Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE ads from the 80s...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Was having a sconce through some more of the content on that vid.I remember that series Raic that was half in Irish and half in English.The bit where yer man says "You can have your bomb back,the hens don't want to **** on it anymore" brought it back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I'm a divil for these ads.....
    What was the beer ad where an Irishman goes into a pub but he can't think of the name of the beer he wants and the barman is trying to guess which one it is,and then the Irishman says ".....you know,the one that sounds like a Russian sneeze?" but the barman still hasn't a clue,and says ".....from Albania,the crest of King Zog".

Am I ringin any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Do ye remember the ad about fire safety where the little girl is standing in front of the fire in her night dress and it catches fire, the "mum" then says "sure wouldn't you be lost without them" or words to that effect. Used to terrify me wouldn't go near sitting room when I was ready for bed, guess it worked!!!!

"Kids are divils; but sure, wouldn't you just die if anything happened to them?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

ferretone wrote: »
    "Kids are divils; but sure, wouldn't you just die if anything happened to them?"

Spoken by Laurie Morton (wife of David Kelly).

Always played middle-aged or old crones.

ferretone wrote: »

Can this ad be found anywhere?
    Many Irish ads which we thought we'd never see again are re-appearing lately.....

• Advertisement

Seasan wrote: »
    Can this ad be found anywhere?
    Many Irish ads which we thought we'd never see again are re-appearing lately.....
    Almost all the ads that have reappeared lately were as a result of people recording them directly off the telly to a VHS tape when they were originally shown.I suspect that ad may have been a bit before VHS recorders becoming common but you never know,it and a lot of other ads might be out there in attics on old dusty tapes.

Was listening to the local radio station(Tipp FM) at work this morning and twas the classical,opera and chant slot,and they played 2 songs which immediately made me remember 2 ads-one of them was used in an old Ragu ad,where he comes home and asks his wife in the kitchen "...so what are we having tonight then?" and she bursts into the song and sings....

"Iiiit's aaa spagheeeettti sauce,it's beauuuutiful for paaasta,
    Siiiit down,it won't be long,it couldn't be much fasterrr.."
    And at the end of the ad,he sings:
    "How about an...early night then..."
    and she sings:
    "Noot in frrrooooont of the kids."

And the other one was "O Fortuna",the one used for the old ads for Old Spice....the ones with the surfer in the water

"Does your hair poop at parties?
    Does it fall apart at get-togethers?
    Does it die at the disco?
    At the party...VO5
    At the restaurant...VO5
    At the nightclub...VO5"

"You can tell a Wella woman by the way she wears her hair,
    You can tell a Wella woman anywhere."

"St-St-St-Studio Line from Loreal,
    Who's lookin good today,who's lookin good in every way,start your hair..."

They could nearly make a cd soundtrack of retro hair ads for women!! :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

"Hello Dave.
    I am sorry to disturb you, but I feel we do need to talk."

The voice of the tv in that ad reminded of HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey

Does anybody remember the Cray or Crea family,who did their own TV ad for Radion washing powder in the late 80s?It was shown a lot on RTÉ television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Was listening to the local radio station(Tipp FM) at work this morning and twas the classical,opera and chant slot,and they played 2 songs which immediately made me remember 2 ads-one of them was used in an old Ragu ad,where he comes home and asks his wife in the kitchen "...so what are we having tonight then?" and she bursts into the song and sings....

"Iiiit's aaa spagheeeettti sauce,it's beauuuutiful for paaasta,
    Siiiit down,it won't be long,it couldn't be much fasterrr.."
    And at the end of the ad,he sings:
    "How about an...early night then..."
    and she sings:
    "Noot in frrrooooont of the kids."

And the other one was "O Fortuna",the one used for the old ads for Old Spice....the ones with the surfer in the water

I remember the Ragu ad, it pops into my head, annoyingly, from time to time. Unfortunately, whenever I hear the music from it on Lyric or wherever, those stupid words are all I can think of!

Does anybody remember the Cray or Crea family,who did their own TV ad for Radion washing powder in the late 80s?It was shown a lot on RTÉ television.

Creaghs. From Tramore. Think it was first shown around 1984/1985.

Red-haired children. Appeared to be an irritating bunch.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Creaghs. From Tramore. Think it was first shown around 1984/1985.

Red-haired children. Appeared to be an irritating bunch.

