Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperatures won't start to rise significantly until Sunday. Whilst temps will be on the rise tomorrow and Saturday it's a slow enough old process but increasing amounts of sunshine between now and Sunday as well.

Don't mind what the temperature is now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What a strange run the GFS 12z was. Gets northern blocking going by retrogressing the high then ends it off with a southerly with low pressure over Ireland and high pressure to the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can someone explain, with the kind of weather we're expecting next week, how warm would one expect a shaded ground-level cellar to be? We have a cellar inside our back steps which has a small southeast-facing opening which is the entrance. That opening only sees direct sunlight for a few hours per day as the neighbour's wall + extension tend to block some of it out as well as the direction it faces.

If something was stored in the corner of a cave like that which gets *no* sunlight ever, how warm would the ambient temperature and surrounding air be?

I'm about to cellar a new batch of bottle conditioned beer which needs to be reasonably cool, and I'm wondering if I should wait to move it into that outdoor cave-cellar thing until this spell of warm weather passes, despite the fact that the cave itself gets very little direct sun and the corner the beer would be stored in gets absolutely none?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I don't buy the humidity argument for a minute. Ireland is not more humid than countries in the Med, where dewpoints, especially in coastal resorts, can be in the 20s while dry bulb temperature is above 30. A 25 degrees there with 10-degree dp is the same as that here. It's just the other factors (lighter clothing, on holiday so expecting and wishing for heat, arsing around not working, etc.) that make it seem different.

A comparison of +144 hrs across the 12z runs. Some nice agreement out to then though the ICON and ECM have the high more centred over us than Scandinavia.

GFS ensembles become very uncertain by the end of next week with a big mess. A wide spread between them. A stark contrast to earlier runs.

GFS:

9Lj5xIG.png

UKMO:

sM6NTFT.gif

ECM:

OAXyuDk.gif

ICON:

wfPPQd6.png

GEM:

lLgDnv8.png

• Advertisement

Pretty good ECM if it's heat you are looking for next week.

ECMOPEU12_168_1.png

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

ECMOPEU12_216_1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bought 3 fans today :)

ECM 500 hPa Geopotential Height & Anomoly chart

ssnALgV.gif?1

ECM 850 hPa Temperature Anomaly

hvh1VPC.gif?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just a guide to potential, the finer details will change a bit but gives a rough idea of Temperatures to expect.

G9wd2fO.png

i3fCdqj.png

CQGS4su.png

ofrtCyG.png

TyM8lqF.png

8QQx5Nm.png

1dqB1J9.png

ECM shows maxima as high as 28 or 29c again by the end of next week with 28c being reached by Wednesday. 24c on Sunday and Monday, 25 or 26c on Tuesday. Minima as high as 18-21c on Friday morning (29th June).

I don't know what the hell the GFS was up to this evening. Seems to be no agreement among other models on it.

EDIT: Thanks Meteorite58 :D, good minds think alike.

ECM in general seems to be rock solid with this.

IMOBY next week :eek:

dqopdU3.png

R8aZif1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

So is there any thunderstorm potential coming up then, In the east anyway?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    So is there any thunderstorm potential coming up then, In the east anyway?

ECM day 10 (note: day 10) has a thundery low approaching from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Just to say, if the house/apartment gets overpoweringly hot during the heatwave, do what our Southern European cousins do...

Keep windows closed during the day, yes that's right, otherwise you are letting in very hot air all day. Close blinds and curtains too during the day. Yes the darkness cools things down a bit.

Then when evening falls, and the sun has gone to bed, open windows and doors and blinds to let the cooler air circulate.

When abroad I could never understand why everywhere was shuttered up so much, but now I know!

Anyway as pp said, it's the humidity that's the killer here.

I would suspect that closing the windows is only useful if outdoor temperatures reach the high twenties or higher. If, for instance, you are near the coast and there is a cooling sea breeze outside, the last thing you need is the house to become a heat trap like a greenhouse.

Regarding humidity, a dew point of around 16C and upwards becomes increasingly uncomfortable regardless of where you are and what the weather is doing otherwise.

A temperature of 23C and dew point of 17C, with slack winds and wall to wall sun, in July 2005, had even the Spanish students sitting under trees in the shade to avoid the sun.
    It got near 30C inland that day, but we were 'enjoying' the cool but moist sea breeze.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ECM day 10 (note: day 10) has a thundery low approaching from the west.

Yea towards next weekend the area of LP off the Iberian Peninsula looks to drift up towards Ireland and possibly joining with LP to the W, this could become quite unstable introducing higher levels of moisture in the atmosphere coupled with the diurnal heating to produce thunderstorms. Long way off though.

Before then no great signals as yet.

Next Thurs going by 12Z run looks like a scorcher.

ECU0-168_ujx5.GIF

ECU100-168_xwn4.GIF

Should be enough to see 30 exceeded in some inland parts.

The ECM ensembles quite impressive too. The average shows very warm or hot weather all the way through until at least Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

All I can see on the ECM this evening is that the higher temps are shifting more and more westwards.

New Moon

Yes the latter part of the week the Western side of the country seems to favour the warmest temperatures on the 12Z ECM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    All I can see on the ECM this evening is that the higher temps are shifting more and more westwards.

temperatures on the east coast still look decent up to Thursday, then lowering to the low 20s from about Thursday afternoon due to onshore winds. I don't think the cooling effect from the Irish Sea will be nearly as severe as last time tho.

For what it's worth, Dublin's highest temperature of 2017 was recorded on this day last year when it reached 28.6c in Phoenix Park. Map for that day which looks a little odd:

eS23PlB.png

All from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Temperatures beginning to improve from tomorrow with a couple of cool nights to come but really kicking off from Sunday . Great spell of weather at the moment.

850 hPa

tempresult_unu8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking forward to the coming week :) Im going for Mount Dillon as a hot spot, 29 degrees,Thursday 4pm met reports.

Shannon Thurs 30C , 16.00 met reports :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Villian will be on the Tonight Show on Tv3 before midnight to talk about the coming fine spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Dublin's highest temperature of 2017 was recorded on this day last year when it reached 28.6c in Phoenix Park. Map for that day which looks a little odd:

eS23PlB.png

All from Met Eireann.

I remember it well. Felt like the Bahamas. Very windy too. 28c.

28c Markee Castle.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    I remember it well. Felt like the Bahamas. Very windy too. 28c.

it was probably the warmest day we had here in years, but it was very short lived. From what I can remember the temperature fell sharply after 4pm with the cold front moving in from the west.

It was funny how the warmest day of last year's warm spell was the dullest day of it. A big waste if you ask me. The Saturday-Tuesday of the spell were wonderful though. It was the hottest Summer solstice on record in the UK with a maximum of 34.5c at Heathrow. We could barely reach 20c on the same day a year later.

I'll go for 29c Newport Thursday 16:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Mount Dillon 31c. I'm inclined to go with a 17:00 report.

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Mount Dillon 31c.

Oh there getting higher :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement