Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BA Cancel all flights to Cairo for the next week

• 20-07-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49059700
    British Airways has cancelled all flights to the Egyptian capital Cairo for a week as a security "precaution".

Passengers about to board a BA flight to the city from London's Heathrow Airport were told that it was cancelled - and that there would be no alternative flights for a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

What I find very odd is that people are reporting on Twitter that BA are checking them in with other operators to continue their journey.

If there were some sort of security precaution, I'm sure this wouldn't be the case. Or perhaps it has something to do with BA themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I did visit Egypt back in the day and did all the things we were allowed to do. Some with outriders fully armed in convoy too.

Glad to have done it, but would never set foot in that place ever again. But each to their own.

Fail to see why going to a sea resort there is any different to the costas or equivalent, but there we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

FLIGHT IN EGYPT AIRSPACE, CAIRO FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (FIR HECC), SINAI PENINSULA.
    THE IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY HAS BEEN DIRECTED BY THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT, TOURISM AND SPORT UNDER SECTION 7 (1) (B) OF THE IRISH AVIATION ACT 1993, TO ISSUE A DIRECTION TO IRISH AOC CARRIERS THAT IRISH AOC AIRCRAFT SHOULD NOT FLY BELOW 2600OFT IN EGYPT AIRSPACE, CAIRO FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (FIR HECC), SINAI PENINSULA.
    THE IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY, IN PURSUANCE OF ARTICLES 4,7 AND 25 OF THE IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY (OPERATIONS) ORDER (S.I. NO.61 OF 2006), (HEREINAFTER REFERRED TO AS THE ORDER), HEREBY DIRECTS THAT ALL IRISH AOC AIRCRAFT SHOULD NOT FLY BELOW 26000FT IN EGYPT'S AIRSPACE CAIRO FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (FIR HECC), SINAI PENINSULA. FROM: 01 MAY 2019 15:55 TO: 01 AUG 2019 17:00 EST

Irish operators have been barred from Egypt’s lower airspace for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

faoiarvok wrote: »

That NOTAM only covers part of the Sinai Peninsula, not the whole of Egypt.
    The UK issued NOTAM is clearer on the area boundaries:

Hazardous Situation in Egypt Potential risk to aviation overflying Egyptian airspace in Northern Sinai Governate within the area bounded by 311400N 0322200E - 294000N 0324000E - 293000N 0345400E - 312000N 0341200E - 311400N 0322200E (Cairo FIR, Sinai Peninsula) at less than 25,000 ft above ground level (agl) from dedicated anti-aviation weaponry. Operators are strongly advised to avoid operating at less than 25,000 ft agl in this airspace.

The US FAA NOTAM includes the following:

C. OPERATIONS. EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION DURING FLIGHT OPERATIONS DUE TO THE RISK FROM POTENTIAL EXTREMIST/MILITANT ATTACKS INVOLVING ANTI-AIRCRAFT WEAPONS, INCLUDING MAN-PORTABLE AIR DEFENSE SYSTEMS (MANPADS), ANTI-TANK MISSILES, SMALL-ARMS FIRE, AND INDIRECT FIRE FROM MORTARS AND ROCKETS TARGETING AIRCRAFT AND SINAI AIRPORTS. THOSE PERSONS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH A MUST REPORT SAFETY AND/OR SECURITY INCIDENTS TO THE FAA AT +1 202-267-3333 OR 1 202-267-3203. THE JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS ADVISORY WILL BE RE-EVALUATED BY 30 MARCH 2020.

Operators are not "barred" form the area either as you state, as the wording of the Irish NOTAM says "should not", therefore it is only a recommendation.

Obviously, BA have received some information from the security services of a potential threat. That's info isn't going to be publicly disclosed.

As some one else said above, I can't see why anyone would want to travel to Egypt anyway. Or any of north Africa from Morocco to Egypt for that matter.
    Been in every country along that coast and I've no intention of going back to any of those sh1tholes ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Brennus335 wrote: »
    That NOTAM only covers the southern part of the Sinai Peninsula, not the whole of Egypt.

Obviously, BA have received some information from the security services of a potential threat. That's info isn't going to be publicly disclosed.

As some one else said above, I can't see why anyone would want to travel to Egypt anyway. Or any of north Africa from Morocco to Egypt for that matter.
    Been in every country along that coast and I've no intention of going back to any of those sh1tholes ever again.

I did a big mistake by going there few years ago. I am Brazilian so very accustomed to see poverty as we were very poor. But Egypt is much worse, in Brazil it have a bit of everything, there instead have only ugly and poor areas. What happened is that I heard many europeans, politically correct people that are affraid to say things how they are, any country they says its "awesome" or "wonderful" but when you arrive there things are not as you heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

faoiarvok wrote: »

In practical terms, what happens if you have an engine failure_ Do you have to skirt the zone so you can lose altitude nearby , like going high mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Dardania, most airlines just don't fly over that area, they route over Cairo and turn right back into Lebanon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrojet_Flight_9268

This Irish registered aircraft was bombed after takeoff from Egypt by Islamic terrorists after the Russian Intervention in the Syrian Civil War. It was a particularly bleak moment in the war which saw the Russian Airforce and Navy ultimately defeat the Saudi, ISIS, CIA & Mossad coalition in Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

My abiding memory of Cairo was being chased by a taxi driver who'd just dropped me off at the airport because I hadn't given him a large enough tip.

I'm in no hurry to return.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Noxegon wrote: »
    My abiding memory of Cairo was being chased by a taxi driver who'd just dropped me off at the airport because I hadn't given him a large enough tip.

I'm in no hurry to return.

Was in Cairo for a day trip few years ago. When flying back to Sharm left via the domestic terminal. Never seen a more chaotic and filthy terminal in all my time. There was two locals standing in the nip in the bathroom having a bird wash by the sinks. It was a more hygienic option not to wash my hands before leaving the bathroom on this occasion. When it came to boarding no announcements and everyone seemed to leave via the one gate. Was delighted to see Cairo and the pyramids but been there done that would have zero desire to return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement