Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jim_Hodge wrote:
    But we're still advised to keep contacts and outings at a minimum . Hence we switched to fortnightly shopping to reduce our exposure.

Dunnes are correct I'm afraid, it's just your fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Dunnes are correct I'm afraid, it's just your fault!

To the benefit of Lidl in my case I'll keep the thread updated on how much I'm saving over Dunnes for the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    But we're still advised to keep contacts and outings at a minimum . Hence we switched to fortnightly shopping to reduce our exposure.

Could I suggest changing to every 10 days instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Allinall wrote: »
    For the rest- Cleaning products, drinks etc., the reduction of less than 2% would be very difficult to notice, even if it was all passed on.
    Of course it is easy to notice. Something that was 99c is now 97c, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Truckermal wrote: »
    I asked nicely for them to accept the 4 of them but when the rude Manager arrived I left the lot there.

Cork for ya boi :eek:, friendly staff in Newbridge let me know a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

guil wrote: »
    Cork for ya boi :eek:, friendly staff in Newbridge let me know a few weeks ago

Ah ye oul Kildare Hoors are all the same...:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

I used to do all my shopping in Lidl and I still miss their bakery but after the fourth time I got home to discover that one of my items wasn't properly packaged and stale/mouldy as a result I switched to dunnes. There is a price difference and I miss things from Lidl but so far no mouldy fruit hidden in the bags, no open packaging, no out of date products. I also save because I'm not buying special offers and tools that I don't need. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Just bumping this thread, agree with many posters here, for a few basic items now just going to self checkout you end up nearly close to 50 euro of spending.

I'm working from home for the next month or two so need to rethink my shopping strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Just bumping this thread, agree with many posters here, for a few basic items now just going to self checkout you end up nearly close to 50 euro of spending.

I'm working from home for the next month or two so need to rethink my shopping strategy.

Yeah our family and most friends have unfortunately have had to adopt the 2 shop strategy of getting the bulk in Aldi , and then a few other items in Supervalu/Dunnes that you cant get in Aldi.

Its the only way to keep costs under control.

A €100 shop in Aldi could cost us €150-180 in dunnes / supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Yeah our family and most friends have unfortunately have had to adopt the 2 shop strategy of getting the bulk in Aldi , and then a few other items in Supervalu/Dunnes that you cant get in Aldi.

Its the only way to keep costs under control.

A €100 shop in Aldi could cost us €150-180 in dunnes / supervalu.

In fairness to dunnes, supervalu and evening Tesco, their food is overall way superior to Aldi and Lidl. You are getting similar food but not the same quality. That is why it’s more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

In fairness to dunnes, supervalu and evening Tesco, their food is overall way superior to Aldi and Lidl. You are getting similar food but not the same quality. That is why it’s more expensive.

Are you saying Dunnes , Tesco, Supervalue ownbrand is better quality than Aldi/Lidl own brand or that brand name similar foods are better than Aldi / Lidl. ?

In my opinion any processed food is equally poor quality be it Aldi or Dunnes ect.
    Fresh food, whole foods are the same no matter what shop you buy them in , only difference between an Aldi banana and a Dunnes banana is price.
    The brand name Fizzy drinks , sweets things and tea/ coffee are the only things I would notice a difference in. I'll stick to my favourite brands for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I shop in Dunnes, I have found my shopping is creeping up. I would have averaged maybe 160 a week where as Im up to 180ish now. Typically week on week buying alot of the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not from my experience. I prefer Aldi for a lot of stuff. I go to Dunne's for fish if I miss the fishmonger van and I buy some meat, bread in butcher's, baker's or farmer's market. For basic food stuff Aldi perfectly fine and I really did not notice that Dunnes eggs would be any better. I don't buy that much of processed stuff. However I wouldn't buy whole chicken or leg of lamb in any of the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The meat in Aldi & Lidl is far better than the meat in Dunnes or Tesco in my opinion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Actually I got pork chops in Dunne's for yesterday's dinner (my usual butcher's is closed due to fire) there was so much water in them that they wouldn't even properly brown. Pork chops are not great in any supermarket but those were particularly bad. (I t could be just a really bad batch).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Aldi for all the basics and meat

Marks and spencers if feeling lazy or wanting a treat.

