Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shackleton Park, Lucan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Hi,

How are people finding it here? How is the commute into the city centre from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all,

I've seen one or two posts mention the management rules and a few said there was no clause for no washing line, can anyone tell me if phase 1 of Shackleton has any clauses for no sky dish, no external devices, no washing line out the back etc.

I'd like a sky dish, if they just mean not at the front then grand I understand that. But no CCTV, no doorbell cam? That's a bit crap.

Also no sign of the 25 being brought down to the bus stop space at the entrance to Shackleton, and it's been two years?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There’s plenty of houses with sky dishes and doorbell cameras. Takes all of five minutes to walk around the place to see them.

5uspect wrote: »
    There’s plenty of houses with sky dishes and doorbell cameras. Takes all of five minutes to walk around the place to see them.

Drove down and had a look and you're right, saw a few sky dishes and CCTV. My only concern is being pulled up on it having knowingly signed an agreement.

One thing that was interesting was the agreement says people can come into the property without notice to do emergency work if necessary, probably wouldn't apply to the houses but I don't think anyone would have keys to someone's house?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Drove down and had a look and you're right, saw a few sky dishes and CCTV. My only concern is being pulled up on it having knowingly signed an agreement.

One thing that was interesting was the agreement says people can come into the property without notice to do emergency work if necessary, probably wouldn't apply to the houses but I don't think anyone would have keys to someone's house?

Pulled up on what? It’s your house, the company works for you. Why not just contact the management company and ask them? No one has keys to our house.

It’s a nice quiet housing estate. The management company is grand. Traffic can be ****e in the mornings and 25X can be crowded but since it starts a 5 minute walk away you’re going to get a seat. Check the timetable for times to the city.

I cycle to work so I get to D4 in an hour. It’s faster than the bus or driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I think most people at this stage have CCTV in the estate or a camera bell.

I don't recall reading the walking into the house bit when we signed back in 2018 so I don't think it was part of it but I don't think they keep the keys. Anytime we needed them to come back for something we would agree on a time and if there wasn't anybody home for whatever reason they would ring and come back. It's private property. Even when it was something to do with the garden they would request access and permission beforehand if we weren't going to be home (so we'd leave the side gate unlocked)

It’s important here to distinguish between Cairn Homes aftercare and the management company.

The management company is responsible for upkeep of the green spaces in the finished phases, bin collection, organising residents etc. They put on a good summer party last year and have been very communicative.

Cairn give you 12 months cover on pretty much anything to do with the house (including their landscapers SAP who are a bit ****). Cairn however have been excellent, we had a few minor plumbing issues and they’ve all been fixed the next day. They also ensured SAP came back and did our garden properly. I’ve been very happy with their professionalism TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

5uspect wrote: »
    It’s important here to distinguish between Cairn Homes aftercare and the management company.

The management company is responsible for upkeep of the green spaces in the finished phases, bin collection, organising residents etc. They put on a good summer party last year and have been very communicative.

Cairn give you 12 months cover on pretty much anything to do with the house (including their landscapers SAP who are a bit ****). Cairn however have been excellent, we had a few minor plumbing issues and they’ve all been fixed the next day. They also ensured SAP came back and did our garden properly. I’ve been very happy with their professionalism TBH.

True, I'm mixing them up!

Still for the concerned person, I really don't remember that clause and see how it would hold up anyway in a private property.

Other than that, nothing stopping you on changing locks of it concerns you I guess.

Thanks for the replies folks, just caught me off guard with how specific some of the rules are.

Looking forward to signing the contract. We saw some other 3 bed houses but we fell in love with Shackleton right away. I've lived in various houses around Lucan over the years and there was always something in the room shape/size that were poor. I feel the layout of the rooms, staircase etc is well thought out and the room sizes are good. Hallwell for example, while a lovely house, I felt the kitchen and downstairs toilet were far too big and the smallest bedroom felt smaller. Not sure if Shackleton box bedroom is any bigger but the longer shape suits for an office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 frustrated_

Hi all,

I'd like a sky dish, if they just mean not at the front then grand I understand that. But no CCTV, no doorbell cam? That's a bit crap.

Erecting a satellite dish on the front of a house in Ireland requires planning permission. Not many people know this and it's not widely enforced, but you can be brought to court for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MaverickT

Could someone advise me on the houses in Shackleton manor which are facing Airlie park? I liked the floor plan of F and G type but not sure if buying a house facing Airlie park would be a nice idea. I heard it's public park but main focus on Sports so actually it is not just a park.
    Any idea if there would be fences around the park? What are the cons if we take house facing Airlie park?

Could someone advise me on the houses in Shackleton manor which are facing Airlie park? I liked the floor plan of F and G type but not sure if buying a house facing Airlie park would be a nice idea. I heard it's public park but main focus on Sports so actually it is not just a park.
    Any idea if there would be fences around the park? What are the cons if we take house facing Airlie park?

There are few C1 and C2 type houses are left in front of social houses, is it safe to buy those houses?

CoDMW wrote: »
    Did builders give completion date on houses surrounding the park?

