Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dehumidifier Guide

• 15-10-2015 8:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

I see that there are a lot of people asking about dehumidifiers not only on Boards but on other forums as well so I thought I'd be helpful and write a short dehumidifier guide.

Desiccant vs Compressor

There are basically two types of full size dehumidifiers. These are desiccant units and compressor units.

In Ireland (generally speaking) it is better to use desiccant dehumidifiers as these units are more efficient at temperatures below 20C.

Desiccant units also operate at lower temperatures than compressor units as the coils or rods in the compressor units can get too cold which affects the efficiency of the dehumidifier.

Most user guides of compressor dehumidifiers state that the unit will work down to temperatures of around 5C but in reality their function is really impacted at 10C or less (depending on the model of course).

Compressor units also release fluoro gases so they aren't environmentally friendly as such.

Due to their compressor parts compressor units are also noisier and heavier than desiccant units.

Water Tank

A typical domestic water tank holds around 2 litres of water though some tanks maybe slightly smaller (1.5L) or larger (3L).

Ensure that the water tank is located on the bottom of the unit and is easily accessible and not hidden behind the filter which you would have to remove first (in fairness only a few models are set up like this).

See if the tank has a lid to avoid spillage when removing a full tank and try to see if there are comfortable carry handles (the little things in life count).

If you are planning on running the dehumidifier continuously a continuous drainage option will make your life easier.

There are 2 types:

1) Gravity types which uses gravity to pull the water down. In this case the unit has to be located above the sink or drain.

2) Motorised types which can pull the water up into a drain or sink (of course these tend to break down more often)

Filter

Most dehumidifiers come with a standard dust filter which is fine for general use.

Make sure to clean the filter every 2-3 weeks for optimum efficiency of the unit (and lower running costs!!)

If you want cleaner air, or have people in the property who suffer from respiratory problems such as hay fever, asthma etc, then an anti-bacterial filter will help these people breathe easier.

Also an ioniser will really help these people as ionisers take positive ions such as dirt, pollen and mould spores etc, out of the air resulting in a better air for breathing.

Laundry Mode

If drying lcothes inside get a dehumidifier with a Laundry Mode function.

By drying clothes indoors you can elevate the relative humidity (RH) level by up to 30% causing a perfect breeding ground for Aspergillus Fumigatus spores which can cause severe, permanent respiratory problems.

A dehumidifier will of course keep the RH down thus ensuring that spores are kept at bay and that your walls and windows remain condensation free.

Other Features

Some other features that I would like to see are a digital LED screen which shows the humidity reading (otherwise purchase a very cheap damp meter or hygrometer as they are also known).

A timer function is also great as you can leave the dehumidifier running when you go to work or take the kids to school etc.

All dehumidifiers turn off when the water tank is full so there is no danger of spillage or leakage when you are away.

I'll add more later but now I have to put the kids to bed.

Feel free to pm with any questions etc.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I have a cheap one from argos:

This one to be specific

It looks like a compressor one but it does the job nicely even in a cold room, seems to heat the room a bit as well.

There's no filter I can see that can be cleared replaced either.

Do you have a recommendation for any modestly priced ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have the Ecoair DD122 mini which is a dessicant dehumidifier which I picked up for €172 last year. It works very well at low temperatures which is usually the case over winter while I'm at work. Conveniently it also gives out low levels of heat. Apparently they are quieter than the compressor types (at least I can't hear it on the low setting when it's in the next room).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Picked up the €150 Silvercrest one in Lidl during the week, 450 W, 5.5L tank, compressor. Put it on before going to bed and the tank was half full in the morning. Controller seems to go funny from time to time but plugged it out and back in again and it seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Are these only for one room or would it do an average sized semi detached house having a baby in spring so don't like the idea of having Windows open all the time is the lidi one good? Might look out for one in the sales

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Are these only for one room or would it do an average sized semi detached house having a baby in spring so don't like the idea of having Windows open all the time is the lidi one good? Might look out for one in the sales

If there is a baby in the house I'd suggest a dehumidifier with an anti-bacterial filter and ioniser for cleaner air to avoid any possible respiratory problems that may occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Im actually taking the lidl one back for refund and going to get this instead. A lot quiter and slimmer.

http://www.did.ie/delonghi-compressor-free-compact-dehumidifier-dnc65-prd

fiestaman wrote: »
    Im actually taking the lidl one back for refund and going to get this instead. A lot quiter and slimmer.

http://www.did.ie/delonghi-compressor-free-compact-dehumidifier-dnc65-prd

That's one of my three favourite dehumidifiers. Great choice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gherkin

That's one of my three favourite dehumidifiers. Great choice. :D

Can I ask what's the other two?:)

• Advertisement

gherkin wrote: »
    Can I ask what's the other two?:)

Meaco DD8L and EcoAir DD122MK5. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

I got recently EcoAir DD122MK5 and it is brilliant. Normally operates at night in other rooms or during day in our bedroom. For the first few nights the tank was nearly full but is half full now (after 8 hours in auto mode). Tried laundry mode and worked like magic.
    Do recommend to get some unit to measure humidity as well. Bought one off eBay for 5 beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I bought this and it was delivered Monday.
    It is the most impressive thing I've bought in a long time!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HO962RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've bought small little dehumidifiers before and was impressed that it would collect any water (I've also used those little damp rid things!)

