Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MMA/UFC Questions for Newbies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,995 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

conroym7 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding BJJ clubs in Dublin.

I've been interested in BJJ for a while now and always said id love to to join and train. I bite the bullet this week and went for an intro class at a club in Dublin city centre. Was an hour long class covering the basic movments etc. Really enjoyed it.

At the end of the class i was asking about the membership fees and couldn't get over the cost, €70 a month for morning only classes. Is this the usual rate in Dublin? Why is it so expensive?

Not sure if this is right thread but seen people above discussing starting BJJ.

The BJJ thread is probably the best place for that stuff.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558818

I pay $35 a week, other places would be $40-50 per week (Australia). Which is slightly more expensive than a high end gym membership here. Which is about where it usually falls.

I'd expect a high end gym membership in Dublin to be e50-80 per month .So BJJ at e70-100 makes sense to me. Coached classes are more expensive to run that free weights areas in a gym.
    Strength and Condition Gyms that have weights plus coaching are more expensive again e100-150 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

This may be more a boxing question, but I think it can refer to MMA as well, but in both the context of boxing and MMA could anyone explain to me what a lineal champion is?

Sound...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

BOHtox wrote: »
    This may be more a boxing question, but I think it can refer to MMA as well, but in both the context of boxing and MMA could anyone explain to me what a lineal champion is?

Sound...
    Fairly sure it just refers to best in specific weight class as the UFC is the stronghold in MMA majority would view the holder of their belts as such.

Could apply to McGregor and Bones Jones who are some examples they hold wins over and were not beaten by the guys wearing the belts referring to the weight class they were won at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Fairly sure it just refers to best in specific weight class as the UFC is the stronghold in MMA majority would view the holder of their belts as such.

Could apply to McGregor and Bones Jones who are some examples they hold wins over and were not beaten by the guys wearing the belts referring to the weight class they were won at.

So Conor is lineal champ at FW, as he was not beaten there and held the title, and Jones at LHW for the same reason despite the fact neither hold the title currently?

It's a continuous title since the beginnings of MMA, that ignores the different promotions and the physical belt. It's not necessarily the best guy in the weight class though. If the lineal champ is fighting outside the UFC. The UFC champ can't get the title, even if he's actually the best. (Aldo wasn't lineal champ for example).
    BOHtox wrote: »
    So Conor is lineal champ at FW, as he was not beaten there and held the title, and Jones at LHW for the same reason despite the fact neither hold the title currently?

The FW lineal title goes back to Shoot in Japan. Which started a FW division in 1990. The first title holder was Kenichi Tanaka. It was eventually won by Noboru Asahi who was champ from 1992 to 1999 (longest reign ever I think). He eventually lost it to Leo Nogueira, who held it on and off it a few times. When he finally lost it, the title jumped around the Hero's and Dream tournaments. It was unified with the Dream title until Hiroyuki Takaya lost to Robbie Peralta in Strikeforce.
    After that Robbie Peralta moved to the UFC. Has some success before losing to Akira Corassani. Who lost Poirier, who then passed it to...
    Conor McGregor. Who still has the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think you missed a step in there Mellor. After Corasanni and before the current lineal champ should be
    Poirier?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If McGregor holds it and never goes back to featherweight to lose it, what happens to it then?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I think you missed a step in there Mellor. After Corasanni and before the current lineal champ should be
    Poirier?

Ah, Must have deleted I line by mistake. I originally had the full lineage there, but it became massive. Thanks for pointing out. Edited now
    If McGregor holds it and never goes back to featherweight to lose it, what happens to it then?

They'll have to somehow consolidate it with some current champs. Which is tricky, as the only other lineage of note is the WEC one. Which also went to McGregor via Aldo. I'm sure it's happened over the years, but its far enough. As fighters tend to retire/change divisions after a lose more so than a win.

GSP is arguable still the lineal WW champ. If he ever comes back he'd have a claim to it. Otherwise, it makes sense to pass it to Hendricks > Lawlor > Woodley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Mellor wrote: »
    Ah, Must have deleted I line by mistake. I originally had the full lineage there, but it became massive. Thanks for pointing out. Edited now

They'll have to somehow consolidate it with some current champs. Which is tricky, as the only other lineage of note is the WEC one. Which also went to McGregor via Aldo. I'm sure it's happened over the years, but its far enough. As fighters tend to retire/change divisions after a lose more so than a win.

GSP is arguable still the lineal WW champ. If he ever comes back he'd have a claim to it. Otherwise, it makes sense to pass it to Hendricks > Lawlor > Woodley

I looked it up and saw that when a fighter left its awarded to the best two in the division that fight afterwards? In that case would the Aldo/Holloway fight determine it?