Some of the things I do remember from that ad are when one of the kids comes up to the camera and says something about a brainwave,they are goin trekking or hiking and the kids are singin "Dad doesn't know the wa-ay..."(and of course their clothes get all dirty and smelly),and when the ad is over,one of the older kids bursts out laughing and says "this is a Creagh Family production"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Best:

MeeHall Angelo and his yellow boxes.
    Yer man with the lumbago and changing lanes in the car. If you had the only car in the world ...
    shake and vac
    the army one with a 5th of beethoven

Worst:

The aforementoned crone with the salmonella chopping board (usually they liked to play all her ads in one go) Put me right off my bosco.

Some of the things I do remember from that ad are when one of the kids comes up to the camera and says something about a brainwave,they are goin trekking or hiking and the kids are singin "Dad doesn't know the wa-ay..."(and of course their clothes get all dirty and smelly),and when the ad is over,one of the older kids bursts out laughing and says "this is a Creagh Family production"....

That brings it all back. We used say "f*ck off" when we saw their ad appear.

Remember the army recruitment ad with the disco take on Beethoven?It's the second one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This:

the lemsip laughing policeman
    catch chocolate bar - first its crispy then its creamy- catch!!!
    cola cadet marching bottles

"Bring me apples,bring me honey,
    Bring me hazelnuts,bring me wheat,
    Bring me lots of good things to eat,
    Bring me Kelloggs Country Store".

"I WANT MY LIIIGAA!!
    Children these days....so demanding!"

"God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay,
    Pick up your phone and call direct-there is no better way
    For family and friends your xmas greetings to display,
    Tis much easier to ring out the old year,and ring in the new,
    Merry xmas from Telecom(Éireann) to you."

"Bring me apples,bring me honey,
    Bring me hazelnuts,bring me wheat,
    Bring me lots of good things to eat,
    Bring me Kelloggs Country Store".

"I WANT MY LIIIGAA!!
    Children these days....so demanding!"

"God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay,
    Pick up your phone and call direct-there is no better way
    For family and friends your xmas greetings to display,
    Tis much easier to ring out the old year,and ring in the new,
    Merry xmas from Telecom(Éireann) to you."
    I'd totaly forgotten about that animated Liga ad.The mother prattling on about how great it is and the kid getting more and more impatient till he roars out that line.Laughing my head off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'd totaly forgotten about that animated Liga ad.The mother prattling on about how great it is and the kid getting more and more impatient till he roars out that line.Laughing my head off now.

Was that Rosaleen Linehan in the Liga Ad?

• Advertisement

Eeden wrote: »
    Was that Rosaleen Linehan in the Liga Ad?
    Could well have been,it was very much in her dramatic style.

"I now know who killed Madame Doyle-mes amis,it was muhmuhmuhmuhmuh......
    You'll never know,when the nibbles will strike!"
    (ad for KP nuts I think)

"Justa one Corrrnettooo,geev eet too meee,
    Dee-lee-cious ice crrream frrrom Eee-ta-lee,
    Vaneeella and chocolate crrream,
    Geev mee Corrrnettoo from HB ice crrre-ee-am!!"

"Níl aon tinteán mar do Homestead fhéin-fiúntas ag teacht abhaile.
    Homestead,fiúntas ag teacht chun tí."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Spoken by Laurie Morton (wife of David Kelly).

Always played middle-aged or old crones.

My image of that ad was she slapped the girl for standing too close to the fire. Could be wrong though!

road_high wrote: »
    My image of that ad was she slapped the girl for standing too close to the fire. Could be wrong though!
    Don't think she slapped her but she did give her a bollocking,don't do that you'll burn yourself or words to that effect in a very stern voice.She used to scare me especially as she reminded me of a strict aunt of mine.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Don't think she slapped her but she did give her a bollocking,don't do that you'll burn yourself or words to that effect in a very stern voice.She used to scare me especially as she reminded me of a strict aunt of mine.

I think she sounded like she was vexed all through that ad if I remember rightly...
    "....IS-148;now that might sound like a robot,but it could save your child's life-if this number is not on the label,the nightie could go up in flames,and your child along with it-so if this number isn't on it,then DON'T BUY IT!! Here you go love....."

Sorry if this ad has already been mentioned,but I heard the local radio station yesterday evening playin the full version of the tune from the Bórd Na Móna bricquettes ad-the one where he is playing the tune on the fiddle,the kids are warming their feet at the fire and there are people dancing to the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sorry if this ad has already been mentioned,but I heard the local radio station yesterday evening playin the full version of the tune from the Bórd Na Móna bricquettes ad-the one where he is playing the tune on the fiddle,the kids are warming their feet at the fire and there are people dancing to the music.
    This it?

delw wrote: »

That's EXACTLY it. :-) ;-)

• Advertisement

Advertisement