Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

They can confiscate it all they like once they find me. Its no biggie. Id just rather drink my own until they catch me and when they do its not the end of the world if they take the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is that closed if im flying at 5am?

My main tips that I find handy are always printing your boarding pass even if you have it on yer phones. What if both of your phones break or are lost etc.

Always have a plastic folder thats only for your boarding passes and hotel details and passports. One person keeps the folder and returns the stuff after taking them out.

The boots meal deal is great if wanting to keep some money for the holiday.

Me and my partner always bring our own alcohol from duty free and pour it in on the sly. I know its illegal but Ryanair piss me off and we've never been caught. Oh were allowed to bring our own coca cola and jellies and crisps but not some vodka? Just because you wanna overcharge us at €6 for a 250ml mini can of heineken?

No thanks! And its not being stingey its finding Ryanair tight fisted and just mean.

Good call on both points. The doc folder / wallet and the sneaky drink. The price of alcohol in airport bars and on aircraft is madness. I wonder if it’s done to actually keep the number of drunk people down. If witnessed first hand the combination of nervous flyer and or arseholes who with drink on them can be a fûckin nightmare for everyone but for a lot of decent well behaved folks it’s a nice way to end or begin a trip a couple of responsible drinks. As usual, the arseholes fûck it up for the majority.

Strumms wrote: »
    Good call on both points. The doc folder / wallet and the sneaky drink. The price of alcohol in airport bars and on aircraft is madness. I wonder if it’s done to actually keep the number of drunk people down. If witnessed first hand the combination of nervous flyer and or arseholes who with drink on them can be a fûckin nightmare for everyone but for a lot of decent well behaved folks it’s a nice way to end or begin a trip a couple of responsible drinks. As usual, the arseholes fûck it up for the majority.

Absolutely. We like to have a couple of vodka and cokes on the way home on the plane. Theres no way im paying €6 for a half measure of vodka and a mini coke for €4!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Absolutely. We like to have a couple of vodka and cokes on the way home on the plane. Theres no way im paying €6 for a half measure of vodka and a mini coke for €4!

In fairness to Ryanair on this, they're mini bottles are 50ml for €6, which is 2 UK measures or about 1.5 Irish measures, so they're cheaper than any airport bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In fairness to Ryanair on this, they're mini bottles are 50ml for €6, which is 2 UK measures or about 1.5 Irish measures, so they're cheaper than any airport bar!

I have to agree, and it's only 2.50 for a pepsi (250ml), (not €4) realistically it works out at slightly cheaper than an Irish bar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Needed to add a 10kg checked bag for a friend who had already taken the outward leg of a ryanair trip.

Drove myself demented on the ryanair website trying to do it, where I was only getting an option for a bigger more expensive bag.

Finally found the option to add a 10kg bag for 12 euro on the ryanair app instead.

spurious wrote: »
    Needed to add a 10kg checked bag for a friend who had already taken the outward leg of a ryanair trip.

Drove myself demented on the ryanair website trying to do it, where I was only getting an option for a bigger more expensive bag.

Finally found the option to add a 10kg bag for 12 euro on the ryanair app instead.

Had the same problem before. They make me laugh! Tricking people into thinking you cant add the 10kg bag later on and must choose the more expensive one..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Spurious, how did you do this? I have flights booked and bought the priority 10kg plus another small bag but I'm now thinking a checked in 10kg would be better. I can't find anything online or on the app to let me do this except for adding a 20kg bag for €40 each way (more than two flights 😥).
    Maybe because I've already got the priority it won't let me but it would be great if I could. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Spurious, how did you do this? I have flights booked and bought the priority 10kg plus another small bag but I'm now thinking a checked in 10kg would be better. I can't find anything online or on the app to let me do this except for adding a 20kg bag for €40 each way (more than two flights ��).
    Maybe because I've already got the priority it won't let me but it would be great if I could. Thanks.

If it's a flight where many people are bringing checked luggage, like maybe families on holiday, it may not still be available. I am going to Malaga myself soon and couldn't do it, but if there is space, it was an option on the app. The flight I did it for was Riga-Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

If it's a flight where many people are bringing checked luggage, like maybe families on holiday, it may not still be available. I am going to Malaga myself soon and couldn't do it, but if there is space, it was an option on the app. The flight I did it for was Riga-Dublin.

Thank you. I'm not flying for another two months but it's probably quite popular so I'd say I can't add any more unless I go for 20kg.

• Advertisement

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm not flying for another two months but it's probably quite popular so I'd say I can't add any more unless I go for 20kg.

Please try it on a different device. (if with ryanair) or browser.

