Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts for bullying

• 04-11-2019 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

If you’ve been a victim of bullying is martial arts good for building confidence again..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Generally speaking, I'd say yes, absolutely. Any martial art with live sparring (BJJ, Kick Boxing, Judo, Boxing, Wrestling to name a few) will give you more confidence in a physical confrontation.

I don't know your situation, but in theory if it's say a school environment where bullying can involve a lot of pushing and shoving then a grappling art would be most useful. It could let you get the upper hand without escalating the situation by striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Generally speaking, I'd say yes, absolutely. Any martial art with live sparring (BJJ, Kick Boxing, Judo, Boxing, Wrestling to name a few) will give you more confidence in a physical confrontation.

I don't know your situation, but in theory if it's say a school environment where bullying can involve a lot of pushing and shoving then a grappling art would be most useful. It could let you get the upper hand without escalating the situation by striking.

I second this, If you can become in anyway proficient in any of the above, you'll essentially become bully prof

So what does proficient mean? if you are doing any of the above for more than a year, training consistently 2-3 times a week minimum I would say, you will be able to handle most situations against an average untrained person

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

If you want to impress any of your school fellows from your martial arts technique, then you don't need to enrol for the course. You just a good grip on these 4 parts and you would be able to make a good lock, grip or throw. Yes, I am referring judo here. You can also try other karate or advanced martial techniques. With YouTube, it is easy to get any lesson online and learn lessons online. These techniques would assist you in building self-defence and confidence.

But it wouldn't help you avoid bullying. You would have to be mentally strong to prevent such situations. In this regard, physical strength wouldn't assist you. If anyone is using martial arts for bullying around you, then you don't need to learn martial arts to teach him a lesson. There are several other ways to avoid. Keep in mind, battles are won by intelligence or the right use of mind. So, don't try to depend on physical strength. You can also consider these ways to face bullying smartly.

On the other hand, if you want to learn martial arts for your own grooming and growth. Then, it is excellent, and I would suggest your judo or karate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Many people start a martial art to learn how to fight, but the reality is that it's hard to replicate a fight in a MA environment. You wont have the frenzy of haymakers or windmilling hands, nor the pure adrenaline that comes with a fight.

That said, a good martial art will teach you to be comfortable with getting hit if you get into an altercation. It will teach you that you are not made of glass. It will also teach you how to control the environment through spacial awareness and angles. You will also learn to control your body... you will still get an adrenaline rush but you are in control so you wont get the dump that always accompanies it. You won't waste uneccessary energy throwing wild punches and leaving yourself open to counters. You pick and choose your moments through experience. Over a long time you will learn muscle memory and you will react without thinking.

All of the above gives you confidence and you will exude that confidence in a manner that says 'dont fcuk with me'. As the staying goes: "fear the calmest person in the room."

Advertisement