Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network/Server Rack in Attic

• 09-11-2020 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Not ideal I know, but are there any major blockers to having my server rack up in the attic? It will be on solid attic flooring and housed in a rack cabinet.

Would only contain the basics:
    - (24 port) patch panel
    - a switch or two
    - router
    - NAS

Anything I need to be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Would it not get very dusty and clogged in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I worked in a house a few years back with this, he had built a bit of a cabinet around it it of wood with a fan in it to keep the dust down and the heat down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Had servers in the roof space of one small business. Worked fine but make sure you can power the cabinet on and off without a climb up into the roof.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

i have a few LAN routers aswell as tv distribution in my attic for three years now and no issue, however; everything i have fitted in fanless, i would like to fit a NAS with solid state drive; hoping to treat myself for christmas,

pmFr3LXTj

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Nice one, thanks. The dust would be my biggest concern, but I guess it wouldn't be too bad if everything is fan-less and i'd have it enclosed in a cabinet (albeit with some open air vents).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ever been in your attic on one of those rare 26*C days? Like a sauna in most homes. Not ideal for a NAS, router/switch will manage just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

ED E wrote: »
    Ever been in your attic on one of those rare 26*C days? Like a sauna in most homes. Not ideal for a NAS, router/switch will manage just fine.

Fair enough, I can keep the NAS downstairs somewhere and just have the router/switches in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

shakedown wrote: »
    Fair enough, I can keep the NAS downstairs somewhere and just have the router/switches in the attic.

A solid state drive in the NAS should reduce the noise considerably but not the cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't forget to install a smoke alarm up there with all that equipment.

Advertisement