On my phone app it would never show up but when i went on the website it did. They hide it from us sure :v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

whats considered a small bag by ryanair ?

would a school bag with few tablets and other few bits cause any issues prob no more then 5kgs, as above booked late and because of many having carry on luggage only option was left to bring smth along, not sure do they have any dimensions - as seen smth mentioned has to fit under seat.

since dont want to put any tech into check in, in case it would break or get damaged etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

If it fits under the seat it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone know how security works when getting a connecting flight to Canada? I'm travelling from Dublin to London for a connecting flight. Do I go through any extra security in Dublin or is that done in London? Just wondering how much time I have to work with in both airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Firstly which airlines are involved. What terminals in Heathrow are involved?

Going from Dublin to London will be the same as always. At Heathrow you will go through a secondary security check transferring between terminals. This is not extra security, standard for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

ditto for Heathrow, you'll have to go through security again there. It's a pain, especially if you're rushing for a connecting flight. In my experience you need more than 2 hours to connect through Heathrow comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Firstly which airlines are involved. What terminals in Heathrow are involved?

Going from Dublin to London will be the same as always. At Heathrow you will go through a secondary security check transferring between terminals. This is not extra security, standard for all.

I'm flying with Aer Lingus then Air Canada, but arrive and depart from Terminal 2 in Heathrow.
    Gatica wrote: »
    ditto for Heathrow, you'll have to go through security again there. It's a pain, especially if you're rushing for a connecting flight. In my experience you need more than 2 hours to connect through Heathrow comfortably.

Is that if you're switching terminals or does the same go if you arrive and depart from the same terminal?

Yes, you will still go back via security even if it is the same terminal.

I often do T5-T5 transfers and these always involve a trip via security.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm flying with Aer Lingus then Air Canada, but arrive and depart from Terminal 2 in Heathrow.

Is that if you're switching terminals or does the same go if you arrive and depart from the same terminal?

Both airlines are T2 so not too bad. Think the minimum recommended connection time is 1 hour. I did it with a 1.05 connection last year, and made it even though we arrived 30 minutes late from Cork. You'll have to head to Connections which is all the way at the end of the terminal and go through passport control and a security screen there before making your way back to your new gate. Not busy in my limited experience though at passport and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I think it depends if you get lucky as it's a very busy airport. I've connected 4-5 times through Heathrow in last few years and every time the landing flight was close to 1 hour delayed waiting on the tarmac, then we'd to rush through security to try to catch the next flight. I looked at my previously bookings and even with same airline and terminal, seems we still had to go through security. On one connection they didn't even let us through the boarding pass check (the machine declined our boarding passes), and made us queue up, turns out it's because they're automated system "predicted" we wouldn't catch our connecting flight (although we thought we could probably make it with 45-50 mins to go) and we were automatically moved to the next flight, so we'd to get new boarding passes etc... That's why I wouldn't leave anything less than 1.5 hrs or better 2 hrs between flights through Heathrow.

We now travel with a toddler and I found them great with children, but I now allow myself at least 3 hours to get through security with the added delay of a small child. It's just not worth the stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Anyone know what time security opens at in T1? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Travelling to Mian-Bergamo airport this fri morning at 6.15 am. Coming from Galway so taking bus.Bus am taking will be at Dublin at 4.45.Presume this is fine - arriving at departures hour and a half before departure. Wondering these days for early flights how long it takes roughly to get through security? If got the earlier bus would meant being in departures well over 2 hours before departure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭dennyk

Arriving at the bus drop 1.5 hours early should be fine; I've never waited at T1 security for more than 20 minutes or so no matter what time of day I get there. However, I have no idea how reliable that bus is; if you have any concerns about that, you might want to take the earlier one just in case it doesn't show or is running really late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Was half an hour last Friday morning and not fun. That's tighter than I'd like, you're hitting the busiest time of day in the airport. Try the bargain requests forum for some fast track security codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Snapgal wrote: »
    Travelling to Mian-Bergamo airport this fri morning at 6.15 am. Coming from Galway so taking bus.Bus am taking will be at Dublin at 4.45.Presume this is fine - arriving at departures hour and a half before departure. Wondering these days for early flights how long it takes roughly to get through security? If got the earlier bus would meant being in departures well over 2 hours before departure
    I’ll pm you a fast track code

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes at security, whether it's a 6am European flight or a noon transatlantic flight. All Terminal 2, one transatlantic from T1, same wait time.

If you arrive 90 minutes in advance, worst case scenario you take 30 minutes then you have an hour until the flight, so 30-40 minutes before boarding. They're very good at opening extra security lines when the queue starts to get long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Thanks for replies guys.Should be fine as checked in online already. Getting the Eireagle bus from Galway. My parents are coming with me and have travel passes.Gobus don't accept travel passes on Galway- Dublin Airport route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Will be in T1 at 6am, is it wort while getting fasttrack, normally travel outside peak time so unsure about how busy it will be,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Will be in T1 at 6am, is it wort while getting fasttrack, normally travel outside peak time so unsure about how busy it will be,

Advertisement