Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Found an old ammunition box I think..

• 30-01-2020 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

Hey just looking at how to start finding out about an old box found in the grandparents house.
    I presume it's from ww2.
    It's a wooden box
    Inside it has printed
    Saddles rocket a/C no.3
    Ref 12N/18

On the outside base it has stamped
    M208
    1 C.I.L

Hopefully somebody could help shed some light please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Here it is holding a less valuable cargo than what it was made for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I think it might be an ammo box for the Lee Enfield No3 Mk1, but I am not 100% sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I think it might be an ammo box for the Lee Enfield No3 Mk1, but I am not 100% sure on that.

That's brilliant.. Thank you.
    At least now I can put a ' face' to what it was used for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Not if it has "saddles, rocket,A/c" on it. Nothing to do with rifles at all. "a/c" stands for aircraft and rocket saddles were launch rails for under the wings of fighters like the Typhoon or Hurricane, although by 1945, the Typhoon was the premier ground attack aircraft. "Ref. 12N/18" probably means the technical document dealing with it. M208 is probably the Lot or Batch number and 1 C.I.L. is probably the identity of a Unit. Each aircraft had eight of these bolted under the wings, to which a 25 or 60 pound rocket was attached.

Advertisement