Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Band You Cannot See Anymore, Who and When? (Time to Brag Thread)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catseyes

For me it will always be Thin Lizzy at the RDS 1980 (my first ever gig) and again in 83. Still in love after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I was always jealous of my parents for seeing the good bands live especially guns and roses .

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Got to see PanterA in Milton Keynes in 1998. That would be my best example for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Two concerts, both at the same venue and involving some of the same people:
    - 1992: David Sylvian & Robert Fripp at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Seriously good musicianship, but not too serious. With them were Trey Gunn (Chapman Stick) and Pat Mastelotto (drums), both of whom would feature in King Crimson when the reformed a couple of years later, as well as guitarist Michael Brook, who also performed a stunning opening set with his Infinite Guitar.
    - 1995: the reformed "Double Trio" King Crimson, also at the RAH.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Saw Stone Gods support Airbourne in the Ambassador in 2008, I'm really glad I did as it's unlikely they'll ever get back together again.
    Also saw The Blizzards, I wasn't that bothered about seeing them but they've split up so it counts, although they'll probably get back together sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Queen with Freddie at Slane in 1986. To be honest, it was a little disappointing after their Live Aid performance the previous year, but the weather was pretty bad and probably dampened enthusiasm all round.

Guns 'n' Roses at the same venue in '92, that line-up is unlikely to get back together any time soon! Plus, as someone pointed out already, Jim Martin was still in Faith No More when they supported the Gunners that day, so that would be another one.

Mama's Boys in the SFX in 1984, when it was just the three of them.

Oasis, several times :)

Deep Purple with Jon Lord (but not Blackmore) at the old Point (early noughties, would need to check the date on that one).

If we're counting Bowie, I saw him on the Reality tour at the Point as well, the gig that was filmed and released on DVD.

Springsteen and the E-Street Band with Danny Federici and The Big Man (earliest on The Rising tour).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I was always jealous of my parents for seeing the good bands live especially guns and roses .

I feel really old right now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Forgot to mention Black Country Communion, saw them in Vicar St in 2011, brilliant band shame that they disintigrated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

They could get back together, though, although Joe doesn't seem to want to tour with them, at least not extensively. I was at that gig too, shame there won't be many or possibly any more chances to see them.

Forgot about seeing Dio live as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Bob Marley Dalymount Park.

/ thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

3DataModem wrote: »
    Bob Marley Dalymount Park.

/ thread

I'll also throw on Oasis at the Tivoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Not necessarily all great gigs, but ones we'll not see again:

Big Star (in the Red Box with Alex and Jody)
    Horslips (with Carr)
    Wilko Johnson
    The proper Smashing Pumpkins (I saw them twice with Billy, James, D'Arcy and Jimmy)
    Elliott Smith (also in the Red Box)

... and (as Blastman also said) numerous Bruce shows with The Big Man and Phantom Dan.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

hmmm, not sure these might qualify, but bands or top lineups of bands I have seen who won't be doing it again:

Placebo
    The "proper" smashing pumpkins
    Powderfinger
    Anthrax with John Bush, the best lineup in my opinion
    Corrosion of Conformity with Pepper
    Skunk Anansie (though they are still going no?)
    RHCP with Frusciante
    QOTSA with Nick and Joey
    Sneaker Pimps
    Supergrass (who were quite good live I'll admit)
    Bush with the original members (pretty good live too)
    Marilyn Manson with John 5
    Super Furry Animals
    Stone Temple Pilots
    The Eagles in 94 or 95, can't remember

Edit:

Hole
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Biohazard
    Live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Maiden with Blaze... :P

(In fairness it wasn't a bad gig)

Therapy? when Fyffe was still with them.
    Big Country - I was at that gig in the Olympia in 1993 and it was excellent. Saw them again in 1998 (not as good) then their last tour with Stuart in 2000 which was another good show.
    Pantera, SFX in 93, mad gig, people being carried out in bits...class...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I remember Dave Williams at Ozzfest, wasn't a fan of Drowning Pool but they put on a good show and Dave interacted well with the crowd. Was fairly shocked to hear he died a few weeks/months later.

Happy to say I saw Dio a year or two before he died, superb voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

peter1892 wrote: »
    Big Country - I was at that gig in the Olympia in 1993 and it was excellent. Saw them again in 1998 (not as good) then their last tour with Stuart in 2000 which was another good show.

