Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extra ID checks in DUB today?

• 18-10-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Mr Lemon and I arrived back from REU into DUB today. The pilot announced that people should have their ID ready for inspection as immigration were at the door.

As we walked from the apron into the door, immigration were standing there checking ID.

When we arrived at passport control, the GNIB officer asked us where we were coming from.

We were using our passport cards and all the flights arriving in T1 at that time were intra EU flights from what we could see. It's the first time I can remember being asked where we were coming from and Mr. Lemon and I fly several times per year. We even flew in from LCY earlier this year and Mr Lemon flashed his licence as ID and they took for granted that he was in the WX flight and questioned him no further.

Why were immigration at the apron door and why were they asking us where we were coming from today? Looking for someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Same thing happened last week arriving from Belgrade. Announced on the plane and immigration officers waiting as we disembarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Same thing happened last week arriving from Belgrade. Announced on the plane and immigration officers waiting as we disembarked.

There's a flight from Belgrade to DUB?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Had similar on a flight a few months ago, met at the end of the jet way and asked for ID. When walking to customs heard them on the radio following a person in a black jacket and they stopped him when he tried to exit.

They can ask where you came from if they want, especially if you are using a PP card or other ID. Had a flight cancelled last year and was asked when leaving where I'd flown from, they were surprised when I said nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭donegal_man

TK Lemon wrote: »
    There's a flight from Belgrade to DUB?

Okay, allow me to clarify. I was coming from Belgrade and had changed in Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Same on a flight from AMS last Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭jmreire

Okay, allow me to clarify. I was coming from Belgrade and had changed in Frankfurt.

Also flew that route 2 weeks ago... DUBLIN-MUNICH-BELGRADE outward, BELGRADE-FRANKFURTH-DUBLIN homeward, but no special ID checks... they must have been looking for specific people on the flight's mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Del2005 wrote: »
    They can ask where you came from if they want, especially if you are using a PP card or other ID. Had a flight cancelled last year and was asked when leaving where I'd flown from, they were surprised when I said nowhere.

Passport card should be as valid as the passport. Granted, you're unlikely to be let on the plane with it if you're travelling from outside the EU, but that shouldn't stop them from letting you in. I did use it once coming back from a flight from the States as my passport was in my bag and it was easier to take the card out of my wallet. Immigration officer did a bit of a double take as he knew I was coming from a US flight (it was 5am) but said it wasn't a problem.

Driver's license is probably a different story as it doesn't constitute proof of citizenship.

Hardly just part of a bit of training or upskilling for staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Hardly just part of a bit of training or upskilling for staff?

Or performing their actual duty ? Border and immigration control.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Same when arriving from Milan on Thursday midday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Remember the airport employee meeting people off the plane, giving them hi-vis jackets, and re-routing them around SECURITY and immigration and then correlate this with a headline last week that IRELAND has a major INTERNATIONAL TERRORIST (read: ISIS) FINANCE AND SUPPORT PROBLEM.

Hal3000 wrote: »

Yeah but from reading this thread it seems to be a rare thing to see, yet it's happening a fair bit the last couple weeks at random flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

First time I ever experienced it in Dublin. Must have landed into Dublin 200 times in the past 5/6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Also remember that no-deal Brexit will mean major increase in checks, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Yeah but from reading this thread it seems to be a rare thing to see, yet it's happening a fair bit the last couple weeks at random flights.

Who said it was random flights?

Good

• Registered Users Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On people who haven't yet technically entered the country and will still have to pass through passport control?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

The Mrs. arrived in this evening and had the same thing. Passport check on the tarmac and then again at passport control.

What's the reason for it?

plodder wrote: »
    The Mrs. arrived in this evening and had the same thing. Passport check on the tarmac and then again at passport control.

What's the reason for it?

Stopping illegals entering the country ? Human trafficking? Countless reasons and probably good reasons. Why do we have to question it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Stopping illegals entering the country ? Human trafficking? Countless reasons and probably good reasons. Why do we have to question it ?

Probably because you are shown this ring of steel yet you have people seeking asylum where they have passed through 20 odd safe countries getting here and are accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

General immigration/asylum discussion is off-topic for this forum. Only the actual airport controls themselves are Aviation related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

I've seen the odd jetway ID check over here at Oslo Airport. It looks like they do it whenever there's a couple of people on the inbound flight that they want to check before they even get to the border post.

In the rare occasions I've seen it, they check everyone's ID on exit. I which I guess they need to do in order to find the people they're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Because one passport check point if done properly should be enough ?

Why do we have to question it ?
    From the customers view, there are many poorly implemented elements in Dubin airport that give an impression of poor service, so two such checks is on the face of it an unnecessary inconvience. They are certainly not above discussion or question surely ? Many aspects of Dublin airport are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Curiosity? Why do we have to talk about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Also remember that no-deal Brexit will mean major increase in checks, thankfully.

Deal or no deal affects trade, what has the UK leaving the EU got to do with passport checks for people arriving in Dublin? You need to show a passport when arriving from everywhere except the UK, that isn't going to change after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

There’s a load of illegals coming in through Italy and Spain, losing their documents on the way to GNIB and claiming asylum, once they’re at GNIB they have to be processed because they’ve no documents, if they’re stopped just at the inbound doors they can be sent back on the next flight available. There was 20 caught on one flight alone the other day and 4 on another flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

billie1b wrote: »
    There’s a load of illegals coming in through Italy and Spain, losing their documents on the way to GNIB and claiming asylum, once they’re at GNIB they have to be processed because they’ve no documents, if they’re stopped just at the inbound doors they can be sent back on the next flight available. There was 20 caught on one flight alone the other day and 4 on another flight.

Also a lot of “asylum “ seekers coming in here from Albania- likes of the Belgrade flights would surely be prime targets.
    Perhaps immigration checks should be done at every flight door as people disembark to nip this carry on in the bud. Maybe slightly more inconvenient but Ireland needs to take a much harder line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

I think its wonderful that targeted intelligence-driven checks can be shown working well at DUB . Every time we have suggested them on the main passport thread as a replacement for the main channels they are derided.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »
    Also a lot of “asylum “ seekers coming in here from Albania- likes of the Belgrade flights would surely be prime targets.
    Perhaps immigration checks should be done at every flight door as people disembark to nip this carry on in the bud. Maybe slightly more inconvenient but Ireland needs to take a much harder line

Airlines get heavily fined depending on circumstances and usually do whatever required to stop such fines. Its good to see this happening and ideally extra staff should be available for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Same on CDG-DUB recently both at 17:55 and 22:40. Armed Gardai there too.

Advertisement