Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2019, 12:35   #1
TheBoyConor

Using audio cassette tapes as a file storage media

I remember the days when my friend had a Commodore 64 that had a tape deck type device that served as the main external storage. Games and other apps came on compact cassette tapes and had to be ran through to load the data to the memory.

This is an interesting experiment I came across recently which I'd like to try out at home on my retro style build.....
https://www.instructables.com/id/Sto...udio-cassette/

I have already encoded a few image and pdf files to the audio wav filetype. I have a tape recorder at home that I can rig up to see can I write and then read and decode the data to recreate the original file.

I love this. Real low level computing, handling the raw data. Really cool.
Has anyone every experimented with similar?
Advertisement
06-07-2019, 00:40   #2
Metric Tensor

Haven't done anything like this myself but interested to read about it!
06-07-2019, 00:59   #3
Lemming

Send a message via MSN to Lemming Send a message via Yahoo to Lemming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyConor View Post
I remember the days when my friend had a Commodore 64 that had a tape deck type device that served as the main external storage. Games and other apps came on compact cassette tapes and had to be ran through to load the data to the memory.
Selective memory is selective. I too remember the days of the C64 given that i still own one; there is a reason (or several) why tape was abandoned as a storage medium, not least because tapes are exceedingly susceptible to magnetic damage and diabolically slow to load.

As a "because I can" experiment, that article was a curious read, but that's about it given I had my fill of cassette data loading from the 1980s and early 1990s
06-07-2019, 01:21   #4
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
... I had my fill of cassette data loading from the 1980s and early 1990s
Same here. Used a VHS at one point for data.
Thanks from:
06-07-2019, 01:31   #5
Hurrache

Yeah, may seem cool from a retro point of view but anyone having lived through that period would look upon it with anger.

Many a brother/sister received dead arms and legs for having the temerity for even breathing in the vicinity of a particularly dodgy tape which decided to stop loading after 20 minutes as they inevitably got the blame for it.
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 10:32   #6
ED E

Get some LTO8 tapes, same magnetic recording - much faster I/O.
31-07-2019, 09:13   #7
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
Yeah, may seem cool from a retro point of view but anyone having lived through that period would look upon it with anger.

Many a brother/sister received dead arms and legs for having the temerity for even breathing in the vicinity of a particularly dodgy tape which decided to stop loading after 20 minutes as they inevitably got the blame for it.
Yep, ZX81 and Spectrum for me. Getting my first computer with a decent floppy drive was a monumental step forward, loading from cassettes was a hateful experience and not one to be repeated.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion