Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colonoscopy results

Options
  • 18-11-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there my second post I had a colonoscopy done 2 days ago they said that It went well but they found polyps which they removed and they then told me that they took 10 biopsies also I don't know what to think now why would they take 10 biopsies should I be concerned at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The reality: worst it could be is cancer.

On the plus side, they didn't find anything clearly terrible or you'd be starting treatment already.

On the minus, you have a long wait for results.

As for why they did 10 biopsies instead of one. I reckon it's because they found 10 polyps instead of one. They'll test each to rule out cancer. And fingers crossed you'll get a clean bill of health.

In the meantime it's good to have someone to talk to. A gp with a good bedside manner could talk you through your concerns, or can prescribe treatment for anxiety.
    Apart from that a counsellor or a friend.

(Sorry for bumping slightly old thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hello Blossomflower

The best course of action is to discuss your concerns and anxieties, in person, with your GP - they will be able to talk you through the reasons for the multiple biopsies and give you professional advice and reassurance. Ask a friend to go with you if you need some additional support.

Take care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Blossomflower

Thank you for the replies. I got a call from the hospital today from a consultant who told me that there's nothing to worry about but he wants me in the hospital in 3 weeks time to review my symptoms and results why would this be? He also said they wanted to monitor Me closely. And I have to have a colonoscopy every 3-5 years Should I prepare for the worse. I mean they took the polyps away. Please if anyone could advise me on what you think of this. Also I checked the number I was phoned on and it was the oncology department in the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You can discuss it in detail in 3 weeks.
    But you got good news for now so that's the main thing. Stop worrying so much. You got a clean bill of health, you should be celebrating!
    I read in your previous thread you found the procedure uncomfortable. Next time it may not be so thorough. You might ask for a prescription for anti-anxiety medication, or more sedative next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Blossomflower

Thank you I really appreciate the reply. Il try to relax until they do see me hopefully it won't be as bad the next time. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

It's normal practice to take a few biopsies during a colonoscopy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thank you for the replies. I got a call from the hospital today from a consultant who told me that there's nothing to worry about but he wants me in the hospital in 3 weeks time to review my symptoms and results why would this be? He also said they wanted to monitor Me closely. And I have to have a colonoscopy every 3-5 years Should I prepare for the worse. I mean they took the polyps away. Please if anyone could advise me on what you think of this. Also I checked the number I was phoned on and it was the oncology department in the hospital.

Hi Blossomflower,
    Boards.ie has a strict policy on not providing medical advice - for very good reason.
    I know that given your family history it’s hard but try not to be so anxious. Your consultant has told you that there is nothing to worry about but if you need further reassurance or clarification before your next hospital appointment then see your GP - they are best placed to give you professional and expert medical advice.

I’m closing this thread now. Best of luck and take care of yourself :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement