Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling the Danube

• 21-07-2019 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, has anyone cycled the Danube to finish in Vienna? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first, unhelpful thought, is 'don't, you'll sink'.

hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marble City Cyclers

Hi. Sorry cant post a link but check out wildirelandtour.ie

One of our clubmembers cycled the Danube last year and wrote a blog on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi. Sorry cant post a link but check out https://wildirelandtour.ie

One of our clubmembers cycled the Danube last year and wrote a blog on it.

Just read a page on that 'A Wonderful Wife'. Great writing and what a journey.
    I posted a link for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

I cycled it a few years ago and it was glorious.

Went with a cycle tour company, so did not use my own road bike, but a clunky rental. still very enjoyable.

Started in Passau and went all the way down to Vienna. Accommodation was all taken care of via the tour company. We had 5 days to get to vienna, but it would be easily done in less if you went on your own and sourced accommodation yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

I did a good stretch of the Danube a few years ago from Ulm to Budapest.

The weather was awful. It seems to be a common occurrence in that part of the world in early June. We were lucky the river didn't flood as it had other years at that time of the year.

The section from Passau to Vienna is beautiful. The rest is nice but fairly monotonous. It's just 100s of km cycling beside a river. Vienna to Bratislava is possibly the most boring afternoon of cycling I've ever done. Some of the towns it goes through in Germany are quite nice.

The cycling is obviously very flat and well sign-posted so it's well suited for someone first cycle tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I did it a few years ago, Regensburg to Vienna. It was definitely enjoyable, with cafes along the river. We had super weather, and stopped to swim in the river at one point in our gear, it was so hot. We sorted out accommodation ourselves in advance, prior to the trip. Some of the towns were lovely. We had a great night in Passau, as it was the night Germany won the world cup. While they seemed generally pleased with the outcome, I was surprised to see they didn't go mental on the streets like the night we beat Italy in the Giant's Stadium.

My only comments are:

1. Most of the bike hire companies we found (the companies that were happy to collect in Vienna) rented out horrible city bike type things with baskets on the front. They were grand for the route, but not the most comfortable, and let's just say they weren't consistent with the Rapha gear look. Like most rental companies, they completely ignored the sizing we emailed in advance, and we spent over 2 hours at the depot fek-ars*ng about with bikes. One of us had to turn around after 5 km and go back to get a different size.

2. While it was undeniably pretty, I must admit I was slightly bored with it after a few days. There were long sections (hours at a time) where the route sat on top of a bare levee alongside the river. I longed for a bend, or a climb, or anything.

3. Some of the towns and cities were really nice, and it might be worth spending a few hours there. Linz comes to mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gwakamoley wrote: »
    I did a good stretch of the Danube a few years ago from Ulm to Budapest.

I did something similar a couple of years ago. Great day and great cycle. Met a fair few cyclists going in both directions.

Stopped in a cafe where some Chinese big wig arrived in. AThat was fascinating. Probably more fire power in that cafe that day then the whole of AGS. The Chinese vice present apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

The nuclear power station story is interesting too. The route passes right next to a large nuclear power plant in Austria, that was built in the 70s. It's the only nuclear plant in the country. It was all built, ready to go, and then a referendum was held, which prevented nuclear power generation in the country. So the plant has been rotting away ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Have you ever done sardinia/ class for cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

We flew to vienna , train to villach. Then we cycled over the julian alps to lake bled, then lubjana.

5 days later we flew out of Venice.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Larkinf wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone cycled the Danube to finish in Vienna? Any tips?

I did Ulm to Passau along the Danube in 2015. Loved it. Really well signposted, loads of local beerhalls along the way. Ingolstadt and Regensburg were two cities I remember being beautiful. Tip: try to stay in the Canoe Clubs along the way (if you're camping). They're cheap, friendly, have lovely spots along the river, generally have a fire pit and beer vending machines. Also well worth checking out the Shlosses and castles along the river - generally overlooking it from high vantage points. Walhalla was one that blew my mind - https://goo.gl/maps/oyizFx7YvkSQySpQ9

Advertisement