Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3G/HSPA Routers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markygoods

ralphie wrote: »
    Does this reboot itself if it crashes.
    How good is it at picking up signal by comparison to the ones with an outer antenna.

The router itself hasn't crashed on me yet, the modem from time to time freezes/crashes/hangs whatever you want to call it. When it does, the router re-boots it and re-connects it to the net. This is it's most impressive feature as you just need to set it up once. Also you can bring the router with you anywhere as it is so compact and has various power options. I have used alot of different routers in my time but this one deffinatley suits me the best, range is good, my house is 22 meters long and 9 meters wide, dormer and I have signal everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

markygoods wrote: »
    The router itself hasn't crashed on me yet, the modem from time to time freezes/crashes/hangs whatever you want to call it. When it does, the router re-boots it and re-connects it to the net. This is it's most impressive feature as you just need to set it up once. Also you can bring the router with you anywhere as it is so compact and has various power options. I have used alot of different routers in my time but this one deffinatley suits me the best, range is good, my house is 22 meters long and 9 meters wide, dormer and I have signal everywhere.
    Thanks for reply.
    I am now considering getting this router going on your experience with it.
    I have a Huawei E5830 wireless modem from 3 which works ok (but of course there will sometimes be contention problems on 3's masts which you will probably have regardless of which modem you use) and is very portable.
    There are a few niggly problems with it however.The wireless signal stops after about 15 minutes when not in use and its very fiddly to turn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markygoods

ralphie wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.
    I am now considering getting this router going on your experience with it.
    I have a Huawei E5830 wireless modem from 3 which works ok (but of course there will sometimes be contention problems on 3's masts which you will probably have regardless of which modem you use) and is very portable.
    There are a few niggly problems with it however.The wireless signal stops after about 15 minutes when not in use and its very fiddly to turn on.

Check the modem support list first to see if yours is compatable with the router. http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/faq/solution-210.htm
    the E 122 works pretty well I must say, none of the problems that you have described, there is an option to make sure the modem doesn't hang up when idle on the router, there should be an option in the three control panel for the same.

markygoods wrote: »
    Check the modem support list first to see if yours is compatable with the router. http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/faq/solution-210.htm
    the E 122 works pretty well I must say, none of the problems that you have described, there is an option to make sure the modem doesn't hang up when idle on the router, there should be an option in the three control panel for the same.

I have an E220 (not compatable with windows 7 but maybe through router) and an E1550 modem both of which are in the list.
    I cannot change the time out on the E5830 unless I chance flashing it with spurious software.I dont want to risk it in case I brick it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Foxindbox wrote: »
    Solwise actually confirmed that the issue was firmware and send me a beta update. I upgraded the router and it worked, so I would recommend getting in contact with the manufacturer of your router and ask them if there's a firmware upgrade as this can be the only problem if you have the APN settings correct.

Thanks.

The girlfriend had a Solwise 3GNMRW 3G router, and a new Huawei E122 3g modem. It refused to work until I downloaded the latest firmware from the Solwise site... worked a treat then after the new firmware was updated and I done a hard reset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Just in case anyone would be interested, i got it working the last day. O2 wanted 50 quid for their mobile hotspot and I was sick of carrying the dongle around the house to different computers so I saw the vodafone gateway router on adverts and bought it for 20 and that night i had wifi set up. Its great, just had to change the APN by logging in as an admin (advanced, advanced). Nice cheapish solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wohlgetan

traxx711 wrote: »
    Im concidering purchacing 3G wireless broadband for 20 euro per month for the 25GB limit.

Hi!

Just stumbled across this post and wondered, where can I find a 20€/25GB/month offer?

All I found was 20€/15GB/month and my 6 month contract with O2 is about to expire in two month, so I'm starting to look for alternatives...

thanks in advance!