I always thought dunnes and tesco were similarly priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Dunnes is tremendously overpriced and that voucher deal is a gimmick that takes in far too many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The meat in Aldi & Lidl is far better than the meat in Dunnes or Tesco in my opinion.

I concur. Far more transparent with the traceability. Aldi Beef is very nice and a wide selection of chicken products compared to other supermarkets.
    Aldi also have a lot of products from small Irish producers (they would be more expensive products).
    Aldi freezer aisle is far superior to others too.
    But I do like my brand name sauces etc so stock up when on offer in dunnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Super Value for me. I spend 50 a week on food for myself and find the lidil and Aldi veg just goes off very quick. I also think the spuds are awful out of lidil.

I'd probably save 15 a week going to lidil or Aldi but since it's just for myself supervalue.

I agree on Lidl potatoes. Maybe it's the plastic bags but they just aren't as good. Some Lidl fruit and veg (lose tomatoes, pears, peaches...) are superior to any main supermarket offering. None of them are great though from perspective of someone who grew up in warmer country.

I'm actually fairly relaxed about food despite impression created here but I do have my preferences. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Ciaranis wrote: »
    Dunnes is tremendously overpriced and that voucher deal is a gimmick that takes in far too many people.

This may be so, yet I find I easily spend less shopping exclusively in Dunnes (w. meat from butchers separately) than when I was alternating between Tesco, Supervalu and Aldi, and for the most part one shop does me for the week where it didnt before.

I agree with comments on the meat though, especially the beef. Even their more expensive ranges are really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually I got pork chops in Dunne's for yesterday's dinner (my usual butcher's is closed due to fire) there was so much water in them that they wouldn't even properly brown. Pork chops are not great in any supermarket but those were particularly bad. (I t could be just a really bad batch).

Pork in general in dunnes is crap. The chips in Aldi I find to be the best. The chickens in Dunnes are good though

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Biggest elitist horse manure I’ve read in a long time. Really need a reality check kiddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The voucher deal was good when I included booze. I'd happily go in to dunnes to pickup whatever I couldn't get in Aldi plus a few bottles of wine to bring it up to €50. Now it's pointless, it's my local shop but I buy as little as possible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would say half the country would argue that point with you. The meat & Dairy in particular is very good quality.

Where Supervalu and Dunnes can be better is fresh fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pork in general in dunnes is crap. The chips in Aldi I find to be the best. The chickens in Dunnes are good though
    Triple cooked frozen chips in Aldi are amazing, better than any (bar those from a proper chipper)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ciaranis wrote: »

Yeah the way I see Dunnes is that if they can afford to give you a 20% discount off a 50 euro shop and still make profits than that means that all their prices were inflated by 20% by them to begin with. Which means customers like me who dont spend 50 euro in one go get shafted. As a result I avoid shopping there because their marketing tells me I'll be paying 20% more than what is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Biggest elitist horse manure I’ve read in a long time. Really need a reality check kiddo.

And whatever about claiming Dunnes and SV is better quality, claiming that Tesco is better? I don't rate Tesco at all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

I actually find the meat in Dunnes Stores is the worst out of the lot of them.

Their fruit and Veg though is on another level.

I dont understand though why people dont use a good quality butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 postpandemic

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    I actually find the meat in Dunnes Stores is the worst out of the lot of them.

Their fruit and Veg though is on another level.

I dont understand though why people dont use a good quality butcher.

Depends on the branch I think. I generally stick to the local butcher for meat and Dunnes for the rest. When I was feeling particularly rich, I’d stroll round M&S .....but then only leave with a packet of Percy Pigs. Due to Brexit, that luxury is only a distant memory. Oh well!

Advertisement