I saw Big Country supporting Page and Plant in the Point. It was supposed to be Sheryl Crow, but she pulled out for some reason. On the night, however, Mark UnpronounceablenameofBigCountry (1980s Smash Hits reference, kids) was ill, so - as I recall - they did their slot without a drummer.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dio in 1998 in Berlin Columbiahalle. One of the few voices that are as convincing live as they are on disc. If I hadn't been a fan already I would have become one that night.
    12 years before that The Cult in Berlin Metropol. They played mostly the 'Love' stuff which is still their most metally album to date I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Being a huge Lizzy fan, when I heard Robbo was playing with his new band in the Crofton Airport Hotel I was the first in the queue. Jimmy Bain from Rainbow and a great first album I thought they would be around for a while. But then again this was Brian Robertson :mad:. Sweet Savage with Vivian Campbell as support, a great night from what I can remember.

76087E973DC442188E665536E84756E3-0000336305-0003303963-00500L-CEB309C3793C4423BBEFC9055FC64275.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

rednik wrote: »
    Being a huge Lizzy fan, when I heard Robbo was playing with his new band in the Crofton Airport Hotel I was the first in the queue. Jimmy Bain from Rainbow and a great first album I thought they would be around for a while. But then again this was Brian Robertson :mad:. Sweet Savage with Vivian Campbell as support, a great night from what I can remember.

76087E973DC442188E665536E84756E3-0000336305-0003303963-00500L-CEB309C3793C4423BBEFC9055FC64275.jpg

Strangest tour dates ever!
    Coleraine - Galway - Dublin then back to Belfast then on to Sligo?
    They should've swapped the Coleraine and Sligo gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, BB King and Chuck Berry - Legends of Rock "tour".

Saw them in 1998 in Esbjerg, Denmark. Apparently the last time they were together was in 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Motorhead, April 1982 with the classic three line up. Philthy Phil, Fast Eddie and God. Devils grip, the Iron Fist.

Slayer 1988. South of Heaven with Dave Lombardo.

Gary Moore, Live in 85.

Gillan on his last solo tour with the Gillan Band, 1982.

AC/DC For Those About To Rock tour before Brian Johnsons voice went to pot.

Saxon 1982 The Eagle Has Landed Tour.

Quiet Riot 1984.

Stereophonics before the boy Cable died.

Terrorvision with the original line up.

Reef in 97.

Nuclear Assault in 89.

Chili Peppers in San Francisco on the Californication tour

Motorhead again on my eighteenth birthday in 89. with Wurzel and Phil Campbell.

Fishbone in 90.

Yes, I am an old git. Although going to see the Stereophonics next Saturday in Brisbane.

forgot.....

Guns n Roses in 88 (at Donnington )

Iron Maiden in 83 on the World Piece Tour, before they had nine guitarists.

Crue on the Theatre of Pain Tour.

Acid Reign, Virus in 90.

Death Angel on The Ultra Violence Tour (what an album), (yes, album).

Morcheeba in 06, Edinburgh.

Dave Lee Roth with Steve Vai in 88. Oh My Fu@kin' God.

I forgot more, age does this to you.

The Macc Lads 1990.

Cheap Trick 84.

Cerebral Fix and Hellb@stard 1990.

Cinderella on the Long Cold Winter tour. 90 ?

The Meteors 1989.

Y&T 1982 Black Tiger tour.

Doctor and the Medics 1986.

The White Stripes in Canada on the Icky Thump tour.

The Tattooed Beat Messiah himself, Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction 1989.

Faith No More on the Angel Dust tour.

Beck 1997.

......however, my old man has seen the Stones and the Beatles a few times each in their heyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 froinky

I saw Big Country supporting Page and Plant in the Point. It was supposed to be Sheryl Crow, but she pulled out for some reason. On the night, however, Mark UnpronounceablenameofBigCountry (1980s Smash Hits reference, kids) was ill, so - as I recall - they did their slot without a drummer.

I worked at that gig - it was great fun. The drummer got up and ran off stage after 2 songs. Stuart basically asked the crowd to shout up requests as they were busking for the rest of the gig. I went back stage to see what had happened and almost stepped in a huge puddle of vomit which had 2 drumsticks in the middle of it. No drummer in sight.

Advertisement