Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It: Chapter Two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Iv actually heard the kids are hugely involved in this, No idea how but I heard they wanted to use them to keep the atmosphere form the first chapter,

I don't know how that's going to work. Unless the film is saturated in flashbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What a cast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mr E wrote: »
    Full Trailer. :)

Although it has nearly fuck all to do with the original novel, that looks pretty good as a film in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Cannot wait to see this, looks like a lot more horror compared to the comedy in the first one. Agree with the poster above, the cast look great!! Roll on September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

On my must-see list

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What better place to be watching an IT double bill, than Derry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll have to avoid it, because I found out it has strobe lighting.

branie2 wrote: »
    I'll have to avoid it, because I found out it has strobe lighting.

It does, just for a short spell near the end but I did find it annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Just back from seeing chapter two. Slightly disappointed. Everything seemed over the top cgi and you could see the scares coming a mile off. Dragged out in some parts while others are all over the place. Probably give it a 6/10.

• Advertisement

Agreed, although I'd rate it a little higher. Definitely not as good as the first but still enjoyable.

I thought the cgi was fine except for
    the leper. Looked ropey in the first one too

Nowhere near as bad as the ending in the old Tim Curry version, but I was disappointed with the ending again.

Basically
    all you need to defeat a world destroying evil entity that has terrorised your town for centuries, is some harsh language?

Still a good film but a wee bit underwhelmed. I'll watch it again when it's out on bluray/UHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

I loved the first one and I'm looking forward to this. It might have problems/not be as good as the first but I saw the Irish Times (IT eh?) gave a 1 star review :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Shred wrote: »
    I loved the first one and I'm looking forward to this. It might have problems/not be as good as the first but I saw the Irish Times (IT eh?) gave a 1 star review :rolleyes:

Id have to agree with the Irish times on this one. I found myself getting very bored. Not even remotely scary, and the scares themselves were telegraphed. But most of all you just dont care about the characters. It definitely drags on way too long. Overall I wouldnt even bother wasting money on this, wait til its on netflix or sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Duff wrote: »
    Just back from seeing chapter two. Slightly disappointed. Everything seemed over the top cgi and you could see the scares coming a mile off. Dragged out in some parts while others are all over the place. Probably give it a 6/10.

This review could easily be of the first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'm finding it hard to pin down what I actually thought of this to be honest. I did enjoy it overall but for me it felt like there was something missing. I don't think it had the spark of the first movie. Whether that was down to the characters being older or what I don't know. I enjoyed the humour a lot but I'm wondering was there too much? I was expecting the stakes to be high with a lot of tension and scares but it kept jumping from being serious to quips and one liners which took away all sense of jeopardy for me. Wasn't really a horror movie IMO.

There were a couple of pointless bits in it which added nothing to the story and the ending was very flat and underwhelming.

Reading back what I just wrote it sounds like I hated it but I really didn't. I was sitting in the cinema for 6 hours or so and the time just zipped by. I'll have to watch it again I think

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

The first film was very enjoyable, and Chapter 2 is well cast with some very funny moments, its plot is very messy and far too overlong. I can’t believe they thought a nearly 3 hour runtime was suitable for this movie. By the time of the bloated finale, I couldn’t wait for it to end. It is a shame, a definite drop in quality from the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

RickBlaine wrote: »
    The first film was very enjoyable, and Chapter 2 is well cast with some very funny moments, its plot is very messy and far too overlong. I can’t believe they thought a nearly 3 hour runtime was suitable for this movie. By the time of the bloated finale, I couldn’t wait for it to end. It is a shame, a definite drop in quality from the first one.
    In fairness, the book is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

El Duda wrote: »
    This review could easily be of the first film.

Possibly. I was a lot more invested in the first film, anyway.

The only real disappointment was the ending. My first thought was a line from Aliens...
    When the marines are told that they can't fire their weapons, Frost replies "what are we supposed to use, harsh language"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

santana75 wrote: »
    Id have to agree with the Irish times on this one. I found myself getting very bored. Not even remotely scary, and the scares themselves were telegraphed. But most of all you just dont care about the characters. It definitely drags on way too long. Overall I wouldnt even bother wasting money on this, wait til its on netflix or sky.

I haven't seen it yet but that was how I felt about the first one. Looking at the thread, I thought the first trailer of this one looked exciting but wasn't too pushed on the second trailer.

