Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zanussi Fjs 1397W Washing Machine still going after 15 years!

• 30-01-2014 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Zanussi Fjs 1397W Washing Machine still going after 15 years!

Yesterday, the Missus called me to say the Washing Machine was busted, she wanted a new one! Hold on, i says let us have a look.

It's filling and draining fine, It's just the drum is refusing to turn.

So i put a hand in to the drum, moves smoothly by hand, with a small bit of resistance, proving the belt is fine.

So, that leaves the motor or one of the the two pcb. The speed control pcb situated close to the motor is notorious and had been changed before (about 7 years ago).

It's trying to spin so may not be the pcbs.

So decided to remove and have a look at the brushes. Get the 5.5mm socket out , 2 screws on each brush & 1 connector.

The brushes were well worn but there was still an inch of carbon left on both. Hmmmm!

Decided it was worth chancing the €30 for a new set of brushes. Simple install and Yippee! Working perfectly and sounds like a new washing machine.

So the moral of the story is, think twice about throwing out your old washing machine. A set of brushes and it could be like new!

I know the cheaper brands like Whirlpool & Zanussi are not rated by the Siemens/Miele fans but there is a big price difference and many of the brands share common components such as motors etc.

Hope this helps someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

whirlpool don't last too long without major trouble

you have to be able to fix it yourself or throw it away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

No machine will last 15yr these days, manufacturers want you buying new, 5/6 yrs is average live today, Chinese crap everywhere these days, even zanussi have a few Chinese made models.

• No machine will last 15yr these days, manufacturers want you buying new, 5/6 yrs is average live today, Chinese crap everywhere these days, even zanussi have a few Chinese made models.
    Sad but true, the Chines can build quality stuff as well, but the "consumerism" requires life limited products to function the way it does.

So they build life limited crap, just like almost everyone else. I remember seeing a documentary a few years ago about "planned obsolescence" and it mentioned that in the DDR (former East Germany) domestic appliances were mandated to have a life of 25 years, and they did!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it true that some Bosch models are made in Turkey now? I was told some were Vestel's but I'm not sure.

I did notice some Bosch fridge freezers say Made in Turkey on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my Zanussi FJS 1397W has just given up after 21 years. Serial number says it was manufactured in 1999.
    It's filling and draining just fine but it wont spin. I think im going to go and buy a new one without investigating. I think its served its time.

• Advertisement

• I got about 18 years out of a Hotpoint washing machine, four sets of brushes and replacement suspension springs & dampers, eventually retired it when it started to leak and the noise from the bearing reached that of a of an old motorbike revving up!
    I had a look inside at the circuit board and most of the components were close to burning out, so not worth investing any more time and money on it.
    They don't build them to last as they know it will be thrown out after about 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my Zanussi FJS 1397W has just given up after 21 years. Serial number says it was manufactured in 1999.
    It's filling and draining just fine but it wont spin. I think im going to go and buy a new one without investigating. I think its served its time.

No point in throwing good money after bad, it’s served you well but no time for a trip to the scrapyard

Advertisement