Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

numbnutz wrote: »
    Im pretty sure if he posts a 3 or 4 under tomorrow it's his but if Fleetwood gets off to a flier it will be very interesting but his win at the start of the season should keep him grounded mentally and he's been here before so here's hoping.
    There's also the weather and whatever hand that deals the field but again I hope he's in a window of good weather...and the golfing gods are with him.
    C'mon Shane!!!!

If you offered him a 70 right now, I think hed bite your arm off. And thats assuming the weather is better than predicted!

If he shoots -3 or -4 tomorrow, he will win walking away. Now, I dont think he will have it easy tomorrow, but I do think that any poor weather that comes in will be to his advantage. It would mean that nobody is going to rock in with a 62 or a 63, which eliminates all bar 3 or 4 of the chasers. And realistically, I already think this is a two man tournament.

I expect Shane to do the job. If the wind gets up, look for a display not unlike Clarke"s in 2011, one of the most clinical rounds Ive ever had the pleasure to watch. Hel be in his element. He has had all the shots this week and his pitching and chipping are outstanding, even in such exalted company. Oakmont will surely stand to him and the support that hes going to receive will make it a v tall order for anybody to overtake him, even a player as liked as Fleetwood.

Cant wait for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I was on the 18th grandstand when Shane was finishing out. What a reception. Don't mind ole ole ole my self, I heard c'mon Offaly a lot too.

As regards the 18th grandstand on Sunday, I heard it's ticket only.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

corkboy38 wrote: »
    What we thinking for Lowry today? I'm thinking a -2 possibly even -1 round will keep him top going into tomorrow. There's not a whole pile of low rounds so far today.

I haven't a ****ing clue.

What an outstanding round of golf.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shane has been on this position before and that experience is invaluable.

The conditions are going to suit him, in that they will be a good leveller....

I've faith in the faithful.... Mup clara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Its even more cringey when laura davis thinks shane lowrey is british,god bless their education system

You mean Laura Davies and Shane Lowry, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Followed Lowry for the whole round today, crowds were huge, what a performance. Level par tomorrow and he wins imo.

Only negative was the ole ole chanting. Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I can't see the butcher boy holding his nerve tomorrow.
    He buckled in 2016.
    Tomorrow's weather could be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

I can't see the butcher boy holding his nerve tomorrow.
    He buckled in 2016.
    Tomorrow's weather could be a challenge.

Hope the bartender has cut you off

He’s the most likeable/relatable athlete in Ireland and under the gun today produced one of the great Open rounds of all time. No idea why anyone would want to knock him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Hope the bartender has cut you off

He’s the most likeable/relatable athlete in Ireland and under the gun today produced one of the great Open rounds of all time. No idea why anyone would want to knock him.

Because typical Irish begrudgery is why.. there’s no other logical reason after the way he played today. Sad people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Shane all the way tomorrow. Nice and relaxed and has his daughter since oakmont which gives a guy a different perspective. Play his game and he wins. Weather won't throw him off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Level par round today and he's an open champion!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Level par round today and he's an open champion!

Fleetwood rounds this week

68 67 66 ?

If he keeps that sequence going, level wouldn't be enough, but the weather ?

Praying for Shane. Needs to negotiate the first safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

GreeBo wrote: »
    harbour bar is good but rammed... kiwi bar on main street is great, live music downstairs and great food. We sat beside snedeker and horschel on Tuesday night in there, 5 mins from the course

Thanks the tip. Managed to get into the harbour bar as we were there from around 4:30pm and it wasn’t wedged at that stage. We ate in Ramore as there was a 2 and a half hour wait for a table. Mark Leishman was sat two tables away. He seemed like a gent the way he was chatting to the kid at the table next to him.

For today on the course aside from the mound at 6 does anyone know of any other good view points? Going to try to follow Shane as much as we can but I appreciate that won’t always be possible.

Also is there any hope of getting an autograph off a player after their round somewhere or are the practice days the only chance of doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Roll on tee time. Up doing daddy duties with the little one so I can have free time later for golf.

Oh & begrudges if you are up this early and reading this just let it go. Lowry is a legend no matter the outcome.

Everyone is naturally worried that the pressure, the crowd, the focus might get to him.