This is collecting litres and litres during the day! I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I just need a dehumidifier for the laundry room and shower room - neither have windows, just fans, which aren't enough when the condenser dryer runs, or after showers when the whole shower room is dripping. I've looked into the 3 favourites:

EcoAir DD122MK5 £205 Amazon, couldn't find an Irish shop (€242.00 at todays' rate of exchange)
    Meaco DD8L £164.45 Amazon again (€195.50)
    Dimplex Dehumidifier DXDH10IR - €199.99 at DID

And I'm wondering if I'd manage with something cheaper. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Also looking for a good option and can't seem to get any delivered from Amazon.
    Anyone have any idea where the recommended units can be gotten in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hope its ok to bump this thread as the opening post has great info. Any more info people can give on dessicant dehumidifiers that they have bought? Can't get clothes dried and i am very conscious of dampin the house. We have a two year old and new baby due in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Kalyke wrote: »

Do you use it to help with drying clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

heldel00 wrote: »
    Do you use it to help with drying clothes?

Yes and it is brilliant. Heats up the room as well!!

So i bit the bullet and bought myself the dehumidifier linked above. I just set it up on the landing yesterday, out of curiosity moreso than anything. The container was full by yesterday evening.
    I have it on today in a room that new baby and myself will be sleeping in shortly and have already had to empty it! Quite surprised with how much water/damp there is upstairs.
    We have a big solid fuel stove that heats the downstairs and i suppose we have just kinda forgotten about upstairs.

Am i right in thinking that it might be of benefit to dehumidify each room upstairs and then leave it centrally on the landing and turn it on once or twice a week after that?

• Advertisement

So i bit the bullet and bought myself the dehumidifier linked above. I just set it up on the landing yesterday, out of curiosity moreso than anything. The container was full by yesterday evening.
    I have it on today in a room that new baby and myself will be sleeping in shortly and have already had to empty it! Quite surprised with how much water/damp there is upstairs.
    We have a big solid fuel stove that heats the downstairs and i suppose we have just kinda forgotten about upstairs.

Am i right in thinking that it might be of benefit to dehumidify each room upstairs and then leave it centrally on the landing and turn it on once or twice a week after that?

I use it most days in winter. I leave it in the hall on eco mode. I don’t leave it on at night as it’s too noisy.
    The only days I don’t use it is when it’s dry and windy outside (like yesterday’s beautiful winter day) I had all the windows open and humidity went to approx 55% across the whole house by itself.

And if i use it for drying clothes (which is the reason it actually was bought) would i need to move it to a small room with the clothes on a clothes horse or could i just set it up on the landing?

And if i use it for drying clothes (which is the reason it actually was bought) would i need to move it to a small room with the clothes on a clothes horse or could i just set it up on the landing?

Definitely will dry quicker in a small room with the door closed, especially when the room is heated.
    I have a small heater I use in a room when drying clothes that I leave on low with the dehumidifier (so I don’t need to have the heat on all day in the house)
    It would be worth your while to spend €20 or so to buy a decent hygrometer to see what humidity levels your rooms are at.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bought one of these from Argos maybe 8 years ago, and the amount of water it collects is staggering, I love it!

https://www.ebac.com/dehumidifiers/2650e-18-litre-white-dehumidifier-dd695wh-gb

It's brilliant for drying clothes, too. I usually hang my wash on a clothes airer by the radiator in the kitchen, and I put the dehumidifier right under the clothes, it fits perfectly. If I've washed bed linen too, I usually use the sheets to cover the rest of the laundry and I let them fall on the sides of the airer so that the dehumidifier is somewhat "contained".

Personally I don't find it noisy at all, it has a carbon filter, and I use the collected water on my indoor plants. One of the best purchases I ever made.

(I'm not connected to Argos or EBAC in any way).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Sorry to bump but thought this would be the ideal thread.

Considering buying the EcoAir DD1 Classic MK5 linked to keep condensation off the glass in my small conservatory which is worse in winter and also might have a clothes horse out there and use for drying laundry once or twice a week. Would this be a good fit or is there anything else better on the market? I assume there is no way to auto schedule these to run for a few hours daily. I am imagining night time would be best to run in conservatory when its colder outside?
    I suppose I would have to remember to go and physically switch it on manually each night before I go to bed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

henke wrote: »
    Sorry to bump but thought this would be the ideal thread.

Considering buying the EcoAir DD1 Classic MK5 linked to keep condensation off the glass in my small conservatory which is worse in winter and also might have a clothes horse out there and use for drying laundry once or twice a week. Would this be a good fit or is there anything else better on the market? I assume there is no way to auto schedule these to run for a few hours daily. I am imagining night time would be best to run in conservatory when its colder outside?
    I suppose I would have to remember to go and physically switch it on manually each night before I go to bed?
    The best way to schedule its activity is to use a timer plug/ socket.

New Home wrote: »
    The best way to schedule uts activity is to use a timer plug/ socket.

Yeah I am thinking of using the 8 hour timer on a low setting during the night to see how much it collects and if it makes a difference, but I am wondering though to kick it off would you not need to press the power button on the device? Would it not need to be in an ON state for a timer plug to trigger it with power?

It depends on the device. Mine seems to remember the last setting it was on then it was unplugged last. BTW, I love mine (see link above, or Argos), it works egregiously and I use the water collected for the plants.

Oh, and by the way, Lidl has a humidifier on the special offers list st the moment.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks will look more into it.

Advertisement