Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

Advertisement
25-11-2014, 17:13   #32
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Bap View Post
If American TV has thought me anything, a crook can make a shank out of anything in the clink. Is that something that is common in the Irish prison system?
Yes. Going back to Love/Hate and the prison scenes, we saw Fran melting a razor blade into a toothbrush. That's exactly what they so. Sometimes they'll use two blades with a match stick separating them do that the weapon will leave a scar that is harder to stitch up, thus leaving permanent scarring. Snooker ball in a sock is another one. That's why all razor blades and snooker balls need to b accounted for at all times in so far as is possible. Other weapons include sharpened plastic from dinner trays, table legs. Basically anything.
25-11-2014, 17:18   #33
Boom_Bap
Landfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Yes. Going back to Love/Hate and the prison scenes, we saw Fran melting a razor blade into a toothbrush. That's exactly what they so. Sometimes they'll use two blades with a match stick separating them do that the weapon will leave a scar that is harder to stitch up, thus leaving permanent scarring. Snooker ball in a sock is another one. That's why all razor blades and snooker balls need to b accounted for at all times in so far as is possible. Other weapons include sharpened plastic from dinner trays, table legs. Basically anything.
Thanks for that.

Another thing that is popularised by American prison TV shows is the whole mentality of with there being no women around, some seek love/intamacy in their fellow inmates. I would suspect that this would be hidden from officers. Is there any truth to this in Irish prisons?
25-11-2014, 17:20   #34

Have you ever come across a former inmate on the outside? Are you trained for those sort of events? Can't imagine you'd sit and have a pint and talk about old times with them
25-11-2014, 17:20   #35
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherted1969 View Post
How do ye supposedly miss so much stuff smuggled in. Do ye turn a blind eye just to keep the peace
There's a multitude of ways that contraband gets in. Secreted internally is a massive one. If a lad knows he's going to jail, he'll stuff himself with pills/drugs/even phones and we may not detect it. Only a doctor can physically examine any orifice. Another method would be throwing over a perimeter wall from outside but now all prisons have nets over the yard. However they get around this by using clever methods such as freezing tablets in ice cubes and firing them up onto the net, when the ice melts, the pills drop trough. Visits is another way contraband makes it in. Not all visits are screened so contact is possible. Anybody found smuggling or attempting to smuggle contraband into a prison will be prosecuted. Officers have even been convicted of smuggling themselves and have faced sentences as a result, and obviously losing their jobs.

Will answer more questions in a while, keep them coming.
Advertisement
25-11-2014, 17:22   #36
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetloud View Post
are you going to answer any of these questions ?
Get this. Im in work. In a prison. Can't have my phone on me til break time.
(107) thanks from:
3102derek, Agent Coulson, Ahhhhh its grand, amdublin, angeldelight, Ankhyu, Arghus, Azalea, bigbudda, blackwhite, bluewolf, BonsaiKitten, Boom_Bap, BUBBLES1978, cabledude, Capt'n Midnight, celica00, Ciderswigger, citrus burst, Collie D, Conchir, Dancor, Darkglasses, Das Kitty, dee_mc, Delirium, Dietsquirt, Dolph Starbeam, dudara, DylanJM, Earthhorse, EIREDriver, endacl, eviltwin, fatguy, fenris, Garseys, gebbel, georgieM, gerrybbadd, GLaDOS, Glebee, Glico Man, hidinginthebush, Iseedeadpixels, IvyTheTerrible, Jane_Dough, jaymcg91, juke, justfillmein, kenon, Khannie, LaVail, Lazare, LeNNoX, Lingua Franca, Lombardo86, Loughc, lukesmom, Mam of 4, manonboard, Mark Rippetoe, MaroonAndGreen, Matt_Trakker, mirrorwall14, MissFlitworth, Moneymaker, n0brain3r, newbee22, Neyite, nkay1985, noodler, Nosnon, NuckChorris1, OpenYourEyes, opti76, orestes, Orim, pwurple, Queen-Mise, radharc, rainbowtrout, Rakish Paddy, reap-a-rat, Samhain, Samoa Joe, Samsgirl, Seathrun66, seventeen sheep, skooterblue2, Skylinehead, snoopsheep, SpaceFlunky, spiralism, Star Lord, Starokan, sullivlo, Tabnabs, Tar.Aldarion, Teyla Emmagan, thebostoncrab, Toots, Vowel Movement, westernfrenzy, Whatsisname, whiskeyman, Wibbs
25-11-2014, 17:40   #37
endacl

Quote:
You could smuggle it in!

25-11-2014, 17:48   #38
downonthefarm

Who is the most famous or infamous prisoner you dealt with
25-11-2014, 17:48   #39

Do you still have that incredible health insurance scheme in the prison service? My auld fella was a prison officer - managed to get my teeth fixed through it!

Also, do you think the existing Dublin prisons are fit for purpose? Can they be upgraded, or is a brand new facility needed?
Advertisement
25-11-2014, 17:57   #40

Quote:
Can you not borrow an inmates?
25-11-2014, 18:01   #42

Is there ever sexual tension between either the inmates and/or inmates and prison officers?
25-11-2014, 18:29   #43
December2012

Did you have to get clearance or an okay from your boss or managers etc to do this AMA? How much are you allowed to talk about your work generally?
25-11-2014, 18:38   #44

I have a friend in the prison service in london and he told me a horror story about an attack on a man involving heated liquidated sugar and other chemicals to makeshift some acid to throw in a guys face, has anything like that happened in ireland? What was the worst attack you encountered?
25-11-2014, 18:49   #45
Mar Mar Marmalade

Do inmates generally get picked on depending on if they're considered an easy target to others or is it a bit of to each their own compared to that of the so heard viciousness of American prisons.
Thread Closed