Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toy Story 4

• 07-11-2014 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Confirmed today. I'm disappointed in this news, I feel Pixar have been resting on their laurels over the last few years and this doesn't fill me with confidence. Thought the trilogy was close to perfect but can't see this keeping that quality up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm...

Listen: I'd happily cite the two Toy Story sequels as among the finest follow-ups in cinema history. But the thing is, the third was a perfect ending. It closed the story with both a full-stop and an ellipsis. It's as ideal a conclusion to a trilogy - accidental though it may be - as I can possibly imagine. Anything further runs a very real risk of redundancy.

This is Pixar - they've worked near-miracles three times with this series and these characters, and there's no reason to believe they couldn't do it again. But IMO for this film's existence to be worthwhile (well, apart from the fact that it will inevitably make all of the money) they really need to knock it out of the park. They've put themselves in a position where a merely excellent Toy Story sequel will be a disappointment - with each passing sequel the bar is raised almost impossibly higher. Heck, even the third struggled to match the first two in some respects, but thankfully that final act made up for it and then some.

Also a little concerned that Lasseter is back directing, given his last two films have been less than inspiring...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Really disappointed with this; Toy Story is/was the perfect trilogy, with one of the finest endings to a story I can think of. I was hoping that they would content themselves with the shorts they have been releasing, but I did feel that this was inevitable. I'd be less apprehensive if Pixar's recent sequel pedigree was a little more inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭squonk

Shame. It just should have been left. I suppose Disney need to recoup that purchase price somehow and this is it. I'd prefer though if they ploughed a new furrow. Wall-E was the last good Pixar thing I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Gotta agree with everyone else on this.
    Toy Story was a super trilogy. Pixar may need the sequel, but the audience certainly dont.

Just give us an Incredibles sequel so you've a template to base a movie on, then go work on a new project!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well between the TV specials, promotions for Sky and general shilling across the board, this announcement doesn't come as any great surprise.

The Toy Story trilogy is near perfect really, a triumphant combination of entertainment and emotion, capable of making anyone of any age shed a tear. To go back to the well for a 4th time, having comprehensively sewn-up the story at the end of #3 just smacks of the worst kind of money-grubbing.

What's funny is that the films had a running theme of growing-up and learning to move on. Feels like a hollow message when Disney / Pixar can't do that themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

‘Toy Story 4’: Josh Cooley Becomes Sole Director as John Lasseter Steps Down
    John Lasseter has stepped down as director of “Toy Story 4,” leaving co-director Josh Cooley to take full reins.

Lasseter revealed the news on Friday at D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif. Lasseter, Pixar’s chief creative officer, has directed the first “Toy Story” in 1995. He will stay on the project as an executive producer.

Cooley, head of story on the Pixar hit “Inside Out,” was named one of Variety‘s 10 Animators to Watch in 2015. Cooley started at the company as an intern working on “Cars.”

“To be co-director on ‘Toy Story 4’ with John, who brought the ‘Toy Story’ characters to the screen 20 years ago, is a dream come true,” he told Variety in 2015. “When I first saw ‘Toy Story,’ I was amazed by the groundbreaking computer-generated animation. But it was the strong storytelling that kept me coming back. ‘Toy Story 4’ will continue that tradition and I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of it!”

On stage, Lasseter and Cooley played a video taken at Pixar headquarters that introduced the movie’s crew.

“Toy Story 4” will bring back original stars Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. “Toy Story 3” remains Pixar’s highest-grossing film, having hauled $1.1 billion worldwide.

“Toy Story 4” is written by Rashida Jones and Will McCormack, based on a story by the Pixar Braintrust (Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, and Lee Unkrich).

The fourth installment of the animated franchise hits theaters on June 21, 2019.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/toy-story-4-new-director-josh-cooley-john-lasseter-steps-down-1202496456/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So Lasseter will be free to makes Cars 4? Great news. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can only agree with others. Toy Story is near to being the perfect trilogy of films. Actually, it probably is a perfect trilogy. It taps into so many things for so many people of so many ages, it's quite brilliant when you think of it.

I just don't know why this needs to continue. Because, almost inevitably, it is going to embody the dimishing returns cliche, even if the previous sequels haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

'Toy Story 4' Finds Its Writer

Stephany Folsom will pen the script for the hotly anticipated sequel
    Toy Story 4 has found its writer.

Stephany Folsom, who recently had a feud with Marvel after being denied a "Story by" credit on Thor: Ragnarok, has been tapped to write the script for the upcoming fourth installment of the long-running Pixar franchise, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Rashida Jones was initially attached as writer for the film, along with her writing partner Will McCormack, but she left the project last year. It was initially reported that Jones decided to step away from the project because of unwanted advances from Pixar head John Lasseter, who took a leave of absence following claims of sexual harassment and misconduct, but Jones refuted the reports in The New York Times, saying, "We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. ... We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences." Jones and McCormack went on to say that Pixar has a "a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice."

