Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Marco Fu beaten by Luo Honghao, first big name out really, though not so much of a shock given Marco's eye troubles of late. Also see Angles McManus in a bit of a dogfight with No.1 ranked female Ng On Yee, 7-6 ahead. Reminders of Ken struggling to beat Reanne Evans a few years back.

What's the story with Marco's eye? I've never found him a great player to watch. I like him though.

Would support him in general but Luo is great to watch. So agressive and attacking is support him getting through now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

What's the story with Marco's eye? I've never found him a great player to watch. I like him though.

Would support him in general but Luo is great to watch. So agressive and attacking is support him getting through now.

I think the gravitational field from his watch caused one of his eyeballs to tilt off axis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

What's the story with Marco's eye?

He has retinal degeneration in his left eye.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have my fingers crossed that someone younger wins the Worlds this year. It’d would be great to see a new name win. I think Trump is the only possibility of that though. He hasn’t the nerve for it though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah Luo is definitely good to watch, possibly a bit reckless at times but that just adds to the attraction. Should have beaten Ronnie earlier this season so definitely has the game if he can put it together.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I have my fingers crossed that someone younger wins the Worlds this year. It’d would be great to see a new name win. I think Trump is the only possibility of that though. He hasn’t the nerve for it though.

Think you could be right on that. My own unsubstantiated theory is that younger players nowadays are geared up to play shorter matches and dont have the mentality for longer battles that players of previous generations had. Not sure, but thats how it seems to me anyway. I personally dont believe trump lacks bottle and he has the best record of any player against ronnie so wont fear meeting him in qf. My fear for him would be that match would be so hyped and potentially draining that it would leave him vulnerable for sf after. That half of draw is very intriguing it has to be said.

Think you could be right on that. My own unsubstantiated theory is that younger players nowadays are geared up to play shorter matches and dont have the mentality for longer battles that players of previous generations had. Not sure, but thats how it seems to me anyway. I personally dont believe trump lacks bottle and he has the best record of any player against ronnie so wont fear meeting him in qf. My fear for him would be that match would be so hyped and potentially draining that it would leave him vulnerable for sf after. That half of draw is very intriguing it has to be said.

I don’t think Trump lacks bottle, as in courage. I just think his concentration slips too often. The longer a match goes on the more those little slips begin to matter.

Ronnie and Robertson are on a different planet to everyone over the last few months, I can see Trump cracking against either.

they/them/theirs

I dont think Trumps worlds record is too bad. He's let a couple of leads slip in last sessions, including once to Robbo a few years back, which is slightly worrying, but the defeat to McLeod is the really only bad stain on his crucible record. He's lost matches to Higgins, Carter, an inspired Bingham, Ronnie, Ding - no list of shame by any standards. Plus, he's got a 12-13 head to head against Ronnie which is the best around and he's beaten Robbo in most of the important matches they've played. Doesn't mean he'll beat them if they meet over next couple of weeks, but dont think it means he'll be "cracking" against them. There's lots of pressure on him to be fair, but he definitely looks a bit more capable of coping with it this time than in previous years.

Said before, i'm not convinced by robbo as well as he's been playing. I dont think he beat anybody he shouldn't have in winning the Indian and China Opens and he didn't win either final he played against Ronnie. That's good form but it's not "different planet" form imo. I'd still say Trump has had a better season overall than Robbo, whatever the rankings say, might not be a lot between them but I'd slightly favour Trump myself if they met, which would have to be the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Am very excited about the tournament this year.

Have had tickets over the last few years but have had to cancel due to stupid cancer but am finally making it over this year (and in good health!) to three sessions of the final.

On a side note, does anyone know any good spots to put tickets up for sale? Have two single tickets (as my plus one can't go) but given that its a niche enough sport, they're not the easiest to sell and im not looking to tout them.

Roll on April 20.

You could sell them on viagogo or else the Crucible box office will try and resell them for you over there, for a fee of course.

