Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting 4G mobile broadband - clueless!

• 27-08-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I'll soon be moving to a new house in a pretty rural area and with that comes the issue of getting internet sorted.

I have a GoMo and Tesco mobile SIM cards and both get pretty much no data reception or signal at the house, indoors or even outdoors.

Speedtests normally get something like 0.01, can't even load a webpage etc...

Looking at the Comreg site viewer, the nearest mast appears to be Vodafone and is about 0.8 miles away, line of sight from the house.

I was looking at the Vodafone X PAYG plan. It states unlimited 4G data with no caps, only cap being on the speed of up to 10mb, which would be fine by me!

I have an unlocked 4G Huawei router I'm planning on using, but I'm guessing I'll also need some sort of external antenna pointed in the direction of the Vodafone mast to help boost the signal?

I have a clue what I need or what equipment or even how to align it? Is it just all trial and error or are there meters I can get to know where to put it to get the best signal?

Could anyone please recommend any antennas or boosters as I haven't a clue what I'm looking for or where to even begin with.

Also thinking of getting something like a Google Nest mesh set up in the house, that hopefully once I have a decent signal coming to the house that I can boost it around the house and all rooms also.

Would it be worth laying CAT 6 cables around skirting around the house for this?

Would really appreciate any suggestions or advise as to be honest I don't really have a clue what I'm doing, so any pointers would be great

Thank you.

Comments

Advertisement