Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Links Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭ Oaklyn Attractive Slothfulness

rooney30 wrote: »
    For a measly extra 30 quid you could have had an unforgettable experience at Dooks . Each to their own I suppose .

I picked up a voucher online a couple of weeks ago for a Dooks 2 ball for 120e.
    That will be combined with another 2 players @ 100e a head in Dooks, followed by Waterville @75e a head and Doonbeg @75e a head.
    3 courses in 3 days for a combined total of 230e per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I picked up a voucher online a couple of weeks ago for a Dooks 2 ball for 120e.
    That will be combined with another 2 players @ 100e a head in Dooks, followed by Waterville @75e a head and Doonbeg @75e a head.
    3 courses in 3 days for a combined total of 230e per person.

Very good deals for Waterville and Doonbeg, How did you manage to get them?

etxp wrote: »
    Very good deals for Waterville and Doonbeg, How did you manage to get them?

Trip planned for late March, just before the high season begins so you get decent GUI rates then.

Waterville all upfront, Doonbeg 25% and I think Dooks was 50% upfront so not a huge outlay. All very flexible if things change with Covid.

Trip planned for late March, just before the high season begins so you get decent GUI rates then.

Waterville all upfront, Doonbeg 25% and I think Dooks was 50% upfront so not a huge outlay. All very flexible if things change with Covid.

Will you be playing off mats in Doonbeg though at that time?

Will you be playing off mats in Doonbeg though at that time?

Nov 1st to March 17th is the dates I've come across from previous years. We're after March 17th so taking our chances with it. As I said only 25% upfront for Doonbeg so if mats are in play then we can move it.

• Advertisement

• Co. Louth doing a good deal at €69 a head for a fourball over the winter months. Details on their website with some T&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Exactly wrote: »
    Co. Louth doing a good deal at €69 a head for a fourball over the winter months. Details on their website with some T&C.

I wonder if fairways in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Playing Baltray on Thursday in their team event...looking forward to it and praying for some sunshine!

• I wonder if fairways in play.

Not 100% sure but think it said mats in December & January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

rooney30 wrote: »
    For a measly extra 30 quid you could have had an unforgettable experience at Dooks . Each to their own I suppose .

I've played it a few times before so I know what I was missing, but I just couldn't justify the stretch this time. I much prefer Waterville - views are just as good and the course is miles better - but that would have been an ever bigger stretch!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Strandhill this morning, Jazuz it was the bitterest of winds, course was playing perfect but I thought they were not cutting the greens tight enough, €35

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Had to cancel Rosapenna for next weekend. Heartbreaking.

Rerouted to Royal Portrush and Catlerock which is just filling me with happiness.

I don’t think I can take another forced cancellation. Cross your fingers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

thewobbler wrote: »
    Had to cancel Rosapenna for next weekend. Heartbreaking.

Rerouted to Royal Portrush and Catlerock which is just filling me with happiness.

I don’t think I can take another forced cancellation. Cross your fingers for me.

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    How much?

£150 and £55 respectively (and £30 for riverside Portstewart).

Far too much for a round of golf but it’s not that an expensive a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Playing Arklow on Friday for the first time. How would anyone on here who has played here rate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Nov 1st to March 17th is the dates I've come across from previous years. We're after March 17th so taking our chances with it. As I said only 25% upfront for Doonbeg so if mats are in play then we can move it.

Probably mats in Waterville and dooks. Usually mid April before fways in play(weather dependent)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Exactly wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but think it said mats in December & January.

Mats usually in play Nov - Feb

Would you even pay over 70 euro for a game of golf off mats.

Then answer from me is no, no matter where it was.

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Probably mats in Waterville and dooks. Usually mid April before fways in play(weather dependent)

I called both and they said highly unlikely in both situations noting rates increase within 1 week of us visiting.

Usually off by early March in both cases but we'll see what happens.

Would you even pay over 70 euro for a game of golf off mats.

Then answer from me is no, no matter where it was.

Augusta?

• Advertisement

Augusta?

Not a links
    Off topic
    :D

Not a links
    Off topic
    :D

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I played St Andrew’s Old Course off mats a few years back. Of course it’s a compromise in terms of experience and shot making, but it was still St Andrews!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Played Portmarnock old yesterday in a team event in lovely weather. Incredible conditioning. Wonderful course even if less exciting then the big west or north-west coast links courses that I've played. Greens to die for. An excellent challenge. Not a weak hole or part of the course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pricing is always debatable, sometimes I leave a course and say that was great value, but does that immediately mean they should charge more?Sometimes I go, that wasn't worth it but does that mean the green fee should be reduced?
    Impossible to get it perfect, but from recent looks through this thread...

Strandhill €35, great value, no issue paying that for a great true links course
    Portstewart £155, just no, no, no, a very good front nine, probably spoilt by the world class first 3 holes but a weak finishing stretch, deffo way way overpriced IMHO

But Strandhill and Portstewart have set their prices and that's the end of it...play them or don't

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Played Portmarnock old yesterday in a team event in lovely weather. Incredible conditioning. Wonderful course even if less exciting then the big west or north-west coast links courses that I've played. Greens to die for. An excellent challenge. Not a weak hole or part of the course.

i think it's fair to say that it is the best maintained and most manicured course i've ever played. its nearly like someone goes around with a scissors. superb how well the condition of the fairways, greens, paths, tee boxes are. greens were unreal. perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Playing Arklow on Friday for the first time. How would anyone on here who has played here rate it?

Blue tee challenge?

Break 30 points you'll have played well. Course is in immaculate condition ATM. Greens are the best around.

Also, look up Kevin Markham on twitter. He's posted some unreal photos of Arklow over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Seve OB wrote: »
    i think it's fair to say that it is the best maintained and most manicured course i've ever played. its nearly like someone goes around with a scissors. superb how well the condition of the fairways, greens, paths, tee boxes are. greens were unreal. perfection.

Hard to argue against that. Thought it was magnificent when I played it early in the summer. It is subtlety difficult too, and you don't get punished when you think you've hit a good shot. Whilst it isn't as spectacular as the duney courses like Lahinch, it would be the one that I'd happily play everyday.

Playing The Island this weekend which I am looking forward to, one of my favourite courses and yet to play the new holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Played Portrush there on Tuesday, last of their open days for £150 and what a treat it was. Weather was very kind with a nice breeze to keep you honest. An awful long spin up but worth every second of the journey. Free access to the driving range which was top class, trackman before you teed off on the first and the claret jug there for pictures.

The course is absolutely top class, by far the best golf course I've ever played and without doubt the toughest I'll ever play. Pins were same as Sunday at the Open to commemorate it being held there last year and god were they tough. Superb mix of holes, greens absolutely carpet like and very very quick. The run offs and slopes just off the green would make a complete idiot out of anyone.

The rough was up and very tough unless you were on the fairway. I think I had 20 points and to be honest I didn't really care. If you broke 30 round that place you would have played an awesome round of golf. Seeing the scores back from the Open last year having played it, just makes you realise how utterly brilliant they are.

Was an absolute pleasure to play and a real must for any golfer at some point in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

Travelled up to Portrush Monday having cancelled last month due to the weather. Fantastic day from start to finish. The staff and members were so friendly. Weather was perfect, sunny with a slight breeze
    The course itself is fantastic, manicured to perfection. It is definitely the best course I've played.
    The course wasn't overly long from the white tees but was still a great test.
    Finished with 36 points with 3 birdies to go with it. I'd play it every day if I could afford it

Advertisement