The only thing is...he faced it down yesterday. It won’t be the same as the final round, but the noise and excitement and intensity over the final few holes yesterday has to be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Redo91 wrote: »
    Thanks the tip. Managed to get into the harbour bar as we were there from around 4:30pm and it wasn’t wedged at that stage. We ate in Ramore as there was a 2 and a half hour wait for a table. Mark Leishman was sat two tables away. He seemed like a gent the way he was chatting to the kid at the table next to him.

For today on the course aside from the mound at 6 does anyone know of any other good view points? Going to try to follow Shane as much as we can but I appreciate that won’t always be possible.

Also is there any hope of getting an autograph off a player after their round somewhere or are the practice days the only chance of doing that?

There are lots of stands which give a great view. The one behind the 16th is great. The one at the 17th is good as you can also see the 13th. The 18th is also good. All of these are free but will obviously be full when the leaders get close.

You’ll have a job following Shane as the crowd will be 10 or 20 deep at times. However you’ll get the real buzz of the place if you follow him.

Check the 18th stand when you arrive to see if it is ticket only today. If so then that’s a bummer as it’s a great place to sit.

Everyone is naturally worried that the pressure, the crowd, the focus might get to him.

The only thing is...he faced it down yesterday. It won’t be the same as the final round, but the noise and excitement and intensity over the final few holes yesterday has to be of some use.

He played well under pressure yesterday but obviously today will be another level. He seems to relish the noise from the home crowd (and they will be very vocal today and will do their best to help).

If he can hit fairways then he should win as his short game has been excellent. However Fleetwood is also playing really well and I expect he’ll put Shane under a lot of pressure.

I was on the 18th grandstand when Shane was finishing out. What a reception. Don't mind ole ole ole my self, I heard c'mon Offaly a lot too.

As regards the 18th grandstand on Sunday, I heard it's ticket only.

You might be right about the 18th. I did see a sign for ticket only on Sunday but maybe that is just a section of the stand. That would be a pity but then again it would be hard to get into it especially 2 hours before the leaders arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Roll on tee time. Up doing daddy duties with the little one so I can have free time later for golf.

Oh & begrudges if you are up this early and reading this just let it go. Lowry is a legend no matter the outcome.

Same. Taking the slack for two children, including night feeds for a 4 week old so I can get a free pass for the golf and have a scotch or three 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Really hope he goes on and win this now and that he has learnt from the US open defeat in 16. Seems like a decent genuine guy and if he adds a solid round to his spectular one from yesterday than no doubt he will.

techdiver wrote: »
    Lads! Do the names on the tickets matter? Is id requested on entrance?

No they don’t check your name on the tickets.

No shurrender

All I heard was something like “Come on Shane” midway through his prep for the putt. I really doubt that anyone shouted No Surrender as the crowd would have reacted in a very negative way. Did anyone actually hear No Surrender and if not why would anyone start the rumour?

Note that all of the Irish players got a huge reception from the crowd......all of the crowd. Today there will be huge support for Shane including from all of the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

stockdam wrote: »
    All I heard was something like “Come on Shane” midway through his prep for the putt. I really doubt that anyone shouted No Surrender as the crowd would have reacted in a very negative way. Did anyone actually hear No Surrender and if not why would anyone start the rumour?

Note that all of the Irish players got a huge reception from the crowd......all of the crowd. Today there will be huge support for Shane including from all of the locals.

He didn't get a great reception from all of the crowd. Some of the locals were absolutely sick. Plenty of comments being made in the crowd.

Shane did say "spa" though after that idiot shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Woke up an hour ago. Nervous.

It’s going to be a long day.

Hoboo wrote: »
    He didn't get a great reception from all of the crowd. Some of the locals were absolutely sick. Plenty of comments being made in the crowd.

What were they sick about? A southerner leading. What sort of comments were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭droidman123

fullstop wrote: »
    You mean Laura Davies and Shane Lowry, yeah?

Correct,but you already knew that

They can get quite disturbed about flags up there and Shane has the tricolour on his shoes and wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    20mph winds are nothing in fairness. The worse the weather is, the better it is for Lowry. I’d want a absolute ****storm.

No way - flat calm would be best, if it’s blowing a storm more chance of a ****e score. Flat calm he shoots -2 and Fleetwood needs -6.

A lot riskier in bad weather for Shane and better chance for the chasing pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hoboo wrote: »

Can you back this up? If not, jog on. I’ve heard nothing but support for him over the 3 days.

Advertisement