Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding Wardrobes- Retail or Custom made

• 22-11-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Anyone got recommendations for sliding wardrobes.

Only experience I have had was Sliderobes and found them expensive.

Would like a fairly standard fitted wardrobe, with sliding wooden doors.
    Looking for a fairly specific colour of wood to match wooden lockers and drawers I got from Jim Langans.

Would love to get something in before christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

redman wrote:
    I'm putting in my second set that I got from Homebase, Limerick. They do a range of "Stanley" sliding doors suitable for sliding wardrobes. Most of the stuff is wood effect stuff in various timber styles but they also do quite a range of mirrored doors, and contemporary frosted glass doors, etc. While they're not going to be a family heirloom they're pretty easy on the eye and the price is fairly ok. in the region of 150 - 300 per door depending on size & style.

One thing I learned from my first installation is to leave a decent clearance between the shelving and any clothes on hangers etc. I.e., if you're installing into a 24" alcove then 18" or even 16" deep shelving is plenty as if you shelve right out to the doors you inevatibly end up with clothes poking out and hindering the passage of the doors as they slide over and back

Last time I got these there was a lead in time of about 6 weeks between ordering and getting the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks qazxsw

What about the shelving bit inside?
    Was there a standard "pack" for shelves and hanging area?

I need to fill a width of 7'6" and the total depth would be 26"

redman wrote:
    Thanks qazxsw

What about the shelving bit inside?
    Was there a standard "pack" for shelves and hanging area?

I need to fill a width of 7'6" and the total depth would be 26"
    As far as I remember there was a pack available but it was fairly crappy. You'd be better off getting your own melamine covered shelving and cutting it to size with a circular saw -- don't attempt it with a hand saw it'll look botched no matter how careful you are.

The shelving comes in 8' and 6' lengths and various depths.

You'll get rail & shelving at homebase too if you want to get it all under one roof.

qazxsw

What about the height, did you have any gap at the top above the sliding doors ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Is there any where you can get the runners for the sliding doors (after pencilling them in for the three bedrooms of the house and then seeing the price of the cheaper ones :eek: )

check out

http://www.pchenderson.com/pages/overview_bl.php?menu_id=4.2.0

I didn't go for any of this gear but it looks O.K. and hendersons are aound a long time -- I know Chadwicks stock some of hendersons range, not quiet sure if they stock the domestic range - you might let me know for future ref if you make enquiries.

I'm sure you could make an enquiry re nearest supplier on the hendersons web site if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

qazxsw wrote:
    you might let me know for future ref if you make enquiries.
    I will be having a look, so will let you know. However, priority is building the actual house first (it was just something me and the missus had talked about) :)

redman wrote:
    qazxsw

What about the height, did you have any gap at the top above the sliding doors ?
    Yes depending on the way you choose to finish the installation you may have a gap.

If you go for a "standard" installation you will have a gap of approx 8" above the wardrobe. I know of one guy who was happy enough with this and just used it as an open shelf.

I was erecting the doors across an alcove and did the following
    • fixed two 4" strips to either side of the alcove at the recommended height for the top sliding door runner
    • resting on these I put a 4 x 2 and fixed it in place with some small right angle metal brackets
    • put a strip of 2 x 1 on the ceiling above the 4 x 2 and then covered over the gap with a cut to size melamine piece matching the shelves inside the wardrobe
    • I made the space behind the gap accessible by ensuring the top shelf was 10" below the 4 x 2 when the doors are open
    The space above this top shelf is approx 18" deep and is fine for storing stuff you don't access that often.

Anyone have any experience of In-House (panelling centre) for their Bedroom wardrobes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 denisry

Hi
    I have had Dealing with a Company in meath called Robe Slide , they do sliding wardrobes in , meath , Dublin Cavan, kildare and Louth , i found them nice to deal with and their Sliding wardrobes were a better Sliding wardrobe than any of the companys i have been dealing with. They are based in Trim and are called Robe Slide. i will find a number for you.
    best of Luck
    mic

redman wrote: »
    Anyone got recommendations for sliding wardrobes.

Would like a fairly standard fitted wardrobe, with sliding wooden doors.
    Looking for a fairly specific colour of wood to match wooden lockers and drawers I got from Jim Langans.

Would love to get something in before christmas.

Robe Side are Covering Meath, Louth, cavan , kildare , very Good to Deal with, way cheaper than other Sliding Wardrobe Companies, they are based in Trim, very good Sliding wardrobe System,
    i will get thir web address and phone and post later
    Thanks
    Mic

denisry wrote: »
    Robe Side are Covering Meath, Louth, cavan , kildare , very Good to Deal with, way cheaper than other Sliding Wardrobe Companies, they are based in Trim, very good Sliding wardrobe System,
    i will get thir web address and phone and post later
    Thanks
    Mic

The Number of Sliding Wardrobes company is 046 9436913.
    Phone for a Very Good Price on this Fitted Furniture.

The Phone Number of the Slide Robe company is 046 9436913

Advertisement