Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Both eyes opened I can read to the bottom, my “good eye” can hit the bottom, my left eye can do 4th at best cause of the condition. Emailed the occupational health team and they can’t make a comment on it. Which is fair enough!

Did they allow you to squint a bit with your eyes to see the 6/12 line? I can see it with squinting, i.e. closing my eyes a bit, but not if i don't squint. Any advice on how the eye test was conducted would be highly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Did they allow you to squint a bit with your eyes to see the 6/12 line? I can see it with squinting, i.e. closing my eyes a bit, but not if i don't squint. Any advice on how the eye test was conducted would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Do you wear glasses? If you do and can read to the bottom of the chart with them, you're grand.

You need to be able to read the second line down without glasses.

I've heard you can squint, yeah, the nurse is usually focused on making sure you're saying the right letters.

MrChew wrote: »
    Do you wear glasses? If you do and can read to the bottom of the chart with them, you're grand.

You need to be able to read the second line down without glasses.

I've heard you can squint, yeah, the nurse is usually focused on making sure you're saying the right letters.

Thanks Mr Chew. Yeah, i do wear glasses. With them i can see all fine. Without my glasses, i can see the required line 6/12 but only if i squint a bit. Is it a nurse that conducts the eyesight tests? So, one squint can pre-determine my career :rolleyes:

Thanks Mr Chew. Yeah, i do wear glasses. With them i can see all fine. Without my glasses, i can see the required line 6/12 but only if i squint a bit. Is it a nurse that conducts the eyesight tests? So, one squint can pre-determine my career :rolleyes:

From the sounds of it, you won't need to squint - you only need to worry about getting as far as the second line without your glasses.

My understanding is that you'll be asked to read a Snellen chart a total of six times: left eye, right eye, both eyes all without glasses, then the same with your glasses on, left, right, both. However, as long as you can make it to the second line of the chart with your glasses off, you will pass the unaided requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

Balls. So what are you going to do, give it a dig and see what happens?

Just give it dixie on the day and hope for the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

Belfast86 wrote: »
    I’m assuming you have a lazy eye (amblyopia)

I too have this condition - I went to opticians in March and aided I was scraping by hitting 4th line down.

I got contact lens. Despite the guy telling me it won’t get better. I went back a month later after eye patching every night, on lunch breaks, eating dinner with family etc. Came out with 6/12 eyesight.

Keratoconus. Between now and my medical there’d be no time to adjust!

If it is within a week or two, i know an eye surgeon who can examine you and fit you in for laser eye surgery all within 1 week. It is in the south. Let me know in a PM if you need their contact details.

From the sounds of it, you won't need to squint - you only need to worry about getting as far as the second line without your glasses.

My understanding is that you'll be asked to read a Snellen chart a total of six times: left eye, right eye, both eyes all without glasses, then the same with your glasses on, left, right, both. However, as long as you can make it to the second line of the chart with your glasses off, you will pass the unaided requirement.

Really helpful Mr. Chew. Thank you, much appreciated.

Really helpful Mr. Chew. Thank you, much appreciated.

Any time. I have my medical within the next month, so I'll soon have first hand experience of what the eye test involves etc.

Just give it dixie on the day and hope for the best!

Yaaaaas, that's the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

You should be able to put back your medical date to give you time to get your eyesight corrected. When you get your date contact them to say that it doesn't suit and they should work with you to get another date.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Received my PCA date this morning. Time to take the training up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcztg_93

Received my PCA date this morning. Time to take the training up a notch.

Great news that you got your date. Good luck with your PCA! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Agliveo

Has anyone in the first group of FT not heard back from vetting yet? Also Mr Chew how long after your PCA did you get your medical date?

Agliveo wrote: »
    Has anyone in the first group of FT not heard back from vetting yet? Also Mr Chew how long after your PCA did you get your medical date?

Just over a week after. There's deffo people in the first FT group who haven't yet cleared vetting.

Just over a week after. There's deffo people in the first FT group who haven't yet cleared vetting.

Mad. I think we were in the same PCA group, I haven't had any communication since I emailed in my online learning. Driving me insane

Mad. I think we were in the same PCA group, I haven't had any communication since I emailed in my online learning. Driving me insane

Really? If you were in my PCA group, I'd have surely thought you might have got a medical date by now. And lockdown 2 doesn't seem to be a factor as I queried that and they said appointments were all going ahead. You could always email them to ask but I've heard they don't like to be pestered!

Really? If you were in my PCA group, I'd have surely thought you might have got a medical date by now. And lockdown 2 doesn't seem to be a factor as I queried that and they said appointments were all going ahead. You could always email them to ask but I've heard they don't like to be pestered!

Exactly! I'm wondering if I haven't received a medical date due to not receiving my vetting back yet. I know another guy who had his PCA within days after us and he hasn't received a medical date either. I have been tempted to get in touch with them so many times since the PCA but worry that it will wind them up and leave me on the back foot. To be fair it hasn't even been 3 weeks but it's certainly a stressful process

Exactly! I'm wondering if I haven't received a medical date due to not receiving my vetting back yet. I know another guy who had his PCA within days after us and he hasn't received a medical date either. I have been tempted to get in touch with them so many times since the PCA but worry that it will wind them up and leave me on the back foot. To be fair it hasn't even been 3 weeks but it's certainly a stressful process

3 weeks feels like three months at this point. The closer you get, the harder it is. I can't really focus on anything else atm.

3 weeks feels like three months at this point. The closer you get, the harder it is. I can't really focus on anything else atm.

Just the medical to go for you bud, you should be appointed in no time! Hopefully I'll be in your position soon. Good luck with your medical

• Advertisement

Just the medical to go for you bud, you should be appointed in no time! Hopefully I'll be in your position soon. Good luck with your medical

Cheers mate, hope you hear back soon!

Any time. I have my medical within the next month, so I'll soon have first hand experience of what the eye test involves etc.

Thanks a lot Mr Chew. You are brilliant, and if you could shed some light about your eyesight check after the medical, i would appreciate it. Well done for getting so close to GV xx

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

finally done my AC. now to wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

KN1231999 wrote: »
    finally done my AC. now to wait..

Good to hear they are back up and running and best of luck with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

Good to hear there’s a bit of movement.

Hopefully you all get some good news before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

we were told at the end that we would be gettting emails "very soon"
    how very soon means im assuming by the first deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Could results be out this Friday as originally planned??? There hasn't been any update to say results will be delayed. Does anyone have assessment centre date after this Friday 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Mine is after the 4th. I know that with the lockdown there is likely 2 weeks worth of AC’s delayed again. I believe they will release the results sometime in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Ah fair enough. Looks like January it is :( Best of luck with your assessment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

I think we’ll get something this week, there’s been zero communication to us that have done our AC’s months ago now. It’s not like this delay has come out of the blue, if they were planning on delaying results we would have been told. I’d say merit list position will come in January but we should be able to be given a mark/ pass or fail

Advertisement