Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the most ridiculous argument you've ever heard??

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I once knew a girl who was adamant that there was the same amount of alcohol in a 330ml bottle as in a 500ml can, because they both had 4% alcohol. She didn't get the concept of percentages.

It's surprising and disappointing how many people think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Hotale.com wrote: »
    It's surprising and disappointing how many people think this.

I'd say it's well over 100%, if you tally up the different survey findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tiablue

any argument on facebook is usually pretty pathetic pmsl :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The argument that claims the death penalty is a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

People who say having legal Irish citizenship and a passport still don't make you Irish, had many debates with my dad about this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Adamocovic wrote: »
    People who say having legal Irish citizenship and a passport still don't make you Irish, had many debates with my dad about this!

You have to be able to speak fluent Irish and love GAA to be proper Irish. Anyone who doesn't do either of these just another West Brit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Tayto vs King

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I once knew a girl who was adamant that there was the same amount of alcohol in a 330ml bottle as in a 500ml can, because they both had 4% alcohol. She didn't get the concept of percentages.

Yes - exactly - I think there are quite a lot of people who make this mistake ...

Tayto vs King

Now thats fighting talk haha

If you moved to china and got a chinese passport, Would you be chinese??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Ireland should be a single political entity (aka united) because all the counties are all joined together without sea water getting in between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

2 junkies on the train, man and a woman. The fella had a combat fighter jet magazine with him. As they were getting off, the centrefold page about an F-15 fighter fell out of his magazine on to the ground. Yer wan turns around and yells 'Tomo yer bleedin F-15 fighter is on da grou-ind'. As they were so mashed, an argument then ensues about whether it was from his magazine or not. Whole carriage was in stitches after.

tiablue wrote: »

In terms of citizenship, there's nothing else they could be - see article 8.

Ha not a place for debating on this thread but if you had Chinese citizenship then you can be classified as Chinese. Irish is the word given to the people of Ireland, a citizen is a person who is legally from Ireland, you are legally from her because it is the place of your birth, if someone moves here at a young age and legally becomes a citizen they're as Irish as you.

But again this isn't a place for debates just a place to say our most ridiculous argument, if you would like to follow up I'd suggest a pm rather than post here :)

Ha not a place for debating on this thread but if you had Chinese citizenship then you can be classified as Chinese. Irish is the word given to the people of Ireland, a citizen is a person who is legally from Ireland, you are legally from her because it is the place of your birth, if someone moves here at a young age and legally becomes a citizen they're as Irish as you.

But again this isn't a place for debates just a place to say our most ridiculous argument, if you would like to follow up I'd suggest a pm rather than post here :)

National identity is completely subjective, regardless of citizenship or passports. Total grey area

FunLover18 wrote: »
    National identity is completely subjective, regardless of citizenship or passports. Total grey area

Well national identity is a feeling of belonging, I am talking about a legal stand point, but as I said I'd say we should just move on and not clog up this thread.

FunLover18 wrote: »

That is true, but that can be easily clarified by bringing in national identity cards.

Met someone who claimed to be a "vegetarian" who said it was cruel and wrong to eat meat but she found no problem in eating fish because "we'll thats different, fish aren't like animals at all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Atheism is a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Libertarianism.

• Advertisement

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Atheism is a religion.

Of course it's not but a lot of the atheists I know are extremely zealous in their atheism and, ironically, are more likely to preach to me than any of my religious friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Atheists are smarter than Religious people"

One of the most egotistical things I have ever heard. But lets be honest, out of all the religions in the world, out of what... the few billion people who believe in something... they are all "stupid" accordingly :pac:

Of course this really isnt about beliefs and atheism. It's about certain people blowing themselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I once had an argument with my brother who tried to convince me Maynooth was in Dublin......

First of all I was annoyed because I was pointing it out to him on the god damn map and second of all I was annoyed that he could be so stupid!!! He was 13 at the time but I still don't think his stupidity was justifiable. He wasn't even trolling me, stupid brother is stupid. He realised half way through the argument I was right but being his stubborn self he wouldn't give in.

I punched him in the end....

Whenever I bring that story up now, I get something thrown at me. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Not believing in multiculturalism makes you a racist.

Mike747 wrote: »
    Not believing in multiculturalism makes you a racist.

Most of the time, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wow...pages of absolute bollocks talk trying to justify the invasion of Iraq in a thread entitled "What's the most ridiculous argument you've ever heard??"

The irony...

:pac:

Tony EH wrote: »
    Wow...pages of absolute bollocks talk trying to justify the invasion of Iraq in a thread entitled "What's the most ridiculous argument you've ever heard??"

The irony...

:pac:

Or "google it" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

That eating meat is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

That Linda Martin is actually a human being.

• Advertisement
Advertisement