Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

cgcsb wrote: »
    But the main reason Catholics aren't joining is because of poor pay and conditions and their better educational attainment allows them to get twice or three times the wages in working in Dublin.

Who would want to join and stand powerlessly by and watch the selective policing at this time of year?

A long way to go has the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/irish-tricolour-is-hoisted-above-rural-orange-lodge-1-8997517

Talk about lads getting hysterical over nothing! A hate crime?! What planet do these people actually live in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Who would want to join and stand powerlessly by and watch the selective policing at this time of year?

A long way to go has the PSNI.

That too

It depends on the particular belief. Were Irish Catholics ever into biblical literalism or anti gay sentiment, I don't think so, but try to talk about low key funerals or cremations to 90% of Irish Catholics, lapsed into atheism or not you'll get your head snapped off

In my experience (a committed atheist) I would say that is a generalistion. Cremation is more or less accepted as an option now.

My point is that once the tide turns, or the shackles come off, the power of a church dissipates very quickly. The RC church has all but zero power socially here in a few short years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The RC church has all but zero power socially here in a few short years.

True, but that didn’t happen overnight and I think one of the main catalysts for that as well as a more educated and enlightened Ireland was the churches reaction and covering up of child sex abuse scandals... that really made ‘believers’ and ‘non believers’ sit up, take note and form a more astute opinion of the organization and the very premise of religion and it’s negative impact and influences on society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Great, the highlights are on BBC NI at 10:40.

What the various apologists/ PRO's that have popped up on Boards.ie today proclaiming 'fun family days out' don't want to acknowledge or address...not to mention their political masters or the PSNI.

https://scontent.fdub4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/64408313_2621801447853354_2827955013425299456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQm0SMqOYR99ipQBdHgGJ3oNFgPDe3Pu30DVglgPfP-vAN3BhRAqVjlZBz1FxeXx5-c&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=68c7e6b9012a0839c9add9774e9bc899&oe=5DC18EDA

Strumms wrote: »
    True, but that didn’t happen overnight and I think one of the main catalysts for that as well as a more educated and enlightened Ireland was the churches reaction and covering up of child sex abuse scandals... that really made ‘believers’ and ‘non believers’ sit up, take note and form a more astute opinion of the organization and the very premise of religion and it’s negative impact and influences on society.

Well it happened within a few short years of my life Strumms. Ireland of today is totally different to Ireland in the 70's and 80's.

Once undermined as you correctly point out, (I personally think it started with Bishop Casey) things changed very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well that's true but religious background has an influence on culture long after the population has turned to atheism.

Very true, despite being post religious secular states, no one could deny the obvious influence that Lutheranism has had on the nordic countries or Presbyterianism has had on new Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »
    A lot of unionists are very insular, and don't like folk moving into their areas.

There are many cases of immigrants homes being attacked.

Many folk in rural Ireland don't like people from two parishes over moving in, we are little different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Im disgusted with the bonfires

Don’t mind the marching but the co2 released by the bonfires is unreal

Great, the highlights are on BBC NI at 10:40.

Turned on for a few minutes. Everyone programmed to say ‘this is a family day out’.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

And the dioxins , the smoke particles, the rubber tyres emissions and whatever other stuff buried beneath?

And the dioxins , the smoke particles, the rubber tyres emissions and whatever other stuff buried beneath?

Agree.

If it were in a green area they’d impose the full weight of their war machine to make sure bonfires weren’t lit.

Hypocritical backstaards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

There is a bonfire in Belfast quite close to the Westlink coming into the city from the M1, passed it last night as it was burning and could feel the heat in the car!

Turned on for a few minutes. Everyone programmed to say ‘this is a family day out’.
    I take it they didn’t cover any of the bands playing their sectarian songs? They never really like to cover that aspect of proceedings for some reason..

armaghlad wrote: »
    I take it they didn’t cover any of the bands playing their sectarian songs? They never really like to cover that aspect of proceedings for some reason..

All the songs are ultra sectarian

• Registered Users Posts: 21,961 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You are getting at the nub of what still has to happen in northern Ireland NIMAN.

I think that female police officer talked herself into a corner yesterday, it will be interesting to see if there are any repercussions with her 'We don't have the power' remarks. Because I think they would have plenty of 'powers' if they genuinely wanted to use them

Shall see what happens next month as the hoods from the bogside try to build that bonfire

armaghlad wrote: »

No funnily enough. Have no idea what they are playing to be honest. No one spat at by a band member either yet.

Feel sorry for the kids being indoctrinated into this crap. At least they have the internet now to find out things for themselves.

No funnily enough. Have no idea what they are playing to be honest. No one spat at by a band member either yet.
    They play the tunes, the supporters sing the lyrics. Saw a few renditions of the billy boys, famine song, simply the best etc on social media. Family day out indeed lol

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying the nationalist side have a big event in a few weeks for a weekend

_blaaz wrote: »
    Perhaps you could.outline what this rant has to do with your AMA on orange culture/july 12th experiences?

Can’t answer anything unless they can fire it back on republicans for some whataboutary

Am I right in saying the nationalist side have a big event in a few weeks for a weekend

Féile an Phobail instead of an official bonfire will be in West Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 45,260 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Weird culture it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

But the main reason Catholics aren't joining is because of poor pay and conditions and their better educational attainment

Hmmm. No issue then. Nothing to do with fellow Catholics blowing their legs off. At all, at all,...

votecounts wrote: »
    could you not burn a few tricolors as this is what your lot seem good at. "

My lot? What’s that then?

votecounts wrote: »
    could you not burn a few tricolors "

Ive already said burning the flag of a neighbouring country is wrong so no I wouldn’t burn any Irish tricolours. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah, funny innit....We had a lot of family days out as kids, although I don’t remember one where I was ever encouraged to attack Gardai or members of the press or anyone else for that matter.

Yeah, funny innit....We had a lot of family days out as kids, although I don’t remember one where I was ever encouraged to attack Gardai or members of the press or anyone else for that matter.

https://twitter.com/stevenmdunne/status/1149617590576111616

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that at the parade today my kids were encouraged to attack the police or press of anyone else? This is just getting weird now.

Advertisement