For Folsom, the role as writer on Toy Story 4 is her first major credit. She appeared on The Black List in 2013 for her original screenplay 1969: A Space Odyssey, or How Kubrick Learned to Stop Worrying and Land on the Moon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/toy-story-4-finds-writer-1075806

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Wasn't this orignally meant to be from an 'amazing' idea that John Lassetter had?

I'm a bit worried that they may be tarnsihing a perfect trilogy purely for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Kids don't play with toys anymore, they play Fortnite...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Pixar 2000-2009
    8 movies, 1 sequel

Pixar 2010-2019
    11 movies, 7 sequels

Disney bought Pixar in 2006, in case you're wondering when the new 'creative' approach started to take shape.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Didn't they say a while ago they have no more plans for sequels after Toy Story 4? I'll believe it when I see it, but it does seem like they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tom Hanks said on BBC Radio Two the ending is very very moving (or words to that effect) and he couldn't look at people when he was reading his lines. Thought the last one finished it well, and made me blub more than once but I'm sure I'll still go and see this, more in hope than expectation.

On sequels, I actually thought The Incredibles 2 was excellent but Finding Dory was meh, Monster University like a straight to video thing Disney do, and the Cars sequels absolute toilet.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Buzz to be the major must have toy for Xmas 19 again?
    There's still a perfectly working buzz in our house, my 25 yo sons.
    I'm looking forward to a look at 4, I won't judge till I see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Edward M wrote: »
    Buzz to be the major must have toy for Xmas 19 again?
    There's still a perfectly working buzz in our house, my 25 yo sons.
    I'm looking forward to a look at 4, I won't judge till I see.

Will it be our for Christmas? If it is I’m buying both my kids one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Brian? wrote: »

Summer 19 I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Brian? wrote: »

They were great.
    There was a woodies too, but ironically the dog got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Didn't they say a while ago they have no more plans for sequels after Toy Story 4?
    Yes, they're only "developing original ideas", with their next 5 films allegedly being non-sequels. They had two original films in 2015, but since then, 4 out of their next five films were sequels. They have untitled films listed for March 2020, June 2020, June 2021, March 2022, and June 2022, but I'm sure some dates will change.

I mean, I don't expect them to start making sequels to A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, WALL-E, or Up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a weird thing; I'm quite disappointed to see an obviously commercially mandated Toy Story sequel, but I also know there's a good chance I'll drift into the cinema purely on goodwill for the trilogy alone - which I guess is precisely what Disney are hoping for.

The trailer for Toy Story 4 seems quite apt considering the recent news about Ardmann Animations, who announced they were giving ownership of the company to all 300 of its staff (to be held in a Trust) - specifically to avoid takeovers & remain independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pixar 2000-2009
    8 movies, 1 sequel

Pixar 2010-2019
    11 movies, 7 sequels

Disney bought Pixar in 2006, in case you're wondering when the new 'creative' approach started to take shape.

I partially agree with you but you're including movies in the 90s in the 2000-09 range and you include a 3 year "post-Disney" period in the 2000-09 range which skews the analysis...

1995-2006 (11 years): 6 originals, 1 sequel (Toy Story 2)

2007-2018 (11 years): 7 originals, 6 sequels

That's 7 sequels when you include 2019. You could also argue that Ratatouille (2007) was in the pipeline already pre-Disney.

They're still producing high quality original, creative content at the same rate as "pre-Disney" IMO, but I agree on the point that outside of Toy Story (I haven't seen Incredibles 2 yet) their sequels are poor. Maybe it's not so much that their creativity is being drained but that the perceived quality of their output is being diluted with "Cars" sequels.

Dunno whether it's coincidence or deliberate, but it looks like the Child's Play remake will be released the same day as Toy Story 4 - that's kinda hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Dunno whether it's coincidence or deliberate, but it looks like the Child's Play remake will be released the same day as Toy Story 4 - that's kinda hilarious.

I can see the headlines already after some group of children are shepherded into the wrong screen by a blissfully unaware teacher/parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

• Registered Users Posts: 55,447 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Full trailer out today. I can already tell that it's going to make me cry. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It had me at the Beach Boys.

Though I hope the next trailer will be less Woody-centric and the rest of the gang get some screen time.

I remained sceptical about revisiting the Toy Story world after such a wonderful capper at the end of number 3, but that trailer still got me right in the feels damnit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

^ this x 1,000,000

I had serious reservations but I was welling up watching that trailer? They couldn't actually wrap things up AND deliver the all time greatest quadrilogy? Could they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hope they can deliver something of the level of the previous three. But you would wonder how closely the plot is going to resemble all the other previous films, just judging by the trailer. Is there a chance that it could be a case of re-hashing old tropes.

Advertisement