Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J-Walking

• 24-09-2003 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

This is getting out of hand in Dublin, I have seen on numerous occasions people almost knocked down after they blindly walk out in front of cars and buses. I have to admit that I have done it a few times myself, but in general I will wait for the green light. Once, I was waiting at a bus stop with a counter on it, it had reached about 5 or 4 seconds, and this girl ran across the read, and was nearly knocked down by a car, (car screeched its breaks). When it went green I crossed, only to find the girl standing on the other side sending a text message on her mobile. I have done a bit of traveling and I have to find Dublin is the worst city yet for it.

btw, Mods if this belongs in Person Issues please move cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah its stupid alright what did the man hit the breaks for he should of had put the shoe down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by bloggs
    I have done a bit of traveling and I have to find Dublin is the worst city yet for it.
    Try Naples, mate. Anything goes. You have to step onto the road, keep walking and just hope for the best. There are no traffic lights, any lights are ignored anyway!

Do it from time to time. Those countdown lights are a good idea. 'Cept when cul..., um tourists (:p)think that's the amount of time they have left to cross!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

The amazing thing is that j walking is ment to be illegal in this country, with a fine of a few 100 quid. Yet i never heard of anyone ever getting the fine, bit like the smoking fine on dublin bus really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It is illegal, but that law isn't enforced very strongly here. Although there was a spate of arrests earlier in the year, but I think people got p1ssed off about it.

Some people are ridiculous; I walk fast and I'll rarely wait for lights to change if I have a clear road to cross, but I don't understand these idiots who walk right into traffic (especially at those lights that have the countdown - wtf are these people in such a hurry for that they risk their lives rather than wait 5 fu<king seconds??).

Try that crap in Germany and you'll be hauled down to the cop shop pretty quick.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by Sico

Try that crap in Germany and you'll be hauled down to the cop shop pretty quick.

ditto romania!

man was arrested for jaywaking.... nasty beging ****ed into a jailcell for 6 hours.... thought i would have a midnight express experiance....

spent 6 hours screaming

"i want my ****ING ambasador"

( turns out i had to pay a fine of the contains of my wallet.....

the pricely sum of 6 $'s

total a sting for a bribe

(btw the irish ambasador is a load of ****e. it turns out that can make sure your fed,clothed,cleaned,offer assistance in contacting Ireland for assistance......

but to help you when your looking at what you belive to be a night in a bucherest cop shop...... there in ****ing athens......

thats my €0.02!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 firebird

Sometimes tho, you even see the gardai do it! In fairness, how can they arrest punters for jaywalking if they do it themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I always thought the worst offenders in Dublin were the minority of parents who think that having a child in a buggy exempts them from the need to wait for a green light. :rolleyes:

Does it still take up to ten minutes to cross from one side of College Green to the other?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by happygirl
    Sometimes tho, you even see the gardai do it! In fairness, how can they arrest punters for jaywalking if they do it themselves?

Indeed. I was waiting to cross at Talbot Street and there was a garda beside me. I decided "better not jaywalk" but then they just went ahead and did it. Shrug - if they can then...

Whereas when I was in Germany the road would be empty and yet everyone waited for the green light. I decided I'd better wait as well but I was looking around at the time going, "Eh.... it's empty... you can cross..." which just shows the difference in the way we've been thought compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by sunbeam

Does it still take up to ten minutes to cross from one side of College Green to the other?

yes !

as for j walking, if you didn't it would take forever to cross the city center on foot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sod

Originally posted by happygirl
    Guards are the biggest law breakers, they run red lights, turn left at a no left turn sign and jay walk (not to meniton what the DS get up to with all the confiscated goodies). a fúckin guard who used to drink in my local used to beat his wife for fúck sake, guards are the same as the rest of us (except more cúnt like), they just had the sense to get in a position of power so they wouldnt have to put up with shíte laws

• Advertisement
Advertisement