PS: My girl used webradio with her internet tablet and within three weeks she used more than 25GB of traffic, never assumed this would be so high! And every additional MB was charged as stated in the contract, this month cost me additional 180,- Euros for webradio! Pity me, I haven't controlled the traffic early enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Hi,

I'm a bit new to this whole wireless routers thing so sorry if these questions have already been asked! I've got 3 mobile broadband with the Huawei E122 modem which both me and my brother use on separate laptops at home.

So I was wondering which is the best wireless router to buy for this modem? Obviously the cheaper the better, but I would be willing to pay extra for additional features if they were reasonablly useful? Also do I just plug my modem into the router, plug the router in and then I can pick it up through wifi? A website that takes laser or paypal be best aswel!

Thanks for your help

is this router any good? I don't know too much about these things so wamted to make sure before I buy it!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-Wireless-N-WiFi-Mobile-Travel-Router-USB-3G-3-5G-/290493401527?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a2c189b7

I've got a Huawei E122 modem on the 3 nertwork. I just want something that can be plugged in and left alone basically and give off wifi signal to the whole house and connect 2 laptops and possibly a ps3. Will this router do?

Also how would I go about setting it up if I do buy it?

Thanks for your help!

Seanh111 wrote: »
    is this router any good? I don't know too much about these things so wamted to make sure before I buy it!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-Wireless-N-WiFi-Mobile-Travel-Router-USB-3G-3-5G-/290493401527?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a2c189b7

I've got a Huawei E122 modem on the 3 nertwork. I just want something that can be plugged in and left alone basically and give off wifi signal to the whole house and connect 2 laptops and possibly a ps3. Will this router do?

Also how would I go about setting it up if I do buy it?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055506944&page=8
    Have a look here,I think its the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Just bought this. seems very cheap. interesting to see if it will work.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0043GWGV8/ref=oss_product

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Anyone know if the Meteor Stick, I think it's either E180 or E182 (Meteor have used both names) it's the one with the 14.4MB/s speed, will work with the Sapido 3G router or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

DubDJ wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Meteor Stick, I think it's either E180 or E182 (Meteor have used both names) it's the one with the 14.4MB/s speed, will work with the Sapido 3G router or not?

If its this one then the compatiblity list is here and a user review here

If its this one then the compatiblity list is here and a user review here

Meteor has it on their site as an E182. But then gives documentation for an E180. I've seen the list and it has the E180 supported but then again I'm not sure if it's that one. I think I've ready Meteor customise the units so maybe it's just their version of the E180

Thanks though.

Well just found out it is infact an E182. I think it's an upgrade from the E180. From 7.2MB/s to 14.4 MB/s. So my lucks out on that one I think.

If anyone does know of a 3G router supporting the E182 please let me know. :(

DubDJ wrote: »
    Well just found out it is infact an E182. I think it's an upgrade from the E180. From 7.2MB/s to 14.4 MB/s. So my lucks out on that one I think.

If anyone does know of a 3G router supporting the E182 please let me know. :(

Maybe ask on the Huawei Support Forums one answer which might help is here trouble is it might only be half an answer.

Maybe ask on the Huawei Support Forums one answer which might help is here trouble is it might only be half an answer.

Thanks for the help. From that forum it seems only speed is an issue. I've asked on the Meteor forum anyways so hopefully a staff member can help.

Thanks WP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

adm wrote: »

Don't know about that particular router but ive the TP-Link TL-WR841ND and it's a fantastic router... think I've reset it once in about 6 months, great routers.

After a lot of online searching and picking up stuff on the whole router + 3g USB dongle thing i've gotten a good bit of information.

Most of the routers i've came across support the Meteor sticks up to 7.2MB/s. So i'm just curious has anybody got the Meteor Huawei E182 Stick to successfully work with any 3G Router? Most people have been using an E180 which is supported by most Routers now. Maybe the software will be compatible with the 3G Router.

Also what i've found is (Price Wise) the Edimax 3G-6200n Router is the best for most users.
    But if you have the funds and want the best performing one probably go for the the Dovado 3GN Router.

