Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gaiety

Options
  • 13-09-2003 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Seems a nice place,went last weekend, bouncers are good natured :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

they have a policy of refusing ppl under 21 which is illegal,but now there's that new law letting them do just that, so some more places might come on the band wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

I take it all back, bouncers are c*nts lol ! They refused a load of my mates who were under 21!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah when I was 18 i got in no problem but a few of my mates weren't allowed in. Mustn't have got ID'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

No offfence but why would any place want under 21's on the premises? They have little or no money to spend and they are wrapped up in a world driven by vanity whereby each and everyone (despite the vociferous exclamations to the contrary) feels the need to prove something to themselves and others. It's not as if these places have little to choose from, there is in fact an abundance of monied respectable over 21's queuing up to be let into these places, why would management waste their time with demographically identified sources of trouble?

And, no, it's not illegal to turn away under 21's. Each and every premises is completely free to set their own rules regarding admittance. Until such point as you own a stake in said establishment you are not *entitled* to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by MojoMaker

And, no, it's not illegal to turn away under 21's. Each and every premises is completely free to set their own rules regarding admittance.

Bollocks.

They're allowed have dress codes and the like, but you can't have discriminatory rules of admittance based of race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation etc... which would stand contrary to the Equality Status Act 2000 - see http://www.equality.ie/.

However, as someone already pointed out, there's a section in McDowell's new Intoxicating Liquor Act giving establishments the right to refuse admission the basis of age. The Equality Authority were not very happy with this at all, but it seems they've been ignored. What that all means then, I'm not sure, I guess it'll be up to the courts if/when someone takes a case against a bar/club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Yeah I think this Act is absolutely stupid, not only section 25 the amendment to the Equality act but allot of the act is complete ****e

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Was in the gaeity last night alright. Lovely bouncers alright especially the auld fella on the main door, but 14 euro admission is a bit cheeky.

Think ill just stick to break for the border and bruxelles. hmmm free in :)

So Mojo do they keep the under 21's seperate so Posers can have a place to themsleves like the gaiety? Thats just ageisim on your part bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

BFTB is gone too gay now....bruxelles is alright but would never set the night on fire. M8 of mine works in the GAeity and apparantly theer is savage craic to be had both during and after their working hours....
    Bouncers?...well bouncers are bouncers....especially in dublin :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by tibor
    Bollocks.

They're allowed have dress codes and the like, but you can't have discriminatory rules of admittance based of race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation etc... which would stand contrary to the Equality Status Act 2000 - see http://www.equality.ie/.

However, as someone already pointed out, there's a section in McDowell's new Intoxicating Liquor Act giving establishments the right to refuse admission the basis of age. The Equality Authority were not very happy with this at all, but it seems they've been ignored. What that all means then, I'm not sure, I guess it'll be up to the courts if/when someone takes a case against a bar/club.

"Bollocks"? - You’re after contradicting your self! As pointed out the Equality Status Act 2000 was amendment -

"Section 25 contains two amendments to the Equal Status Act 2000. The first amendment safeguards the discretion of licensees in relation to the presence of persons under the age of 18 in bars of licensed premises (section 34 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1988 as substitutedby section 14 of this Act). This is in line with recommendations of the Commission on Liquor Licensing and the Strategic Task Force on Alcohol. The second amendment provides that a licensee may set a minimum age for the sale and consumption of alcohol which is above the statutory minimum of 18 as long as the policy is publicly displayed and is implemented in a non-discriminatory manner." - .http://www.justice.ie/802569B20047F907/vWeb/flJBDN5PWJRU/$file/intoxicating+liquor+act+2003.pdf

If they really wanted they could put the age up to 50. I find it hard to see the "non-discriminatory manner" piece working

• Advertisement

No offfence but why would any place want under 21's on the premises? They have little or no money to spend and they are wrapped up in a world driven by vanity whereby each and everyone (despite the vociferous exclamations to the contrary) feels the need to prove something to themselves and others. It's not as if these places have little to choose from, there is in fact an abundance of monied respectable over 21's queuing up to be let into these places, why would management waste their time with demographically identified sources of trouble?

And, no, it's not illegal to turn away under 21's. Each and every premises is completely free to set their own rules regarding admittance. Until such point as you own a stake in said establishment you are not *entitled* to get in.

