Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 English Open, 14th-20th October - Eurosport & Quest

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Didn't see it. Did walker bore him to death? Slowest player I've ever seen. But good luck to him all the same, big big win for him.
    He was actually a bit more fluid today. Was pretty quick whilst in amongst the balls but yeah in general he's not easy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

GeneralC wrote:
    He moved there because of partner waa from Vienna?
    Yes. I don't think he's still with her.
    Didn't see it. Did walker bore him to death? Slowest player I've ever seen. But good luck to him all the same, big big win for him.
    Nope, he actually was much better than usual today, winning the first two frames without Trump potting a ball. Then Trump came back with two centuries to level the match. They say Walker is slower than Rod Lawler, but I find Lawler much worse to watch.

Xintong beat Robertson, 4-0, which was a great result. Robertson, of course, had an excuse blaming it on being on an outside table and not a TV table, because he's not Ronnie or the current World Champion. He always has an excuse.

This evening's TV matches:

7pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mei Xiwen
    Mark Selby v Xiao Guodong

8:30pm (approx.)
    Mark Allen v Barry Hawkins
    David Gilbert v Zhao Xintong

I'm also very interested in the result of the non-TV match, Si Jiahui/Tian Pengfei. Jiahui is only 17, just got on the tour this Summer, through the Q School Order of Merit, he didn't win any Q School event, and was relatively unknown before this week. I hope he continues to go forward, but he could have Murphy in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ronnie gone. Finally out of his misery. Lee Walker 2 hours in and still on frame 2 with Wilson. That's the Lee we know and love!!

Ronnie gone. Finally out of his misery.
    He'll be sticking around in Crawly and the "horrible" K2 arena to do punditry for Eurosport.

Tom Ford just made the second 147 of the season. He also made the first. 18 more, and he can pick up the £1,000,000 bonus by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Absolutely criminal with our history and tradition of snooker here that we dont have a ranking event. I lived through the glory days of the irish masters at goffs, i recall Steve Davis saying it was his second favourite venue on the circuit, it was a magnificent arena for snooker. We'll never get that back, but would be great so see something at least half as good. But not at citywest, horrible venue for snooker, hated every second of it.

Goffs wasn't ranking though. It's relatively easy to run a great event when you can cherry pick the 16 players in an invitational format. You may not have such great memories of it if it was chockful of Gary Wilson v Lee Walker games.

• Advertisement

Friday's Quarter-Finals (best-of-9s)

Tian Pengfei (#68) v Tom Ford (#25) (7pm)
    David Gilbert (#12) v Ricky Walden (#30) (12pm)
    Mei Xiwen (#70) v Mark Selby (#5) (2pm approx.)
    Mark Allen (#7) v Lee Walker (#80) (7pm)

Weird bunch. Only three Top 16 seeds left. Of the other five, only Ricky Walden has won a ranking event (3 ranking titles) and he hasn't been in a final in over three years.

Tom Ford has been in one ranking final (2016 PHC), which he lost to Mark Selby.

This ties Tian Pengfei's best result, as he makes a ranking event's QFs for the fourth time.

Mei Xiwen has never reached this stage of a tournament.

Lowest ranked of the bunch, Lee Walker made the QFs of the World Championship...in 1997! He didn't do much professionally between then, and making the semi-finals of the 2018 Gibraltar Open, a little over 18 months ago.

Don't know who I want to win really, at this stage I'd usually root for one of the underdogs, if a good few of the top players have gone out. But...I'm not a huge fan of any of them, so I guess I hope David Gilbert picks up the win and his first ranking title.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Goffs wasn't ranking though. It's relatively easy to run a great event when you can cherry pick the 16 players in an invitational format. You may not have such great memories of it if it was chockful of Gary Wilson v Lee Walker games.

Of course, that's why I said we'll never get a goffs again because it couldn't cater for a ranking event. You could if it was maybe a tour championship finals or something but that would need money and clout which we don't have unfortunately. I don't think any venue should be catering for 128 players though, just far too unwieldy and leads to potential problems. Still haven't forgotten "the toilet" from the UK champs a few years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

B&H Irish masters used to only invite 12 so even more exclusive than the top 16 at the Wembley event. It had an important slot in the calendar too being a couple of weeks before Sheffield where the likes of Davis would be sharpening up before the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Enjoying this Xiwen v Selby match. Xiwen went 3-0 infront, played well. Back to 3-2 now. Selby couldn't pot a ball for 3 frames, now Xiwen is struggling.

Selby v Allen. Head to head is 4-5 and 7 of their 9 contests have gone to the final frame. Should be a good match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Selby v Allen. Head to head is 4-5 and 7 of their 9 contests have gone to the final frame. Should be a good match.

Good call. Selby won in the deciding frame.

Good call. Selby won in the deciding frame.

Yeah could have gone either way. Can’t believe Allen refused the pink to win the match at 5-3.

Some long frames in that Selby/Allen match, one being around 67 minutes. Selby gets into his first final in over a year. I hope David Gilbert can finally win a ranking title tomorrow. He'll also overtake Selby on the 1 year ranking list, if he does.

The winner of Selby/Gilbert will also get into the Champion of Champions next month, as neither had yet qualified. Jimmy White has one more event (World Open) to hope for a repeat winner, so he gets a place in the Champion of Champions.

7-1 to Mark Selby after the first session...might be an early night.

Been kept off quest until this evening. Usually quest showed the semis and finals in full.

Been kept off quest until this evening. Usually quest showed the semis and finals in full.
    Yeah, they usually do. That was quite frustrating as I went to watch the Quest recording around 1:30pm, but had to use the Eurosport app instead.

With the scoreline, Quest might only get to show 2 frames of the finale live.

Selby flukes a snooker for 8-1.

It was rough for Gilbert. Wanted to see him make a match of it. As hardly got to catch the snooker this week.

Advertisement