Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

jay93 wrote: »
    871240938.png

:eek:

Used to get 4-5 in my first two weeks of service - awesome while you have it tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

871317775.png
    Didn't expect to see this, sort of funny really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Used to get 4-5 in my first two weeks of service - awesome while you have it tho :D

its great that its that fast :D
    just found out tonight that all vodafone modems are unlocked so i put my 3 sim into it the k3765 modem and i got them speeds with my E160G modem max speed is 3mb and upload max is 0.35mb but this vf modem is alot faster also pings have gone way down very good modem i must say will post more tests tomorrow to see how its runs in the evening!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

871514332.png
    871514750.png

872192458.png

o2's service is in the pits today not good at all :(

3 test just taken not as bad as o2 not great either pings are really really good tough feel like im on a fixed line lol

872230191.png

• Advertisement

awesome ping - getting similar myself - hope it remains stable tho :D

872233910.png

20019831.png

awesome ping - getting similar myself - hope it remains stable tho :D

872233910.png

20019831.png

the pings are awesome on this new modem alright im very happy with it way better than my old modem so it is!:D:D pings are something like yours do you use the modem directly in your computer or do you have a signal repeater ?:)
    873255163.png

the pings are awesome on this new modem alright im very happy with it way better than my old modem so it is!:D:D pings are something like yours do you use the modem directly in your computer or do you have a signal repeater ?:)
    873255163.png

Just the modem - i have a repeater but it doesnt work properly so i gave up using it.....

so its just the e5830 plugged into the pc - similar results on my mac via wifi as well :D

873265247.png

20068428.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

my speeds this evening

873261356.png

sligo server
    873263179.png

dublin server
    873264612.png

galway server
    873266077.png

873292636.png
    Back to the regular upload, download not bad but ping is high again.

• Advertisement

Just the modem - i have a repeater but it doesnt work properly so i gave up using it.....

so its just the e5830 plugged into the pc - similar results on my mac via wifi as well :D

873265247.png

20068428.png

same here just have the modem plugged into the laptop:)
    sadly for me the fast vodafone modem died on me computer will not pick up on it anymore so im back using the E160G which is grand for now i suppose..i will have to get a new modem soon maybe even the e5830..whats the wireless range like on your mifi modem?

not to bad this evening not to great either ::
    874386773.png

same here just have the modem plugged into the laptop:)
    sadly for me the fast vodafone modem died on me computer will not pick up on it anymore so im back using the E160G which is grand for now i suppose..i will have to get a new modem soon maybe even the e5830..whats the wireless range like on your mifi modem?

not to bad this evening not to great either ::
    874386773.png

wireless range is poor - it struggles to cover 2 -3 rooms upstairs in my house at best and thats it - a regular modem with a 3g router would be a better way to go i think

873292636.png
    Back to the regular upload, download not bad but ping is high again.

download seems good enough :o
    ping does seem a bit high alright
    i only get good pings when im using a modem thats HSPA enabled
    current modem shows its getting a HSDPA signal which seems to give me higher pings and lower max speeds..

current modem shows its getting a HSDPA signal which seems to give me higher pings and lower max speeds..

yep - HSPA is 7.2mb speed enabled while HSDPA is 3.6mb max - still since we rarely hit those peaks speeds between both protocols and due to the numbers of users on any given mast - the speeds will be similar but the main difference is indeed in the ping

874395276.png

HSPA will replace HSDPA fully in time - sooner HSDPA is gone the better so we all have at worst HSPA connections :D and once capicity and the next 3g evolution from HSPA to HSPA+ and then to LTE comes then we shopuld really notice a difference in speed (still not anywhere near the theoretical peak speed but better none the less)

20122666.png

:D

yep - HSPA is 7.2mb speed enabled while HSDPA is 3.6mb max - still since we rarely hit those peaks speeds between both protocols and due to the numbers of users on any given mast - the speeds will be similar but the main difference is indeed in the ping

874395276.png

HSPA will replace HSDPA fully in time - sooner HSDPA is gone the better so we all have at worst HSPA connections :D and once capicity and the next 3g evolution from HSPA to HSPA+ and then to LTE comes then we shopuld really notice a difference in speed (still not anywhere near the theoretical peak speed but better none the less)

