Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Expired Passport for Alcohol?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

irish_goat wrote: »
    It is cause you need it to get a new one.

It's not a requirement for getting a new one, though it does make the process easier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's not a requirement for getting a new one, though it does make the process easier.

There's some rule about only being issued so many as well though, so you're always best to give the old one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's not as if your date of birth changes once your passport expires. What a load of balls if they refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I use my expired passport all the time for buying drink, have never once had an issue, even in Tesco and it expired two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Aether wrote: »
    Don't have a provisional yet. And I need a valid passport to get one.

You do not need a passport to get a driving permit.
    Who told you that nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

You have to be 18 to apply for one.

I'm afraid post being post that I'll get it back after the concert and be stuck with no passport at all.

You have to be 18 to but drink too. What's the problem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

I have my expired passport (with the corners cut) that I bring with me for ID, I rarely need it but on the one occasion I did a bouncer said he couldn't accept it because it wasn't a valid passport.
    What!? I didn't realise crossing the threshold of the pub was entering into a different country. Fúcking idiot.

padser wrote: »
    You have to be 18 to but drink too. What's the problem??

If you apply for one on your 18th birthday, it won't be ready for a couple of weeks.

Is that not incredibly obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

desultory wrote: »
    I have my expired passport (with the corners cut) that I bring with me for ID, I rarely need it but on the one occasion I did a bouncer said he couldn't accept it because it wasn't a valid passport.
    What!? I didn't realise crossing the threshold of the pub was entering into a different country. Fúcking idiot.

It has an expiry date, it expired, thus making it invalid.

and the bouncer is the ****ing idiot. .....

Invalid for use as a passport. It still works to show my age and identification.

• Advertisement

Invalid for international travel. Not invalid as a photographic representation of a person that contains their date of birth.

Invalid for international travel. Not invalid as a photographic representation of a person that contains their date of birth.

Its only valid use is for international travel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

By law, I'm required to confiscate your expired passport

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    By law, I'm required to confiscate your expired passport

You personally?? Like a best before passport catcher??

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

desultory wrote: »
    Invalid for use as a passport. It still works to show my age and identification.

It would not be seen as a valid proof of identity by most institutions i.e. banks, insurance companies, government depts etc.

Its only valid use is for international travel

No it's not, stop making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You personally?? Like a best before passport catcher??

Maybe, if I'm wearing a suit

It would not be seen as a valid proof of identity by most institutions i.e. banks, insurance companies, government depts etc.

I agree, and I don't have a problem with that. This is a different situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I agree, and I don't have a problem with that. This is a different situation though.

Not really sure it is. The question is whether the expired passport is good for use as ID. If we are saying its invalid for:
    International travel
    ID for opening a xtra-vision account
    ID for making a withdrawal from your bank account

Then why is it suddenly acceptable for buying drink?

No it's not, stop making stuff up.

You show me the sign in the passport office that says gets you away on holidays and gets you into the boozer.

its a travel document. By default it a valid form of id when its valid. When its an invalid form of id its invalid.
    Then the best before catcher thinks he can take it and its theft.

• Advertisement

Not really sure it is. The question is whether the expired passport is good for use as ID. If we are saying its invalid for:
    International travel

There's no legal obligation to prove your age when buying alcohol. The seller just has to genuinely believe that you're above the age of 18. Hence why you don't get older looking people being asked for ID.

Bank account withdrawals etc have a requirement that ID is shown.

You show me the sign in the passport office that says gets you away on holidays and gets you into the boozer.

its a travel document. By default it a valid form of id when its valid. When its an invalid form of id its invalid.
    Then the best before catcher thinks he can take it and its theft.

Its primary use is as a travel document, but that's not its only use. In official situations, it's also valid for voting and applying for Garda Identification for example.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Joey JoeJoe Junior Shabadoo

Things like this are going to happen when our citizens are denied the right to a universal national identity card like is available in every other European country. I'm not saying mandatory, optional card.

All airlines even accept them for travel within Europe.

There's no legal obligation to prove your age when buying alcohol. The seller just has to genuinely believe that you're above the age of 18. Hence why you don't get older looking people being asked for ID.

that would also be incorrect. There is a onus of proof but its on the seller not the buyer. Genuinely believing isnt a valid form of defense for selling alcohol to a minor.

that would also be incorrect. There is a onus of proof but its on the seller not the buyer. Genuinely believing isnt a valid form of defense for selling alcohol to a minor.

I said that the onus of proof is on the seller?

My phraseology was poor, but by genuine belief I mean belief based on some sort of sound reasoning. Point remains though, an expired passport is a very reasonable basis for proof.

You just quoted my same post twice?

The Garda Age Card is the only valid defence in a court anyway if alcohol is sold to a minor. But for practical purposes, and expired passport and an unexpired passport play the same roles in attempting to determine age.

International travel

Because the ONLY point of it for drinking is to prove I'm over 18, of which it does quite well regardless of it's validity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

You have to be 18 to apply for one.
    Can get a Learner Permit at 17, but it'll take some time as you need to do the Theory test.

Advertisement