Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-01-2018, 11:13   #31
I'm A Commercial Pilot, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyhurler View Post
Can I be bold and ask 2 questions.

With the proliferation of LCC's, have the terms/conditions of the job changed much in the 20+ years?

Also,

Any seriuosly scary incidents in those 20 odd years?

Cheers.
Yesm it has changed a lot! Some airlines set a new benchmark in terms of how they operate and this becomes a target for others to aspire to (rightly or wrongly) - a whole industry in itself has now sprung up that caters to people just trying to get their foot on the first rung of the ladder - that didn't exist 20 years ago.

We are all definitely working a lot harder now than in the past.

And, honestly, nothing seriously scary!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2018, 11:13   #32
funkey_monkey

There is increasing concern about the over reliance of pilots on technical aids in the modern aircraft. What are your thoughts on this and do you see the role of a pilot being 'dumbed down' in the next couple of decades to essentially being up in the cockpit to monitor systems and for passenger reassurance.
26-01-2018, 11:15   #33
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
Have you ever seen anything in the sky that you couldn't explain?
I've seen plenty of things on the ground I couldn't explain!
26-01-2018, 11:18   #34
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer1234 View Post
Whats your most favorite and most unfavorable Airport to fly into and why?
Favourite: Munich, everything just seems to work there...!

Least favourite: Probably Leeds, just to do with the weather and how its location doesn't help....
26-01-2018, 11:21   #35
funkey_monkey

How difficult is a crosswind landing?

Have you ever had to reign in a colleague who was operating outside of procedures? If so, how was it received? Or vice versa?

Have the eastern airlines fully got rid of the obedience at all costs to Capt. mindset that resulted in a number of crashes?

Would you fly with Malaysia Airlines?
Advertisement
26-01-2018, 11:23   #36
NATLOR

What do you think happened to missing plane MH 370
26-01-2018, 11:23   #37
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5rtytry56 View Post
What is your favourite Prop and favourite Jet aircraft.

When last, if ever, have you flown a 'tail dragger' ?
Overall...that's tough, I'd say my favourite prop is the Constellation (never managed to get a flight in one), wouldn't mind having a go flying it...!

Jet, I would really like to have a go in a 727...doesn't look likely these days!

Edit: never flown a tail dragger...someday if I get the time, maybe...
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2018, 11:26   #38
40now

I am not a conspiracy theorist am I won't mention the word "chemtrails" but what are those white streaks that come out of planes? you know the things that look like clouds and hang about in the sky for a long time and have you ever done it?

Last edited by 40now; 26-01-2018 at 11:31. Reason: Spelling error.
26-01-2018, 11:30   #39
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishejit View Post
It seems that the industry is facing a pilot shortage in the very near future, however it is getting harder and harder to get your commercial rating due to the costs involved and the lack of funded training.

How do you see this being addressed, or will it be left to those people how can afford to take out huge loans to self fund their training?
So like I said, there is now a whole industry that in of itself that provides all these type ratings (and line training of course) which is something that sprang up at a time when there was no such thing as a shortage of pilots. My best guess is somebody somewhere saw an opportunity to monetise a part of their business (just like paying to select a seat.)

If there was genuinely a shortage, it would eventually show itself in airlines bending over backwards to fund what (currently) is expected of the candidate. Whilst its driven by slightly different reasons, a lot of smaller carriers in the USA are offering large signing bonuses as their pool of candidates dries up. In Europe this really hasn't happened yet.

Airlines are loathe to spend money at the best of times, so it will take quite some time before they decide to really change how they hire. Many people (inlcuding those with the means) are put off the job due to the initial outlay.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2018, 11:33   #40
GBX

Was becoming a commercial pilot a long term dream as kit or something you decided later in life?

Has it lived up to the expectation of job fulfillment or do you find it a highly stressful job knowing you are effectively in control of the lives of a few hundred people for a few hours?
26-01-2018, 11:34   #41
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by black & white View Post
Why do landings on a Ryanair plane seem harder than AL or other airlines ?
Given some of the crunchers I've been responsible for during my time I don't think it comes down to the airline...in reality, way too many variables involved to be definitive...
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2018, 11:34   #42
Sabre0001

Ever tempted to do a barrel roll?

What made you interested in becoming a pilot?

Do you have much downtime between journeys? Do you actually get to see a city that you fly to?

How long do pilots spend practicing the pilot voice for the intercom and do you practice what you're going to say?
26-01-2018, 11:39   #43
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9or10 View Post
Hi thanks for doing the AMA.

Just enjoyed watching the film "Sully" (Miracle on the Hudson).

I'd be interested to know how you viewed the film and the event.

I'm guessing that the enquiry afterwards was dramatised somewhat for the film.
I actually haven't seen the film!

But Sully had a lot of things going for him never mind his ability to take decisive action in the situation. He had full flight controls and electrics which made the handling of the aircraft easier, he had relatively benign weather and he was able to put down close to where help would be rapidly available, the fact he handled it so well is icing on the cake.
26-01-2018, 11:44   #44
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Sauce View Post
Is it true what they say about the little triangles above the windows? A visual or a marker for crew to look out at wings/engine to see if any issues. Window blinds up for rescuers to look in, or passengers to look out for danger, in case of incident. Lights dimmed for eyes to adjust to darkness, again in case of incident. Etc. Etc.
The triangles indicate the best position to be able to look at the wing from inside the cabin; very handy when checking for ice on the top of the wing.

Window blinds: allows light into the cabin in case of total electrical failure in the daylight and also allows crew to visually assess outside what is going on if necessary (i.e. fire, smoke, damage, leaks etc) - at night time it's the same reason minus the daylight. Having lights dimmed or off allows the eyes to adust in darkness which allowed you to be able to pick out details more readily in case of a problem. It also makes the emergency lights stand out better should they come on and you have to react and move towards them.
26-01-2018, 11:53   #45
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
what was your most scariest experience flying a plane ???
Rather than being scared, the first flight as a Captain when you do suddenly cop that you are actually the one responsible on board for everything is exciting....!
Thread Closed