20122666.png

:D

i taught my area was just HSDPA enabled untill i tested it on a HSPA modem so now i know for definate if i get a modem from 3 like the e122 on their website for 39 euro i can get speeds of about 5.5-6.0mb/s after 12am i do be mostly up till about 2am or later some nights so notice the higher speeds since everyone else is in bed lol.. 3's hspa pings got as low as 64ms -90ms and no higher so as you said the better hsdpa is done away with alltogether the better even tough i never expect to get higher speeds on HSPA the ping differance is huge and is more reliable..
    have to agree also that more capacity is needed for the 3G system ..is there any sign of LTE being introduced into ireland yet :D:D

874423691.png

just done that test there very odd my pings have shot way down and im still using my old modem never been that low before :confused:
    maybe speedtest has gone bonkers again :rolleyes:
    ill try test again in a few minutes and see how it goes then :D

i taught my area was just HSDPA enabled untill i tested it on a HSPA modem so now i know for definate if i get a modem from 3 like the e122 on their website for 39 euro i can get speeds of about 5.5-6.0mb/s after 12am i do be mostly up till about 2am or later some nights so notice the higher speeds since everyone else is in bed lol.. 3's hspa pings got as low as 64ms -90ms and no higher so as you said the better hsdpa is done away with alltogether the better even tough i never expect to get higher speeds on HSPA the ping differance is huge and is more reliable..
    have to agree also that more capacity is needed for the 3G system ..is there any sign of LTE being introduced into ireland yet :D:D

874423691.png

just done that test there very odd my pings have shot way down and im still using my old modem never been that low before :confused:
    maybe speedtest has gone bonkers again :rolleyes:
    ill try test again in a few minutes and see how it goes then :D

Three are bringing it in in 2011-2012 - HSPA is being rolled out and HSPA+ will be rolled out afterwards as a update to the system...meteors nokia erricison system is awaiting a software update for the first gen of LTE but it has to be trailled yet....however both networks will be upgraded to HSPA+ in a year with LTE to follow a year after....It will require new modems for all I think as well since some of the systems use dual antennas to double conncetivity speeds - googel fro more info :D

Still - they take thier time with things liket his so dont hold your breath

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

LTE is a COMPLETELY incompatible different system. No-one in Ireland even has a licence for it.

It can't be deployed on 3G frequencies without turning 3G off, i.e. killing every existing phone & modem.

in a 3G channel it's no faster in a quiet cell. It's only when there are 10 to 20 users reducing speed to 0.12Mbps that LTE would give 0.24Mbps

LTE spectrum may not be available for years yet and existing 3G can't be replaced by LTE until LTE has been running on other frequencies (not yet available) for 4 to 6 years.

3G uses a 5MHz channel. The hyped LTE speeds only apply for ONE user only connected, close to mast and on a 20MHz channel (4x a 3G channel).

So only if Comreg allocate a single physical operator with MVNOs or the operator share the physical network can you get the x4 speed increase. The Ping will be better, but still not as good as ADSL2+, Cable, Fibre or Metro. It will still be a fast dialup and not be "always on" like real Broadband. It will give entry level DSL performance for over 1/2 the users if not oversubscribed.

Meanwhile "real broadband" is jumping from 1 to 3Mbps to 20Mbps+ as the world changes to HFC (UPC), Fibre systems such as FTTC and FTTH.

LTE is just a better Mobile Internet. And only much better if the network is 6 x 20MHz channels instead of the 3 x 5MHz each of the 3G operators has today.

HSPA / iHSPA and HSPA+ etc only make a speed difference to less than 3% of users. You need a better signal and only 1 or 2 users connected on Sector to see the higher speed. You can't break the laws of physics. iHSPA / HSPA+ with a single connection at cell edge gives only 0.12Mbps. LTE will give the same, unless you have 20MHz channel when it will give 0.48Mbps at cell edge.

874499539.png
    Wet, Windy and foggy at the moment.

I'm using the E5830 and when it says HSPA i still get random pings, with my old ZTE622 i use to be able to get 3Mb/s+ in the AM so when i was upgrading the modem to the E5830 i was told i should be able to get the max network speed around the same times but fastest i have seen it was just above 4Mb/s. Worth putting yours by the window, every little helps ;)

watty wrote: »
    LTE is a COMPLETELY incompatible different system. No-one in Ireland even has a licence for it.

It can't be deployed on 3G frequencies without turning 3G off, i.e. killing every existing phone & modem.

in a 3G channel it's no faster in a quiet cell. It's only when there are 10 to 20 users reducing speed to 0.12Mbps that LTE would give 0.24Mbps

LTE spectrum may not be available for years yet and existing 3G can't be replaced by LTE until LTE has been running on other frequencies (not yet available) for 4 to 6 years.

3G uses a 5MHz channel. The hyped LTE speeds only apply for ONE user only connected, close to mast and on a 20MHz channel (4x a 3G channel).

So only if Comreg allocate a single physical operator with MVNOs or the operator share the physical network can you get the x4 speed increase. The Ping will be better, but still not as good as ADSL2+, Cable, Fibre or Metro. It will still be a fast dialup and not be "always on" like real Broadband. It will give entry level DSL performance for over 1/2 the users if not oversubscribed.

Meanwhile "real broadband" is jumping from 1 to 3Mbps to 20Mbps+ as the world changes to HFC (UPC), Fibre systems such as FTTC and FTTH.

LTE is just a better Mobile Internet. And only much better if the network is 6 x 20MHz channels instead of the 3 x 5MHz each of the 3G operators has today.

HSPA / iHSPA and HSPA+ etc only make a speed difference to less than 3% of users. You need a better signal and only 1 or 2 users connected on Sector to see the higher speed. You can't break the laws of physics. iHSPA / HSPA+ with a single connection at cell edge gives only 0.12Mbps. LTE will give the same, unless you have 20MHz channel when it will give 0.48Mbps at cell edge.

Question - when a network claims that it is only a software upgrade away from LTE doesnt that mean that the current system has being upgraded and not fully replaced and with the software upgrade it will replace the older evolution protocols with a new one? :)

So how can it be a completely different system? Or is it only different in regards to the software better utilizing the system already in operation and the frequency it operates on?

Three are bringing it in in 2011-2012 - HSPA is being rolled out and HSPA+ will be rolled out afterwards as a update to the system...meteors nokia erricison system is awaiting a software update for the first gen of LTE but it has to be trailled yet....however both networks will be upgraded to HSPA+ in a year with LTE to follow a year after....It will require new modems for all I think as well since some of the systems use dual antennas to double conncetivity speeds - googel fro more info :D

Still - they take thier time with things liket his so dont hold your breath

i wouldnt count on them to have LTE anytime soon anyways as they are still rolling out HSPA+ but when the bring in LTE does that mean they get rid of the whole 3G system or is it just a software upgrade:confused::confused: if anything meteor will prob be the first to bring out trials of LTE ..so new exuipment and modems etc will have to be brought out to support LTE i suppose they should all just get working on it now tbh and scrap the plans for HSPA+ altough its better they are upgrading to HSPA+ than been stuck on HSDPA the whole time..me needs a new modem i think want to take advantage of the near 6mb speeds after peak times can only get max of 3.2mb/s now at best :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

LTE is a SEPARATE system. Basically the existing Mobile Phone operators may never have LTE.
    (Note they are NOT primarily ISPs or Data operators, but Mobile PHONE networks. The internet data "piggy backs" on the Mobile Phone network, it's essentially faster dialup, but with Digital system rather than hybrid analogue/digital like old 56kbps dialup modems)

It needs new amps & aerials at Basestations because it needs a different band, incompatible with 3G/HSDPA/iHSPA/HSPA+ etc or GSM / EDGE.

It needs new Phones and Modems.

The operators need new bands and Licences.

