Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small jfc drinkers leaking

• 28-11-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I gave a small standard jfc drinker and its constantly over flowing. Iv opened it more times than I care to remember. Iv cleaned it out taken it apart to no avail . I even cut a circular piece of 1cm rubber as I thought the old rubber wasn't able to stop the water. And I covered the moving parts with vaseline Still no good
    And it not the first jfc drinker iv had problems with
    Maybe its just me but I want to sort it for my sanity!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I gave a small standard jfc drinker and its constantly over flowing. Iv opened it more times than I care to remember. Iv cleaned it out taken it apart to no avail . I even cut a circular piece of 1cm rubber as I thought the old rubber wasn't able to stop the water. And I covered the moving parts with vaseline Still no good
    And it not the first jfc drinker iv had problems with
    Maybe its just me but I want to sort it for my sanity!

Is that the green one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I used have them small hereford galvanised bowls and the same story ,the outlet that closes against the rubber stoper used eat away .maybe yours might be same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

It's the rubber that's broke my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I've found JFC come up with some realty great ideas and designs until I have to presume the money people are consulted and the end product while looks great will no doubt have a weak point, in the case of drinkers really cheap shoddy ballcock system.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭jd06

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Is that the green one

Mine is blue

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    I used have them small hereford galvanised bowls and the same story ,the outlet that closes against the rubber stoper used eat away .maybe yours might be same

Yes it could be the nozzle and wore away . Hard to see it being anything else

jd06 wrote: »
    Mine is blue

This is my one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

The problem is the pressure of your water coming in is too much and with the small ballcock it wont shut off. One solution is to use a 5 gallon drum as a header tank overhead. Put the mains water into that with a proper long arm ballcock and leave the water flow by gravity from bottom of drum into the jfc trough underneath.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    The problem is the pressure of your water coming in is too much and with the small ballcock it wont shut off. One solution is to use a 5 gallon drum as a header tank overhead. Put the mains water into that with a proper long arm ballcock and leave the water flow by gravity from bottom of drum into the jfc trough underneath.

Thankyou that makes sense that could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Wildsurfer wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭50HX

There are 2 types of ballcocks for this trough, think the green float is for high pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

50HX wrote: »
    There are 2 types of ballcocks for this trough, think the green float is for high pressure

If you buy the hereford or JFC drinker in glanbia they don't bother to tell you about the high pressure ballcocks until you come back complaining.
    There hereford ones are a joke altogether there's a very fine line (if there is a line) between off and overflowing..... impossible to set

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Omallep2

wrangler wrote: »
    If you buy the hereford or JFC drinker in glanbia they don't bother to tell you about the high pressure ballcocks until you come back complaining.
    There hereford ones are a joke altogether there's a very fine line (if there is a line) between off and overflowing..... impossible to set

Is this the hereford one you refer to 0Screenshot_20201129-184127_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Is this the hereford one you refer to 0Screenshot_20201129-184127_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes that's it, I've bet them off the wall with a sledge in frustration.
    If they told me that they don't tolerate high pressure I wouldn't have bought them. We're on mains water here so high pressure
    If they leak for 24hrs the little black rubber bung is wrecked by the jet of water coming from the littlle nozzle in the ballcock

Advertisement