Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the current DF transport fleet fit for purpose?

• 02-09-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Whats people's opinion on the current transport fleet?
    Particulary the pajero, i40, transit and iveco?
    Are they upto spec for the DF and there role?
    What are they mainly used for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Those you mention are only the light/utility fleet. The replacement of the Pajeros by shiny new Toyota Land Cruisers has already begun and 300 or so have begun arriving.

In terms of heavy vehicles, troop transports and logistics, there are a variety of 4x4, 6x6, 8x4 and 8x8 trucks and modular platforms totalling about 200 to 250 in number and offering soft, hard and armoured skins for a huge variety of tasks.

Beyond that, you are into the Mowags and Eagle LTAV and the ARW special recon vehicles all of which see overseas service with our UN missions.

So to answer your question, are the domestic fleet suitable for the jobs required of them? Probably yes. Could they do with faster modernisation and replacement and increased numbers? More than likely, but only someone very familiar with DF demands against White Paper and service plan commitments would be able to delve into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: Soldiers regularly complain about the Ford Rangers and the LTAV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭sparky42

Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: Soldiers regularly complain about the Ford Rangers and the LTAV's.

Surely the Ford Rangers must be getting to the point of replacement, wouldn't want to hit an IED with one of them. The Rangers aren't even using them in Mali. As to the LTAV's isn't it their reliability that's the major issue?

sparky42 wrote: »
    Surely the Ford Rangers must be getting to the point of replacement, wouldn't want to hit an IED with one of them. The Rangers aren't even using them in Mali. As to the LTAV's isn't it their reliability that's the major issue?

Well we only have the Ford Rangers about 5-6 years.

Are you on about the Ford F-350's? Yeah they ARW used in them in Chad though. Also, wouldnt even want to be hit with an IED in a Mowag!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

The troop transports which can only carry circa 10 bods with the roller coaster seats are a bit mad...

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »
    The troop transports which can only carry circa 10 bods with the roller coaster seats are a bit mad...

Health and safety! :).

I will be honest though, they prevented a lot of injuries. Before that we just had 2 benches along the sides of the trucks with a gap in the middle separating the benches.....that gap was lethal.

Also, your kit and other heavy things were just lumped into the middle of the truck, it was a disaster with kit and troops being flung around all the time. Fingers being caught in the slats of the benches and broken etc etc.

Then a big crash happenned on the M50 when an idiot driver in a civilian car crossed 3 lanes while about to miss a turn, cut right in front of a truck with about 20 lads unsecured in the back of it. I think 3 trucks ended up in a heap...kit everywhere....loads of lads ****ed and some are still suffering.

The ROPS are a much needed bit of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm aware of the story alright, I hope that the old benches are stored somewhere in case a serious troop movement is ever actually needed! We just use a minibus now when going to the range!

Alkers wrote: »
    I'm aware of the story alright, I hope that the old benches are stored somewhere in case a serious troop movement is ever actually needed! We just use a minibus now when going to the range!

**** that.

Id rather the minibus :). I saw a guy fall out over the tailgate of an old truck onto the main road in Tallaght on the way to Kilbride. Truck was stopped at the lights, was pissing rain and yer man was tying up the tarp. Truck moved off and yer man fell out. Was grand like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

The good old days of "shove up there lads there's room for two more" regardless of how many were already in the back with bergens and rifles hopping all over the place.

The benches were the same height as the tailgates, I'm surprised you didn't hear stories or reports of people going over them. I remember if you got the end seat on the bench throwing the feet up on the tailgate thinking you were Joe Cool, Joe fcuking Gob****e more like looking back at it.

Advertisement