I dont think Trumps worlds record is too bad. He's let a couple of leads slip in last sessions, including once to Robbo a few years back, which is slightly worrying, but the defeat to McLeod is the really only bad stain on his crucible record. He's lost matches to Higgins, Carter, an inspired Bingham, Ronnie, Ding - no list of shame by any standards. Plus, he's got a 12-13 head to head against Ronnie which is the best around and he's beaten Robbo in most of the important matches they've played. Doesn't mean he'll beat them if they meet over next couple of weeks, but dont think it means he'll be "cracking" against them. There's lots of pressure on him to be fair, but he definitely looks a bit more capable of coping with it this time than in previous years.

Said before, i'm not convinced by robbo as well as he's been playing. I dont think he beat anybody he shouldn't have in winning the Indian and China Opens and he didn't win either final he played against Ronnie. That's good form but it's not "different planet" form imo. I'd still say Trump has had a better season overall than Robbo, whatever the rankings say, might not be a lot between them but I'd slightly favour Trump myself if they met, which would have to be the final.

I’m talking only about recent form, last few tournaments. Serious form, who knows if it’ll carry through.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I think one thing can be said for certain is Neil Robertson will likely never get a better draw if he's to add his name to the illustrious list of two time winners. Winning the china open effectively switched him from where Trump is now, probably having to beat Ding and Ronnie and that's just to get to s/f. I'll be taking Higgins myself to come out of top half, but that's going against current form as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

https://twitter.com/WorldSnooker/status/1117191508711571456?s=19

Tricky journey and he might not make it but would be fantastic to see!

Shankill's Mick Judge currently 4-0 against Xiao Guodong, one of the more experienced chinese players on tour. Was there the year Ken beat him at the crucible, the last time i'd say we witnessed three Irish (as in republic) players making the finals. Not greedy so would settle on two making it this time!

Shankill's Mick Judge currently 4-0 against Xiao Guodong, one of the more experienced chinese players on tour. Was there the year Ken beat him at the crucible, the last time i'd say we witnessed three Irish (as in republic) players making the finals. Not greedy so would settle on two making it this time!

It's 4-4 now.

And fergal o brien is 3-1 down. Hope they can rally. Would be great to see them in the finals.

I hadn't noticed that all the first round games are finished. Second round under way but no results in yet.

It's 4-4 now.

And fergal o brien is 3-1 down. Hope they can rally. Would be great to see them in the finals.

Fergal 1-5 down, not looking likely, Davis was a tough draw. Mick still in it, high break so far including first round remains 53! Gonna try and grind his way to next round looks like.

Mick Judge is really grinding the feck outta Guodong, 7-4 ahead now and inching his way to the finish line. Went a bit mad with a 51 break a few frames back, but its more the snooker version of death by a thousand cuts. Or three or four per frame anyway! Fergal did well to pull it back to 3-6 in his match to be resumed tomorrow. Still some hope there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Michael Judge is through to judgement day after winning 10-9. He will play James Cahill and the winner will be the first ever amateur to play in the World Championship in the crucible.

Ken is 3-1 down against Scott Donaldson.
    Jimmy white is 3-1 up against Ali Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Unfortunately due to exams I can't make my planned visit to the Crucible this year so in case anyone is interested, I have some single tickets to offload for the price I paid for them.

This is what I have right now (all for the second week):

Tuesday Quarters Table 1 10am
    Tuesday Quarters Table 1 7pm
    Wednesday Quarters Table 1 all 3 sessions
    Thursday Semis 7pm
    Friday Semis 2:30 & 7pm
    Saturday Semis 10am & 2:30pm
    Sunday final both sessions
    Monday final afternoon session

I've offered them to some friends too so they might not last long. If anyone is interested in one or more sessions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll let you know what I have left. Can meet in Dublin City Centre for handover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Dante7 wrote: »
    Michael Judge is through to judgement day after winning 10-9. He will play James Cahill and the winner will be the first ever amateur to play in the World Championship in the crucible.
    Both former pros, though, and Cahill will be back on the tour next season as a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Fergal O'Brien out earlier today and Ken has just lost 5 frames in row, beaten 10-4. Bad day for the Irish.

