Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jason Quigley

• 19-07-2019 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Just watched the fight, Jason was never in this fight, he hasn’t been the same since he got back from the hand injury. What puzzles me was Jason’s strategy he just slugged it out with Johnson albeit Johnson never backed off for a second.

Hard to see Quigley being any more than a journeyman now In this division.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

greeno wrote: »
    Just watched the fight, Jason was never in this fight, he hasn’t been the same since he got back from the hand injury. What puzzles me was Jason’s strategy he just slugged it out with Johnson albeit Johnson never backed off for a second.

Hard to see Quigley being any more than a journeyman now In this division.

Watched it myself. Gave him the first round, missed the second, gave the rest to Johnson. Got well bet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

move to Ingle hasnt really helped him at all it seems,

would do well to rebuild properly now after this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

He did seem to plateau a little but didn't expect him at all to lose this. Noticed a lot of late money for Johnson alright but it is some shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ElBastardo1

I wonder did he go Pro too soon? Maybe another few years in the Amateur ranks could have benefited him.

While he has gone about it better that John Joe Nevin , the two of them have disappointed me so far. Hope Joe ward can do better.

on the other hand, Those two Monaghan brothers have hit the ground running, the Mckenna's. Knocking out grown men to beat the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

The hand injury combined with the move to the Ingle gym seems to have been his downfall. His style of boxing has changed completely he’s never been the same since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Quigley got a bad combination of clear stamina problems and zero inside game. Once he tires after a few rounds and can't keep his opponent off him he's bang in trouble. Ingle not the guy to improve his inside game either.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Jason is a nice guy it he just does not hit hard enough
    In one of his last amateur fights against conrad Cummins
    I thought he lost amd it was the same story as this fight
    He couldn't keep Cummins off him.
    But he is a good mover and I can't understand why he fought Johnson like he did, why fight the other guys fight, but again if he can't hurt the guy then they are going to keep coming.
    When he left America I knew that was a bad sign

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

section4 wrote: »
    Jason is a nice guy it he just does not hit hard enough
    In one of his last amateur fights against conrad Cummins
    I thought he lost amd it was the same story as this fight
    He couldn't keep Cummins off him.
    But he is a good mover and I can't understand why he fought Johnson like he did, why fight the other guys fight, but again if he can't hurt the guy then they are going to keep coming.
    When he left America I knew that was a bad sign

He left America for mental health reasons and I can’t fault any man for looking after their psychological self before any sport. Being based in Sheffield definitely hampers him with regards big fights and I’m not sure the Ingle gym is the place for him. At one point in the fight you could hear Dominic telling him to keep doing what he was doing which was madness he needed more movement. Can’t fault the mans heart though. Lesser men would of fallen sooner. I think a change in trainer and promoter is needed but in the division he’s in nothing is going to happen fast for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Tureano is very durable and experienced. A major step up from the likes of Glen Tapia or Freddy Hernandez. Given how much of a struggle those guys were for Quigley he was always going to be in trouble here.

Despite being 28 he's really not very mature as a pro. Too easy to out-muscle and not able to keep the fight on his terms. Andy Lee was similar in some ways. But Lee had some semblance of an inside game and always had the hope that his right hook would bail him out. Quigley has neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Good interview with him on Off The Ball, some good discussion with him and Andy Lee.

comes accross very humble, hope he can bounce back from the loss

• Advertisement

gwalk wrote: »
    Good interview with him on Off The Ball, some good discussion with him and Andy Lee.

comes accross very humble, hope he can bounce back from the loss

He certainly did. He wasn't too Happy with Mathew Macklin, did anyone see what one of Jasons friends replied back to Macklin on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He certainly did. He wasn't too Happy with Mathew Macklin, did anyone see what one of Jasons friends replied back to Macklin on Twitter?

What's the issue with Macklin?

What's the issue with Macklin?

He put up a tweet saying "Jason Quigley's career is an example of everything you should not do in your career, said his management has been shocking, complained he is based on the west coast, and his nickname of El Animal.

One of Jasons mates replied to him and said "He punched the head off you in sparring and he refused to take the Kinahan drug money by signing with MTK".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

While this is a bad loss he can redeem himself as Andy Lee says there in the interview. Granted the interview was done while he was still raw but the difference between Andy's loss to Vera is that he wasnt beaten up all over the ring though. Still his interview was almost Joshua like in that he didnt seem to realise the gravity of this loss.

If he moved from the U.S. for mental health issues fair enough but I always question fighters who go there for a year or two and come home. That is where the most experience is, the best fighters are and the best conditions overall to make it big in this game. Coming from Stranorlar to Los Angeles is an enormous move of course but this game is all about superior mental strength too.

I admire his bravery taking this fight as Tureano was a very very experienced pro who saw the weaknesses early but sad to see this fight was over very early though. Watching it quite shocked he was gassed after three.

His next move will be very interesting. Wish him the best on his road back.

Advertisement