Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Witcher 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've just started playing the GOTY edition again today from the start.

Brings back some great but often frustrating memories, the controls are pretty clunky compared to what I remember but I'll plow on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'm genuinely depressed that I've finished it.

I bought the GOTY edition a few months ago but TLOU2 and other games put it on the back burner.

I'd say its a good few years since I last played and completed the standard game so lots to get stuck back into it, already getting the hits of nostalgia chopping up ghouls.

I'm about 10/12 hours in and as usual with the Witcher, I'm doing everything but the main quests.

I'd say I'v at least an hours worth of Gwent played too, forgot how addictive it can get. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm about 10/12 hours in and as usual with the Witcher, I'm doing everything but the main quests.

I'd say I'v at least an hours worth of Gwent played too, forgot how addictive it can get. :pac:

I'm doing the same after buying again on Switch. 35 hours into it now and only getting to Novigrad. Not paying huge attention to ?s on map unless their on my path but mopping up all contracts and other activities. Gwent is such a great distraction from the main activities too. Slay a few monsters, then chill in an Inn and have a cheeky game of Gwent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm genuinely depressed that I've finished it.

I know of at least one way to get over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus, looks like another playthrough is on the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

so it'll look like the PC version? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

so it'll look like the PC version? :D

You mean the PC version that a still relatively small amount of people spent the money on to make it look ridiculous? :pac:

Ah no, games will always look better on PC with the proper spec. It was never a bad looking game on console really, so I'm intrigued to see what it's gonna look like on the 5. Probably more shiny, reflections galore, 60fps. Seems to be the current "next gen" standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Well maybe light sources like castle fires and your torch will actually cast shadows now. Had to mod that in. Will never get the promotional graphics back, though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well maybe light sources like castle fires and your torch will actually cast shadows now. Had to mod that in. Will never get the promotional graphics back, though.

Yeah, its ****ing unplayable without light sources from torches :p

You mean the PC version that a still relatively small amount of people spent the money on to make it look ridiculous? :pac:

Ah no, games will always look better on PC with the proper spec. It was never a bad looking game on console really, so I'm intrigued to see what it's gonna look like on the 5. Probably more shiny, reflections galore, 60fps. Seems to be the current "next gen" standard.

Never modded the game personally, I like the way it looks as standard. It's more how smooth it runs and even with a mid-range PC you can have your 60fps with very minor tweaks [turning off the ridiculous Nvidia 'hair works' for one! and motion blur] I don't have anything special, 2600x/1600 OC and I can run it on mostly ultra , turn off those silly extras and just tweaking a couple of settings and I'm good to go. I do only play at 1080p though, if you can gat it to run as clear, crisp and smooth on the new consoles at 2K or even 4K that would be very sweet

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, its ****ing unplayable without light sources from torches :p

I remember Silent Hill 2 and Blade of Darkness being amazing because of your flashlight/torch casting shadows. Just seemed odd to me that TW3 didn't have it. 4K textures and all this other fancy stuff coming out but what's the point if we're just gonna regress on some of the basics.

Never once during my play through of TW3 did I ever feel I was lacking some extra torch-lighting ... you got cat potion for that or just ... fumble through :D [I did just that mostly and survived!]

^ Most people don't notice these things and I'm pretty much the opposite of a graphics hoe but I honestly don't think Blade of Darkness (2001) tier shadows is asking for much. I disable 90% of post processing. So if the remaster doesn't do what this mod does https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1886 then I'm not exactly interested because it seems AAA games are focusing on graphics elements that I don't care about.

I also modded in auto cat potion. In the books witchers can see in the dark without the need of potions. The whole point of the cat eyes n' all...

I also modded in auto cat potion. In the books witchers can see in the dark without the need of potions. The whole point of the cat eyes n' all...

Now, a mod like that I might be interested in!... too late though, at least for the main story as I've completed it - got the DLC to still finish but not a chance I think I'll ever go through the whole main game again, no matter how pretty they make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Now, a mod like that I might be interested in!... too late though, at least for the main story as I've completed it - got the DLC to still finish but not a chance I think I'll ever go through the whole main game again, no matter how pretty they make it!

I’d be the same. Thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I uncovered each and every question mark on the map but there are just too many other games to play to invest all that time in it again. Blood and Wine enhancements were breathtaking. If you’re haven’t played the DOCs yet then you’re in for a treat. More great storylines too

L'prof wrote: »
    I’d be the same. Thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I uncovered each and every question mark on the map but there are just too many other games to play to invest all that time in it again. Blood and Wine enhancements were breathtaking. If you’re haven’t played the DOCs yet then you’re in for a treat. More great storylines too

I've started Heart of stone, got a bit burned out after finishing the main story so decided to leave it for a bit, it's been a while now really must get back on it! Didn't go as far as to try complete all the side quests or '?' spots, there's just so many! I've clocked 110hrs into the game according to Steam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

II've clocked 110hrs into the game according to Steam!

Pffttt, still a rookie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I've started Heart of stone, got a bit burned out after finishing the main story so decided to leave it for a bit, it's been a while now really must get back on it! Didn't go as far as to try complete all the side quests or '?' spots, there's just so many! I've clocked 110hrs into the game according to Steam!

Heart of Stone is brilliant. The villain in it is great and some super writing.

Pffttt, still a rookie!

How many you got in? I could easily sink another bunch of hours in but it gets boring just doing side stuff tbh

• skerry wrote: »
    Heart of Stone is brilliant. The villain in it is great and some super writing.

His name is a nod to a character from many Stephen King books who appeared under different names. With that alone as source they could have had him in cyberpunk (actually did they?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

How many you got in? I could easily sink another bunch of hours in but it gets boring just doing side stuff tbh

I'm shocked to say 703 hours! But still looking forward to the next playthrough once the ps5 upgrades come out. Haven't played since 2016 sometime so it will be like visiting old friends!

I'm shocked to say 703 hours! But still looking forward to the next playthrough once the ps5 upgrades come out. Haven't played since 2016 sometime so it will be like visiting old friends!

Wow! don't think I've ever put anything close into any game, well, maybe Harthstone over time, been playing that for years

His name is a nod to a character from many Stephen King books who appeared under different names. With that alone as source they could have had him in cyberpunk (actually did they?)

Gaunter O' Dimm? I thought his name was just a reference to 'GOD' as he is immortal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Gaunter O' Dimm? I thought his name was just a reference to 'GOD' as he is immortal

Correct. A CDPR writer confirmed Gaunter was inspired by Randall Flagg sometimes known as Walter O'Dimm and Leland Gaunt from the book Needful Things. Both SK characters.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-23-the-making-of-the-witcher-3s-greatest-villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

It's pretty unreal that the game of the year edition of this with all the dlc is less than a tenner on Xbox sale at the moment and a free next gen update is coming out this year and I've yet to play this! Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's pretty unreal that the game of the year edition of this with all the dlc is less than a tenner on Xbox sale at the moment and a free next gen update is coming out this year and I've yet to play this! Sweet!

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous of you starting off.

A bit of a strange coincidence, but I actually started thinking about how I needed to finish my Yen costume still (I got fed up of all the fine line fiddly bits and threw it in a basket for the last 2ish years), then a few days later, my sister who I bought the game for randomly started playing again after months of not being on Steam... and now this thread has re-emerged.

Advertisement