F and G type I am aware and those houses are ready to move in?

What are those houses sorrounding park other than F and G type

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nordyindublin

For the record the management company rules are legally binding and you signed up to them when you bought your house - any rules introduced by Petra on behalf of the management company are binding (provided they were approved by the management company and not just Petra themselves who are the managing agent - not the management company). It is unfortunately not as simple as saying 'it's my house i can do what i like' when you have literally signed a document to the contrary.

We were told about the Sky Dish in the management company rules document - however my opinion on that is that it is superceded by Cairn wiring the houses for sky and advertising the ability to get sky in the sales particulars and when i spoke to Cairn at the time they actually advised us where to put the sky dish so as not to void the warranty on the house and said she didn't know why Petra were advising no sky dishes. (we didn't end up going with sky as they were useless).

With regard to the ring door bell or CCTV none of that was in my contract so i can't comment however we'll soon be installing both so we'll soon find out!

It is highly unlikely that Petra on behalf of the OMC will clamp down on the sky dishes - if you are genuinely concerned raise it in advance of the next AGM and ask for a vote that sky dishes be allowed.

Hope this helps! :)

PS i've been i shackleton crescent for 2 years - it's a class place to live a and quiet street we've had no problems - you will always get a seat on the bus as you're the first stop (that may change with the new bus connects and the proposed route from adamstown station). The traffic is bad but nothing worse than other areas outside of the M50 - if i leave the house at 6.45 i can be in clonnskeagh for 7.30 - i left this morning at 7.10 and was at my desk for 8.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 girodav

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a property in this development (most likely 3 bed end/semi-d). I read most of the posts in this thread and from what I understand, there are some concerns about social housing and traffic, but overall it is a nice place to live.

The brochure we received mentioned some management fees that seems a bit steep

Management Fee: The estimated annual service charges are as follows

The estimated annual service charges are as follows for apartments & duplexes: 2 bed own door
    apartment €810 p.a; 2 bed duplex €1,860 p.a; 3 bed duplex €980 -€1,530 p.a.

As this are separate from upkeep of communal green areas and weekly refuse collection, can anyone tell me what they are for?

girodav wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a property in this development (most likely 3 bed end/semi-d). I read most of the posts in this thread and from what I understand, there are some concerns about social housing and traffic, but overall it is a nice place to live.

The brochure we received mentioned some management fees that seems a bit steep

Management Fee: The estimated annual service charges are as follows

The estimated annual service charges are as follows for apartments & duplexes: 2 bed own door
    apartment €810 p.a; 2 bed duplex €1,860 p.a; 3 bed duplex €980 -€1,530 p.a.

As this are separate from upkeep of communal green areas and weekly refuse collection, can anyone tell me what they are for?

Not sure about duplexes but there's considerable costs for apartments due to building insurance and maintenance. Fire, security and intercom systems etc.

The cost for a 3 bed house is €375. I've been in a Type B house for 2 months now if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

had a look around up there the other day
    the houses all far too on top on one another and too many cars everywhere imo
    itll be chaos there in around 10 -15 years when all the young kids become teens at the same but that is to be said for any big new developments really

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭harvindhillon

itll be chaos there in around 10 -15 years when all the young kids become teens at the same but that is to be said for any big new developments really

I actually put in a deposit for one of the houses but after doing a few rounds in the area felt the same way. The houses are really nice just too many of them in narrow streets lol

I pulled out after 2 weeks, it's a shame cause liked the house but the thought of congestion in the area 5 years down the road scared me

Cars aren't exclusive to Shackleton. My mam's estate on the other side of Lucan is entirely semi detached and not cramped but the place is absolutely jammed with cars. Almost every single house has a car parked on the road, it's an absolute **** show. All too often I would have to stop the car and inch past someone. I don't miss it.

Time will tell how bad congestion gets around Shackleton but I'm not too concerned, with the plans for the area traffic isn't forced to funnel in through one or two entrances to leave the area like a lot of traditional closed off estates.

Traffic is a known issue in Lucan, it's a given for any large town in Dublin. It's hardly a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 z2212

Hi, has anyone done an attic conversion in the 3 bed semi detached? Just wondering the effort involved since the trusses are not conversion ready and needs some strengthening works to be carried out.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

z2212 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone done an attic conversion in the 3 bed semi detached? Just wondering the effort involved since the trusses are not conversion ready and needs some strengthening works to be carried out.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Which type is the house? I believe B1 is the only one in the estate where the attic is conversion ready. There is a Facebook group for residents, I believe some have done some work on the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 z2212

Which type is the house? I believe B1 is the only one in the estate where the attic is conversion ready. There is a Facebook group for residents, I believe some have done some work on the attic.

It is a type B which is attic covertible. I will check the FB group as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DiscoReaper

I'm thinking of buying an own door duplex in Shackleton, normally how many parking spaces are assigned to the three bed-roomed duplex units ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I'm thinking of buying an own door duplex in Shackleton, normally how many parking spaces are assigned to the three bed-roomed duplex units ?