Few high profile casualties today. Ken, Angles, Ryan Day shocker, Ebdon, Ricky Walden. And the long storied pro career of Jimmy White finally at an end with 4-10 loss to Ali Carter. Doubt it'll be the last we'll see of Jimmy though, probably head to q school now and can see the odd invite next season.

Going to be an anxious wait for Fergal as regards his tour place. He's 63rd on the provisional list and looks to be in an ok spot, but there are still a couple who could pass him so it's just a case of wait and see how it pans out.

Final round of qualifying, winners go to the Crucible:

Tian Pengfei v Matthew Stevens
    Gary Wilson v Liang Wenbo
    Luo Honghao v Tom Ford
    Robert Milkins v Anthony McGill
    Graeme Dott v Kurt Maflin
    Li Hang v Ben Woollaston
    Daniel Wells v Martin Gould
    Michael Georgiou v Yan Bingtao
    Ali Carter v John Astley
    Eden Sharav v Zhou Yuelong
    Mark Davis v Lyu Haotian
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Joe O'Connor
    Michael Judge v James Cahill
    Lu Ning v Scott Donaldson
    Matthew Selt v Zhao Xintong
    Martin O'Donnell v Joe Perry

My accumulator, wonder what odds PP will give me?

Tian Pengfei v Matthew Stevens
    Gary Wilson v Liang Wenbo
    Luo Honghao v Tom Ford
    Robert Milkins v Anthony McGill
    Graeme Dott v Kurt Maflin
    Li Hang v Ben Woollaston
    Daniel Wells v Martin Gould
    Michael Georgiou v Yan Bingtao
    Ali Carter v John Astley
    Eden Sharav v Zhou Yuelong
    Mark Davis v Lyu Haotian
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Joe O'Connor
    Michael Judge v James Cahill
    Lu Ning v Scott Donaldson
    Matthew Selt v Zhao Xintong
    Martin O'Donnell v Joe Perry

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Is Ken safe for next year's tour? He should probably retire at this stage anyway. He is not going to do any better than he did this season. It all depends if he still wants to do it. For someone in his situation he seems to do all the travelling and enters every event he can.

Brian? wrote: »
    My accumulator, wonder what odds PP will give me?
    €1 on that wins €26,793.55...
    Glenman wrote: »
    Is Ken safe for next year's tour?
    Yes, he's in the top 64, if he wants to continue.

Of those 32 players left in qualifying, 13 have never made it to the Crucible before. So still possible for a lot of debutants this year. Definitely one at least, the winner of Lu Ning/Scott Donaldson, both aged 25.

Judgement Day LIVE on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrOTjyhHqnU

• Advertisement

Gary Wilson, Anthony McGill, Martin Gould, Michael Georgiou, Zhou Yuelong, Mark Davis, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, and James Cahill have all qualified from the first half of the last day of qualifying to reach the Crucible. Final 8 qualifiers will be decided from 5pm today.

Michael Georgiou and James Cahill are "double firsts" at the Crucible. They'll both be debutants, plus Georgiou will be the first ever Cypriot to play at the World Championship, and Cahill the first ever amateur.

Status in other qualifying matches:

Tian Pengfei 7 v Matthew Stevens 2
    Luo Honghao 5 v Tom Ford 4
    Graeme Dott 7 v Kurt Maflin 2
    Li Hang 5 v Ben Woollaston 4
    Ali Carter 6 v John Astley 3
    Scott Donaldson 7 v Lu Ning 2
    Zhao Xintong 7 v Matthew Selt 2
    Joe Perry 6 v Martin O'Donnell 3

Advertisement