“They have little or no money to spend”

Yes, some of them, others (including my self) work for a living and have a larger disposable income then people with large loans, a car, a family etc…

The age groups in general is known to spend more on drink as in general (again) they drink more recklessly.

“they are wrapped up in a world driven by vanity whereby each and everyone (despite the vociferous exclamations to the contrary) feels the need to prove something to themselves and others.”

A generalisation, which I don’t think would change much from most other age groups.

I'm sorry dude, but statistically young males (<21) are the vainest segment of society. By vanity I'm not necessarily referring to overt displays of narcissism but the immature state of mind which leads one to be more influenced by what others think of you and the practice of adjusting one's outward actions accordingly.

Among other reasons, why do you think young males get charged the most for car insurance? Here's a clue, it's not because they are objectively poor drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Isnt it great that people dont make vast, sweeping generalisations anymore?
    All people under 21 have no cash is what you are basically saying.
    And anyone over 21 has money and isnt vain to the point that under21s are. "Demographically identified sources of trouble"?
    Does everyone under the age of 21 qualify as a troublemaker?
    You are being ageist to the nth degree. And also quite ridiculous.
    Im 22. I went to the Gaiety two years ago, I think it was. I had plenty of money. I am by NO means vain and I dont feel the need to prove myself to others. Im not a troublemaker. Never have been. Are you really going to tell me that Im the exception to the rule, cos I really dont think so.

A troublemaker will cause trouble no matter how old or young s/he is. Someone is vain no matter their age. Money has little to do with age.

I'm sorry dude, but statistically young males (<21) are the vainest segment of society. By vanity I'm not necessarily referring to overt displays of narcissism but the immature state of mind which leads one to be more influenced by what others think of you and the practice of adjusting one's outward actions accordingly.

I'll take that as mostly true and it's what I allready beleved, but as "embee" said you did make a sweeping generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Among other reasons, why do you think young males get charged the most for car insurance? Here's a clue, it's not because they are objectively poor drivers...

anything to back this up? statistics i mean.

For the first part read any psychology 101 text and for the second part ask any insurance broker.

Don't worry, you usually grow out of it!

Originally posted by embee
    Isnt it great that people dont make vast, sweeping generalisations anymore?
    All people under 21 have no cash is what you are basically saying.
    And anyone over 21 has money and isnt vain to the point that under21s are. "Demographically identified sources of trouble"?
    Does everyone under the age of 21 qualify as a troublemaker?
    You are being ageist to the nth degree. And also quite ridiculous.
    Im 22. I went to the Gaiety two years ago, I think it was. I had plenty of money. I am by NO means vain and I dont feel the need to prove myself to others. Im not a troublemaker. Never have been. Are you really going to tell me that Im the exception to the rule, cos I really dont think so.

A troublemaker will cause trouble no matter how old or young s/he is. Someone is vain no matter their age. Money has little to do with age.

Embee, you are female, and as such are statistically more like to have developed a mature attitude by 22. The same is not always applicable to young lads, hence the majority of the refusals from the Gaiety and others. Just making an objective point. The management of these establishments reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone, without reason, anytime. Sometimes it's your turn, sometimes it's not. What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

What a dump (2 years ago), the bar was like something out of the 70s while the toliets were like something out of the middle ages. The play i went to see was pretty crap also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It makes commom sence to have an older ish crowd

simply cause they are more likely have to have money .. and matureity etc

I mean the older you get the more money you make

so haveing a young crowd will deter alot of people who are older

also they have to have somekind of policy of who gets in and who doesn't

yeah it's crap when it happens to you .. but I'd rather feel safe in the knowledge that there isn't a load of scumbags there than getting refused once or twice
    (ps not callin anyone here a scumbag!)

The Merchantile, another ****hole to add to the list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

14 euro. wow i never heard of a nite club as expensive. what day of the week was that?

i thought 10 euro was bad!!

Originally posted by Tiesto
    14 euro. wow i never heard of a nite club as expensive. what day of the week was that?

i thought 10 euro was bad!!

A very good way of getting more of the people they want.

The qusestion should not be what night, but how good it is and if it's for you or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

it would want to be very good for 14 euro entry :)

Advertisement