Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I haven't been this disturbed by a trailer since they dug up the corpse of Cher and stuck her in the Mamma Mia 2 trailer.

Not Linda Hamilton too?! Noooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In the line "Because I was her"... towards the end, it sounds a little like younger Sarahs voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well at first blush it looks to be getting back to basics anyway, a straightforward "cat & mouse" chase narrative, which is welcome after the labyrinthine nonsense of Genisys. The CGI looks pretty rough though - here's hoping that's WIP.

Looks like the teenage girl is the target, but we don't get a why, so bonus points for the trailer not spoiling everything.

Bit divided on it myself. Like the music, love Hamilton, Mackenzie Davis is well suited to the role imho. One slight concern is the over the top flight sequence. Don't get why it keeps being done in so many movies.

batgoat wrote: »
    Bit divided on it myself. Like the music, love Hamilton, Mackenzie Davis is well suited to the role imho. One slight concern is the over the top flight sequence. Don't get why it keeps being done in so many movies.

That scene is the one downside for me. I was hoping they would resist OTT CGI action that make your eyes role.

Longer Cameron interview. Gives away some additional nuggets. Confirms Arnie is yet again a T-800 *sigh*

• Advertisement

So black colour of the terminator skeleton.. carbon fibre maybe? or something mixed with carbon? titanium?
    *googles*
    Carbotanium? Is that a thing?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbotanium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

My guess is, since they "delayed" judgement day, John Connor is no longer the new leader of the resistance as he will likely be granddad/dead when the time comes and the mexican girl is the new "Sarah Connor" who will give birth to the new leader. Passing of the torch no doubt indeed..

As for how it looks, the effects look terrible, the cgi looks on par with syfy channel sh!te. How does T2 still look better nearly 30 years later? :confused:

I wasnt sold on Gabriel Luna playing ghost rider, but all in all he done a good job. I can't see him being a good Terminator though, hopefully I'm wrong again..

I'm not very hopeful after that trailer If I'm honest, it looks like yet another feminist circle jerk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

nix wrote: »
    As for how it looks, the effects look terrible, the cgi looks on par with syfy channel sh!te. How does T2 still look better nearly 30 years later? :confused:

T2 used mostly practical effects didn't it? They always look better than CGI IMO.

I always find they've never quite mastered people with CGI yet, they look too rubbery or something.
    Worst example I remember seeing at the time was Blade 2, that one in particular stuck in my mind

So..
    • All Happens in 36 hours
    • "This is gonna be an R-Rated movie so I can swear"
    • 3 Film arc if this film is successful in the box office

Starting to feel the trailer hasn't given away a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

That Cameron video...

"How many empowered over 60 female characters are there? None"

".. she is bad grandma with a shotgun!"

Yeah, cos we haven't seen that anywhere in the last year...

971479.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tazzimus wrote: »
    T2 used mostly practical effects didn't it? They always look better than CGI IMO.

I always find they've never quite mastered people with CGI yet, they look too rubbery or something.
    Worst example I remember seeing at the time was Blade 2, that one in particular stuck in my mind

Apart from the T-1000 yeah, like Jurassic Park there was very 'little' CGI in Terminator 2.

The same complaint about CGI quality has been made about the MCU films; that the Iron Man FX from (say) 2010s sequel looks better than Infinity Wars equivalent. I think the problem comes down to how much like sweatshops FX companies have become, and how little time or money they're given to get the job done.

ILM were the only game in town in the early 90s so if you wanted your cutting edge FX, you waited. Now I believe FX houses are under pressure to delivery more, with less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I think it looks fantastic! A return to form for the series.

cop on to yourself. Better CGI in a condom

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Hmm......not looking good at all, is it ?

Nothing to really grab you, which has to be the point of teasers. They've done a lot of talking on this one, Miller and Cameron, so they have to deliver something to wash away the bad taste of the previous efforts.

Always willing to keep an open mind, but not feeling it at all with that teaser. Gonna take a hell of lot more than.....'ooohh, look ! Its Linda !'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Well that looks awful.

What's with the cheap looking CGI???

Looks like Arnie is reduced to a cameo. Prob not a terminator but just the guy they based the terminators features on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

py2006 wrote: »
    Looks like Arnie is reduced to a cameo. Prob not a terminator but just the guy they based the terminators features on.

Hard to say.......ignoring T3 as they do they can, of course, go down that route, but they can just as easily fudge some explanation about how he's around post T2's end.....different cyborg from the future, or a wizard did it etc

Production preview teaser, released at the same time as the trailer earlier, has him listed at T-800, but who knows ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Well that looks awful.

What's with the cheap looking CGI???

Wouldn't be hugely concerned about the CGI, won't be out until November so likely still work to be done.

Cameron says in his interview that he is a terminator.

Also that fight scene involving Gabriel Luna looks like it takes place on the US/Mexico border and they are border guards rather than the army.

Also the train they are on top of with the South American migrants on it...(which could indicate them returning to the US side of the border later in the movie presumably)

I hope they don't go the route of embedded political messaging all over this with the border as a prop.

It's not required. Just tell a good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly not hugely gone on that trailer. It looks perfectly fine as an entertaining popcorn flick and I'd be the first to go and see it, but it doesn't really give much ground to expect a lot more from it than Genisys.

Over-designed, with far too much going on, completely unnecessarily, in half of the scenes in the trailer. I wish they would resist that urge to make everything these days a huge CGI-driven, explosion filled, assault on the senses.

Like, it works for Marvel sure, but there's an underlying intelligence to most of those movies that justifies it, or even enhances the experience to a large degree.

With stuff like Genisys, it's just explosion after explosion, quip after quip, with very little actual meat on the bones (or should I say, endoskeleton...) to make any sort of meaningful or lasting impression.

Entertaining, but Terminator needs to be radically pared down and rebooted in a far more meaningful, grounded and thoughtful way than the trailer appears to suggest this movie is doing.

Something like a T1/T2 hybrid, rather than a T3/Genisys hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Impossible physics is not what I'm looking for in this movie.

• Advertisement

I was hoping for a return to the darker imagery of the first too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Christ sake.
    Can they not just leave feminism to one side. Ruined already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Christ sake.
    Can they not just leave feminism to one side. Ruined already

Sarcasm, or are you that delicate that more than one female lead has you screaming "feminism?" For god's sake don't ever watch Thelma and Louise, you might have an aneurism there and then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sarcasm, or are you that delicate that more than one female lead has you screaming "feminism?"

Ruins movies and franchises.
    Remember the all female Ghostbusters cast? Pile of puke

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well the poster worked better than that Trailer.

God it looks Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Looks garbage.
    Also looks like a TV show with its production quality.

Apples and oranges but if you want to beat a drum because there's some women in the cast, go for it. I'm fairly sure whether this film lives or dies it won't be because, GOSH, the lead hero is a woman. The terminator franchise was was already ruined before you got so triggered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not a very good trailer. And I'm not enthused by whatever bit of the premise and plot was revealed here. The terminator vs terminator thing feels exhausted but I assume there's more to it that's not being revealed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: the gender make-up of the cast, there's still John Connor, Arnold and the main terminator who are all men and I assume main characters. And there are what - three women? So it's hardly Lady Ghostbusters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

LOL

Advertisement