1 space

1 space

That’s a joke, public transport is a farce there, and one car in a three bed duplex
    I’ve had a close look at the area and sorry....there’s too many negatives, that place is going to be a ****show in 5-10years time

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

People keep on saying that but what is the alternative, show me where in Dublin you can but a 3 bed duplex for 340k ? they just do not exist, and there is no where in Dublin where the traffic is good, you want no traffic, move to the country. This is the trade off I am afraid. The houses are lovely, its in a good area, there is transport to town. end of.

That’s a joke, public transport is a farce there, and one car in a three bed duplex
    I’ve had a close look at the area and sorry....there’s too many negatives, that place is going to be a ****show in 5-10years time

You seem to have had your mind made up before even asking about parking...
    doogie! wrote: »
    People keep on saying that but what is the alternative, show me where in Dublin you can but a 3 bed duplex for 340k ? they just do not exist, and there is no where in Dublin where the traffic is good, you want no traffic, move to the country. This is the trade off I am afraid. The houses are lovely, its in a good area, there is transport to town. end of.

It's hardly a secret Dublin has a lot of traffic. Even outside the M50 there's no escaping it. It's a legitimate concern to have but not exclusive to Shackleton or Lucan. It was definitely an issue in Tallaght and Finglas when I worked there 4-5 years ago, likely worse now since everywhere has been getting new developments.

If people want to live outside Dublin that's fine but that has its own tradeoff. Double commuting distance and the houses aren't even cheaper. My house type was more expensive in Naas. I work 12 hour shifts, I don't want to double my commute time at 1am and the girlfriend doesn't like driving either. I have the option of cycling if the weather is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

You seem to have had your mind made up before even asking about parking...

It's hardly a secret Dublin has a lot of traffic. Even outside the M50 there's no escaping it. It's a legitimate concern to have but not exclusive to Shackleton or Lucan. It was definitely an issue in Tallaght and Finglas when I worked there 4-5 years ago, likely worse now since everywhere has been getting new developments.

If people want to live outside Dublin that's fine but that has its own tradeoff. Double commuting distance and the houses aren't even cheaper. My house type was more expensive in Naas. I work 12 hour shifts, I don't want to double my commute time at 1am and the girlfriend doesn't like driving either. I have the option of cycling if the weather is nice.

Great post ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

My issue with hi density developments like Shackleton and others that seem to be becoming the norm, is that they’re high density with below minimum allowance for parking, an over reliance on a spectacularly poor public transport system, mostly due to government being hell bent on under investment and a drive towards privatisation

This leads to developments like Shackleton being reliant on cars but with no space for them, comparable developments in the past had adequate parking, usually via basement/underground parking allocation, but here it’s been allowed by planners to go ahead with a distinct lack of parking.
    Tyrell’s town is another development very similar and the first that I was aware of, of its kind and today......it’s a zoo!

The reason I asked about the parking allocation is, unless My partner & I are able to have the option of driving to work in a 3 bed duplex .....it’s completely useless to us as a home, and I’ve gotten varying answers from Hooke McDonald on this topic in the past.....although now their mantra is definitely only one space, whereas in the past they were allowing 2 in some cases?

So for me Shackleton is only headed one way, an overcrowded negative equity jungle.
    I’d rather buy in Kilcock/ Enfield , 15-20minutes down the motorway, with comparative public transport, more space, wider streets, green space, and a place to park for adults who need to drive to work
    The social housing apartments in Shackleton are the least of its problems, but I’m glad I checked this thread......I’m definitely passing on this future tennament !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

My issue with hi density developments like Shackleton and others that seem to be becoming the norm, is that they’re high density with below minimum allowance for parking, an over reliance on a spectacularly poor public transport system, mostly due to government being hell bent on under investment and a drive towards privatisation

This leads to developments like Shackleton being reliant on cars but with no space for them, comparable developments in the past had adequate parking, usually via basement/underground parking allocation, but here it’s been allowed by planners to go ahead with a distinct lack of parking.
    Tyrell’s town is another development very similar and the first that I was aware of, of its kind and today......it’s a zoo!

The reason I asked about the parking allocation is, unless My partner & I are able to have the option of driving to work in a 3 bed duplex .....it’s completely useless to us as a home, and I’ve gotten varying answers from Hooke McDonald on this topic in the past.....although now their mantra is definitely only one space, whereas in the past they were allowing 2 in some cases?

So for me Shackleton is only headed one way, an overcrowded negative equity jungle.
    I’d rather buy in Kilcock/ Enfield , 15-20minutes down the motorway, with comparative public transport, more space, wider streets, green space, and a place to park for adults who need to drive to work
    The social housing apartments in Shackleton are the least of its problems, but I’m glad I checked this thread......I’m definitely passing on this future tennament !

Well good to know I spent my hard earned money on a tenement so, thanks for letting us know. If you were to ask most people residing in Shackleton they would tell you it’s a lovely estate. Your comments are way over the top and kind of offensive to those of us who live there (and happy to do so). How you can form such an opinion without having lived in the place is ridiculous.

Advertisement