Yes, the baseband gear at the basestation can run LTE software. But that is absolutely useless as they need to use that gear for 3G/HSDPA/iHSPA/HSPA+ on the 2100MHz for many years after LTE starts on a new band, till most people get LTE and they can switch off 3G/HSDPA/iHSPA/HSPA+ phone/Modem. Even then their existing channels are ONLY licenced for 3G. They would need to bid in an Auction for new licences. The current 3G band can only support one LTE operator so three of the four can't do LTE ever at 2100MHz.

T-Mobile/Orange or someone else could win the 1st LTE licences. Anyone could get the LTE licence for 2100MHz current 3G or 900MHz & 1800MHz GSMs when they expire.

Ignore the hype from 3 and Meteor etc about LTE. The existing 3G Mobile Operators* can't run it on their existing channels or licence and may never ever have LTE.
    The higher speeds of 3G such as 14MBps and 21Mbps are for only ONE person using the sector and very close to mast < 3% of cell area and 42Mbps needs only one user using all of TWO sectors with perfect signal. Marketing Fantasy.

MIMO (Multiple In and Multiple Out, i.e. Multiple aerials) is only good for small city cells and is very much more expensive to install. It really creates multiple virtual sectors and doesn't increase peak speed at all. It increases capacity by allegedly x2 to x4, i.e. 20 users instead of 5 for near decent speeds. In reality most of the time the capacity increase is about 25% to 50%. Since more valuable mast space is needed (which may not exist) and the MIMO gear is expensive and they pay increased mast rent, don't expect very many cells at all to ever have MIMO. More marketing Hype.

(* Meteor, 3, O2 and Vodafone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

875311843.png

my speed today, ( in rural caven ):(

874499539.png
    Wet, Windy and foggy at the moment.

I'm using the E5830 and when it says HSPA i still get random pings, with my old ZTE622 i use to be able to get 3Mb/s+ in the AM so when i was upgrading the modem to the E5830 i was told i should be able to get the max network speed around the same times but fastest i have seen it was just above 4Mb/s. Worth putting yours by the window, every little helps ;)

weather was very bad this past few days internet was struggling to get fast speeds but i expect that anyways :o
    do you use the wireless on the E5830 ?maybe your max speed is only 4mb/s beacause you are a good bit out from the mast im about 1-2km/s from the mast so usually get ok speeds pings etc but all depends who's online at the time!! lol yep i do have my modem by the window a good few times and notice a slight increase of speeds and pings heres a current test from a o2 modem i just unlocked a few mins ago for free yay :):) pings are gone down again as this modem supports HSPA :):)

876180634.png

mayo.mick wrote: »
    875311843.png

my speed today, ( in rural caven ):(
    that sucks ping is useless must take an age to get through the internet was in cavan a while ago in mullagh to be exact very rural area near virginia had no signal on my tesco mobile phone (uses o2 network) no signal on my 3 broadband no meteor signal ..only network that worked was vodafone as they had a mast at the garda station in the village very useless area for communication :rolleyes::rolleyes: only signal was a GPRS internet signal no 3G so the vodafone modem in the house i was in was crawling along loading pages was such a chore :p:p

876426531.png
    876428401.png
    Been like this most of the day, not sure why but my nearest test server has jumped from Limerick to Dublin.
    At these speeds it might be faster to invest in carrier pidgins.

876426531.png
    876428401.png
    Been like this most of the day, not sure why but my nearest test server has jumped from Limerick to Dublin.
    At these speeds it might be faster to invest in carrier pidgins.

same jump happened for me but i still used the limerick server and got a better result - ithe jump could be down to ip/dns but only three would really know that answer

876455350.png

Have switched from the e5830 and am using the e180 and it seems more stable on HSPA altho the software doesnt show HSPA the ping is the main indicator

If ping is less than 130ms it would usually mean HSPA rather than HSDPA.

has anyone on 3 ever got connected to the vodafone network if the 3 mast ever went down ..
    the 3 cell went down for 20mins last night and it then went to green light and said GPRS voda IE (roaming) beside the signal i connected and it worked i know 3 dont have data agreement with vf but it was working for me no bother last night for me :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I had the Vodafone network listed before instead of three but it wouldn't connect.

• Advertisement

878803595.png

20339824.png

Advertisement