Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Miller was decent a few years ago but I honestly think you're overestimating him. He has some losses to very mediocre competition this last couple of years, I'd even say Max Holloway is a level up from him.

I think it blurs our vision sometimes because we're Irish, maybe we forget that McGregor is absolutely top class. People were very worried about the Holloway fight too and McGregor completely blew him out of the water in the end.

If McGregor goes in to every fight 100% fit and healthy then it'll take a lot to stop him I reckon.

I actually think its the opposite. Its because we're Irish that we think Conor is better than he is. I think he COULD be champion and COULD be a great, but he's not going to worry any Top 5's just yet. Hopefully he'll improve with each fight and can be ready when his chance comes.

UFC is a massive step up in quality. Each person he faces will be better than the last and itll be interesting to see how he does. Fingers crossed for the lad.

The interesting thing with the Miller fight is his style. People wonder what Connor's submission defence will be like when properly tested. Miller is a great submission fighter. If you want to talk stats, just look how many of his wins were by submission.

Thing is, Conor should win, but it's not a given. Miller has a height and reach advantage over Conor and some great skills. Just because he's lost some bad fights doesn't mean he's not a threat.

Booked my hotel. Looking forward to hearing the card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

murtaep wrote: »
    “We’re gonna showcase Irish martial artists to the world, it will be an amazing event. I want to put on a show for everyone, and that’s what I’m gonna do. I told you I’d get there and steal the show, I told you I’d drag the UFC back to Dublin and I told you that my team mates would be on that card with me.

“Honestly, I feel like I can predict the future. I dare you to doubt me. I’m gonna beat whoever they put in front of me in Dublin and then I’m going to go and get that belt.”

So the tuf guys will be on the card?

removed comment besides derailing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

dave1982 wrote: »

Thanks Conor without you UFC would never come to Ireland again :rolleyes:

To be fair, Conor's success had a huge part to play in getting the UFC back to Ireland this year. We've been promised for years that they'd be back "next year", and then as soon as Conor gets in, it happens. There's no denying his success has been instrumental.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Thanks Conor without you UFC would never come to Ireland again :rolleyes:

Yea cause look how many times they've been back since their previous visit...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They'll still be back on Paddy's Day though right?

• Advertisement

Yea cause look how many times they've been back since their previous visit...

To be fair, I think it's the increased standard in Irish MMA gyms that's the main reason, not just Conor. We now have a few genuine possibilities for the UFC, compared to the token Irish guy on the card last time. Hopefully it won't take as long to come back next time.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    To be fair, I think it's the increased standard in Irish MMA gyms that's the main reason, not just Conor. We now have a few genuine possibilities for the UFC, compared to the token Irish guy on the card last time. Hopefully it won't take as long to come back next time.

Theres talk of TUF IRE v UK in the next 18 months, so there definitely talents in Ireland besides Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

Any ideas guys which hotel the fighters would be staying in & what was the story with the weigh ins last time? Wouldn't mind getting a few gloves signed.
    I'm sure bisping, Gunnar , Gustafson might be attending if not fighting hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Any ideas guys which hotel the fighters would be staying in & what was the story with the weigh ins last time? Wouldn't mind getting a few gloves signed.
    I'm sure bisping, Gunnar , Gustafson might be attending if not fighting hopefully.

Weigh-ins are open to everyone (but get there early as it was a full house the last time) If you are a member of the UFC Fight Club you get to go to the Q&A which is on before the weigh-ins. I have a wedding on the same day so I won't make the event (gutted)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

5 years ive waited for this! Now im going Benicassim that weekend

wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

With the McGregor doc on next Thursday I would guess tickets are on sale next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

darced wrote: »

Firstly that is absolutely what will be on the card. Secondly why in the name of christ would you be fearful of this? It's absolutely fantastic news. The product that will be here in July will be a Cage Warriors card (of two years ago) rebranded as the UFC and it will sell out in seconds. That has been what their expansion has been all about.

Great news all the same for Irish fighters as it gives them the platform to excel and propel themselves up the promotion.

I'd love to see more Irish fighters signed. Hopefully they'll pick up one more of Holohan, Redmond or Fadipe.

Also expecting the Americans with Irish heritage like Cody Donovan and Joe Proctor to be on the card.

Wilson Reis tweeted yesterday that he wanted on the card. Would love to see him fight live. Super fighter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

The UFC would Definitely be coming back to Dublin with or without McGregor as part of the big European tour, it will sell out because of McGregor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

gallag wrote: »
    The UFC would Definitely be coming back to Dublin with or without McGregor as part of the big European tour, it will sell out because of McGregor though.

Agree and disagree.

McGregor speeded up the process for sure and it would sell out regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

When will tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »
    It's the UFC I don't want a cage warrior standard card, id be delighted with the Irish guys on the undercard and Connor and Norman on the main card .
    We are maybe getting two preliminary fighters as the main event it will be a little underwhelming after the long wait .
    It would be nice to see some big stars fighting live is all.

I understand you don't want a Cage Warriors standard card but reality is it will be. That's what the UFC expansion has been so far. They're doing a bloody great job of it. Not in a month of Sunday would cage warriors sell out te o2 but rebrand te product as UFC and it'll sell out 5 times over.

I just can't understand how people are surprised.

Xlami wrote: »
    I understand you don't want a Cage Warriors standard card but reality is it will be. That's what the UFC expansion has been so far. They're doing a bloody great job of it. Not in a month of Sunday would cage warriors sell out te o2 but rebrand te product as UFC and it'll sell out 5 times over.

I just can't understand how people are surprised.

I see what you mean but can it justify the prices of tickets etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can it justify the prices? No

Will it sell out in less than an hour? Bet yer house on it

scudzilla wrote: »
    Can it justify the prices? No

Will it sell out in less than an hour? Bet yer house on it

You can be sure it will sell out.
    Watching the Q&A with Conor he said he hopes to be on the card.Might be reading too much into it but 1st time he said anything like that.It's usually I'll be on that card!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

You can be sure it will sell out.
    Watching the Q&A with Conor he said he hopes to be on the card.Might be reading too much into it but 1st time he said anything like that.It's usually I'll be on that card!

Yep that seemed very strange "Hopes to"

Anyone know if TUF will have aired by then?

RezwoK wrote: »
    Yep that seemed very strange "Hopes to"

Anyone know if TUF will have aired by then?

I remember Conor said he wanted to fight on the 4th of July card in Vegas, this was before the Dublin card was announced

Its mentioned at 2:05 of this video

I'd say you could sit front row in Cage Warriors for the same price to sit in cheapest UFC seat in nosebleeds. That being said they lowered their prices for first time in 3 years for last London card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The fight card in Germany starts at €50, so I'd imagine it will probably be similarly priced. I think the type of fight card will be determined by what platform they want to show it. We're probably looking at a fight pass card.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Any idea when tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Any idea when tickets go on sale?

I would imagine once they announce the full card, prob around mid april

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

srumball wrote: »
    I would imagine once they announce the full card, prob around mid april

Agghh, I saw something about it but it's gone from my brain.

Think it was Severemma reporting over the weekend as last week in May/first week in June??

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Agghh, I saw something about it but it's gone from my brain.

Think it was Severemma reporting over the weekend as last week in May/first week in June??

Yep. That's it. They did say that that date could possibly change though.

Advertisement