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I looked it up and saw that when a fighter left its awarded to the best two in the division that fight afterwards? In that case would the Aldo/Holloway fight determine it?

Where did you see that.
    There used to be a good site that kept a list, but I can't seem to find it. There's a list on FightMatrix I think, but it has some mistakes (No Porrier/Akira for a start).

There's no rules really. And there's nobody managing it. If Conor never comes back, most likely history will pick it up from Max v Aldo. But if he does come back who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 oikle

Any good MMA gyms in South Dublin for absolute beginners? Want to train mainly Muay Thai to begin with but having the option of wrestling and jiu jitsu is a plus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

oikle wrote: »
    Any good MMA gyms in South Dublin for absolute beginners? Want to train mainly Muay Thai to begin with but having the option of wrestling and jiu jitsu is a plus.

Heard of a place called SBG or something might be worth checking out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Juat noticed you can buy the ppv through fightpass for 30e which is handy to watch on telly through the xbox

Edit - false alarm blocked out in ireland when going to the purchase page

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ASOT wrote: »
    Juat noticed you can buy the ppv through fightpass for 30e which is handy to watch on telly through the xbox

Definitely wouldn't be geo-blocked here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

callaway92 wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't be geo-blocked here?

Not sure who i posted it in here and not the proper thread; but yeah its for uk and other european countries only. Its being blocked like the normal ufc ppvs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Isn't it €25 through Sky? No buffering issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

How would a fighter improve his cardio, (yep, looking towards Conor here but any fighter in general)

I mean Conor is as fit as a butchers dog but gassed bad, how come?

If a fighter improves his cardio i guess he'd have to maintain that training/lifestyle to keep it up??

Training for it specifically. But there are genetic limirsvti egatcyou can do. Usain Bolt, one if the most athletic men on the planet could never have good cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

By fighting a different style. Conor put a lot of effort into the opening rounds trying to land heavy punches on Mayweather. That is obviously tiring work. Mayweather prepared for it, played heavily defensive and turned it on in the later rounds.

Conor's cardio is by no means bad, it's just his style/preferred way to fight that sees him often tire in the later rounds because he's put so much effort into trying to decapitate his opponent as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He is a sprinter not a marathon runner.

A lot of natural power comes from high twitch fibres. His sister competed in body building so seems to run in the family. Explosive power uses a lot of energy and comes at the cost of endurance.

But there a lots of reasons, particularly sport specific cardio, efficient of movement, style.

You could take a 400m runner and put him in a football match and he would likely struggle due to the stop start nature of the game as opposed to a single prolonged burst that he/she is used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    Training for it specifically. But there are genetic limirsvti egatcyou can do. Usain Bolt, one if the most athletic men on the planet could never have good cardio.

Interesting, so Bolt could never have good cardio, or if he changed his training/lifestyle he could???

scudzilla wrote: »

Interesting, so Bolt could never have good cardio, or if he changed his training/lifestyle he could???
    He'd never have good cardio endurance. Even if he trained for it specifically, he just has too much fast twitch and not enough slow twitch. In other words, built for speed not endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Very good point, might not be cardio specifically but rather adrenaline dump 10 mins in

Quick Q: If somebody is being choked and they don't tap out, but subsequently get knocked out as a result of the choke.....I assume that decision goes down as a sub rather than a KO / TKO?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

$hifty wrote: »
    Quick Q: If somebody is being choked and they don't tap out, but subsequently get knocked out as a result of the choke.....I assume that decision goes down as a sub rather than a KO / TKO?

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

$hifty wrote: »
    If they get choked out it's called a technical submission, if they tap it's called a submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

You get knocked out from impact to the head. Primarily on the jaw or behind the ear. But a hard impact to anywhere on the head or neck can do it.

You get choked out through strangulation. Two forms, a blood choke and air. Blood chokes are more common and involve decreasing blood flow to the brain by applying pressure to the sides of the neck. Sometimes its obvious you are in bad trouble other times you might not feel like you are going out. Air chokes are more on the trachea on the neck and the there is immediate choking or coughing reaction.

cliggg wrote: »
    If they get choked out it's called a technical submission, if they tap it's called a submission.

Lucky me, then. Thanks for the input.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

I am not trying to wind people up here, but is it legal to kick someone in the balls in MMA?
    Cos I think that would be a great tactic, straight out and a kick in the knackers - that way anyone could really win a fight.

Advertisement