Just my two cents on it all.

• Advertisement

Maybe this one would support the Meteor stick?

The Dovado 4GR here
    Says that it supports speeds up to 21MB/s.

The list of compatible devices here says it supports E180, E180G, E182e & E1820.

Maybe one of these would have compatible software that would work.

Just thought i'd add what little information i've found because I haven't came across any supporting 3G Routers. The whole 14.4 speed seems really new to the Mobile Broadband world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Here you go DubDJ

Just to add, the Huawei E1820 and E182E are essentially the same. One has extra frequencies for use in North America and other territories, one does not. That's my understanding. Also, the change from the E180 isn't just speed, the 182E\0 is a modem that supports the HSPA+ standard.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Here you go DubDJ

Just to add, the Huawei E1820 and E182E are essentially the same. One has extra frequencies for use in North America and other territories, one does not. That's my understanding. Also, the change from the E180 isn't just speed, the 182E\0 is a modem that supports the HSPA+ standard.

Thanks a million mate. Big help. I've been looking and looking and couldn't find much about the modem itself was hoping somebody could help. Thanks again I can make my mind up now.

Well I've had little luck getting it to work so far with a three dongle. It did work for a while but completely unreliable and its not the dongle either cos it works on another router at the same location.

Well I've had little luck getting it to work so far with a three dongle. It did work for a while but completely unreliable and its not the dongle either cos it works on another router at the same location.

Quick question did you set the APN on the router and which one did you use?

Quick question did you set the APN on the router and which one did you use?

Sorry for delayed reaction but I gave up on it.
    Tried 3internet and 3internet.ie
    I have an older router with less range (G) that dongle works with using same settings so no idea why it doesnt work

I was browsing for a Repeater yesterday. I was looking for a compact\discreet DD-WRT compatible 'Fonera' and couldn't help but notice the latest model, La Fonera 2.0n, uses the exact same chassis as the Dovado 4GR, with limited 3G device compatability, along with some unique features, torrent client etc..

Pity there's only one USB port. It is the same chassis though. €79.

Interesting device.

You can opt out\switch off the 'paying\public hotspot' feature of the device.

http://wiki.fon.com/wiki/Fonera_2.0n

http://wiki.fon.com/wiki/3G_compatibility

fonerafrontn.jpg

fonera20n2.jpg

bbam wrote: »
    http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/productrb1732o_35g.htm

Hi all..
    Was wondering if anyone knows if this Sapido RB1732 Router would be compatible with my E160G on the 3 network.. for about €55 delivered from e-bay it seems good enough value..
    Not knowing much about routers combined with wireless broadband, do they work without being permanently connected to a PC..I'd like to set it up in our loft where the broadband is about 3X faster...

Please feel free to recommend another product that will work as described and cover a decent area..

Thanks

Not exactly legal with a 1000mW WiFi can't remember the max your allowed but afaik its about a one fith of that ;)

tbh unless its very cheap and €55 isn't that cheap I take a look at amazon.co.uk first, just search for 3G routers.

btw make sure you have easy access to the routers power supply switch as they often need restarting fairly regulary, like daily, not always the routers fault but most don't power cycle the modem unless they get turned off then back on again.

btw make sure you have easy access to the routers power supply switch as they often need restarting fairly regulary, like daily, not always the routers fault but most don't power cycle the modem unless they get turned off then back on again.

Talking of power cycling the modem, the Dovado Tiny, which has had a rather quiet release, is the first one where Dovado market 'proper' power cycling.

Exactly the same features as the 3GN. Very small, hence the name.. I've only seen a few German eBay traders selling it recently. Price is around €80.

You can use a different aerial/antenna, from the default.

Product page: http://www.dovado.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=22

• Advertisement

Following the mini-me trend in 3G Routers, TP-Link are bringing out a very small and dinky Router.

20111116viewmedia.jpg

This model has a USB power input, so, regardless of where it is sold, it'll work here..

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3020

Advertisement