The mini series is dated now but you did care about the characters and with Pennywise it was more of a build up psychologically than flashy jump out at you scary. I'll still watch it though when I get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

santana75 wrote: »

That's fair enough. I just find the IT to be, at this stage predictably, more than a tad dismissive (snooty tbh) of a lot of modern popular culture movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The scares do lose their effect after the first film but I found the film ultimately enjoyable without reaching the heights of the first. It's actually quite long as well; the ads started at 1.40 and it was 4.40ish when I got out. It lags quite a bit in the middle which made me think the miniseries format is still best to tell this story.

I found Richie to be the most interesting thing in the film; didn't expect it to go where it did. Would have loved to see it explored further.

Chastain was ok; the younger actress still owns the role for me. Ziggy from the Wire was another highlight as Eddie and McAvoy was solid as always.

Skarsgard was good again without having the impact first time around. Hope to see more of him nonetheless.

I thought they nailed the young vs new actors visually.

Young and old Eddie were incredibly similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is outrageously ****e. Like, I'm slightly dumfounded how ****e it is. I'd only seen some mixed reviews rather than the outright bad ones, so the scale of this cluster**** genuinely caught me off guard.

Part one was nothing special, but it was an inoffensively competent afternoon at the cinema. This drives over the cliff in comparison. Almost everything about it is embarrassingly misjudged.

It's five hours too long, to start, even though it's actually only 169 minutes long. The editing is all over the place, and there are numerous false starts before we get anywhere near the meat of the main narrative. They don't have anything interesting for Pennywise to do, so they stick in a bunch of random kill scenes that add nothing of value. The middle act is truly insufferably over-egged as we watch every main character individually confront some tedious past (or, in an example of the film's often confusing & inconsistent world-rules, present) trauma at great length. And then the big, CG-filled finale goes on for what feels like an hour. I love long films, but they need to earn it. This, a dumb film about a clown monster, has more endings than Lord of the Rings (the camera literally tilts to the sky and shows some on-screen text at one point... then goes on for another 5-10 ****ing minutes). The less said about the appalling asylum escape subplot the better - z-grade schlock with one of the worst performances I've seen in a very, very long time.

The writing is dreadful - some inherited from the source material, surely, but the dialogue is shameful too. All the characters still act like they're 14, even though they're middle aged. That's a deeper problem with the film though. Whereas the concept of kids facing off against a scary clown is a fun one, make adults do the same and it swiftly turns preposterous. Well, at least in this case it does. Not that the kids fare much better, getting a bunch of scenes that feel like deleted ones from the first film. Its ultimate trips towards mumbo-jumbo - I feel sorry for the actors having to say Ritual of Chüd with a straight face - and
    bad science fiction
    explanations do not even remotely work.

In terms of filmmaking it's incompetent as well. There are few interesting visual ideas, and at times feels oddly amateurish (the colour-grading shifts between several scenes felt very off to me). There's no sense of atmosphere or place. Prime example is the guesthouse / hotel that hosts much of the film's group gatherings: it simply does not feel like a remotely credible location. It's just always completely deserted, ready to host whatever shouting match or horrific experience the Losers Club are involved in at any given moment. The town of Derry is a glorified studio backlot here.

Anything to write home about? Some of the more grotesque monster designs are memorable although never actually frightening. Some of the actors like Bill Hader give it their best shot but are fatally stymied by the hopeless script. That's about it.

It's striking to have seen it in close proximity to Ready or Not. That film won't go down as a classic, but it is a sharply-designed thrill ride that accomplishes with it sets out to do with merit. It knows its lane and sticks with it to very pleasant effect. It Chapter Two, in contrast, not only refuses to stay in its lane, it decides to veer wildly across multiple lanes only to wind up broken and immediately forgotten in a goddamn ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So you enjoyed it then ����

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Get off the fence Johnny, tell us what you really think!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Saw it yesterday and unfortunately it really is as bad as the Irish Times review. At least an hour too long to boot. The teens in front of me got so bored at one stage they went out to get McDonald's.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday and unfortunately it really is as bad as the Irish Times review. At least an hour too long to boot. The teens in front of me got so bored at one stage they went out to get McDonald's.

Hmmmm....I had a look at the article. The cast is the only saving grace really so I feel the review is harsh. Seems like a very rushed dismissal evident by her getting the year wrong that the first film was released.

I thought Kermode's review, someone who is passionate about the genre, is more than fair and worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hmmmm....I had a look at the article. The cast is the only saving grace really so I feel the review is harsh. Seems like a very rushed dismissal evident by her getting the year wrong that the first film was released.

I thought Kermode's review, someone who is passionate about the genre, is more than fair and worth a listen.

One small factual error doesn't invalidate the rest of her review. It's a terrible film. And it's a pity because the first part laid such a strong foundation for it.

• Advertisement

It was certainly quite taxing at times. Really think the miniseries format is best for the story.

Advertisement