Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Usual, looking for recommendations thing.

Options
  • 07-12-2003 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Lately I've been in a guitar mood, can anyone recommend some good jazz guitarists?
    Vocal-less preferably.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

If you want to hear some INSANE guitar stuff, check out
    Pat Metheny and John Scofield (they also have a collaboration out, an album called "I Can See Your House From Here").

But make sure you lock up your guitar first, coz you'll never want to play again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

George Benson before he decided he wanted to become a pop star instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Names noted, I'll keep an eye open. cheers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kenny Burrell's Guitar forms is a famous album with string arrangments by Gil Evans.

If your into Miles Davis albums like Porgy and Bess you will love this.

you can hear some samples here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1177439&cart=167657420&style=music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Check out Pat Metheny's BRIGHT SIZE LIFE, features Jaco Pastorius on bass (he's the Jimi Hendix of bass players) - you should be able to get it for about €15 in any of the major retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Allan Holdsworth. Fastest guitar solo ever/b] recorded. Madness

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you fancy being adventurous you could try something appropriate for the festive season and something that transcends boundaries in that it is not especially jazz but covers blues folk and you name it and its there the cd is 'the new possibility' by John Fahey. Its truly amazing and definitely worth checking out.

Entertainment Weekly (12/8/00, p.103) - "...Filled with heartfelt and adventurous interpretations of familair and durable holiday melodies, NEW POSSIBILTY has been a deserved insider favorite since its 1968 release." - Rating: A Mojo (5/01, p.121) - "...A brilliant 1968 Christmas album...no matter the time of year, we can take out the tinsel again....The CD is a true rarity: music so gorgeous it ultimately defies labelling.

Quotes are taken from the cduniverse site and the link is

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1165774&cart=167959762&style=music

As usual you can hear some extracts there and see if you like it. I see its on the Takoma label now it used to be on Rhino and available around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Stifler

Originally posted by dub45
    If you fancy being adventurous you could try something appropriate for the festive season and something that transcends boundaries in that it is not especially jazz but covers blues folk and you name it and its there the cd is 'the new possibility' by John Fahey. Its truly amazing and definitely worth checking out.

Entertainment Weekly (12/8/00, p.103) - "...Filled with heartfelt and adventurous interpretations of familair and durable holiday melodies, NEW POSSIBILTY has been a deserved insider favorite since its 1968 release." - Rating: A Mojo (5/01, p.121) - "...A brilliant 1968 Christmas album...no matter the time of year, we can take out the tinsel again....The CD is a true rarity: music so gorgeous it ultimately defies labelling.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1165774&cart=167959762&style=music

As usual you can hear some extracts there and see if you like it. I see its on the Takoma label now it used to be on Rhino and available around town.

Sounds good i'll check that out soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by dub45

Yeah, I'm a massive Fahey fan. You heard his new, posthumous, album? Mneh. Although his stuff with Jim O'Rourke and Cul de Sac is really good, too. Although, shouldn't Fahey be on a Folk board? :)

Derek Bailey is worth checking out, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by s0l
    Lately I've been in a guitar mood, can anyone recommend some good jazz guitarists?
    Vocal-less preferably.

Django Reinhardt's stuff is pretty great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement