Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card Dental Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

marti8 wrote: »
    After several phonecalls etc have finally established that the fillings are 2 per calendar year even though every single dentist in the town we live in were telling us the opposite, contacted the HSE in Dublin (the Primary Care Reimbursement section) and were told it is per calendar year. However the checkup is every 12 months, so if you have a checkup lets say in Sept 2010, you can't have anothe until Sept 2011. But if you have say 2 fillings in Dec 2010, you can have another 2 in Jan 2011 (or whenever you need them)

Also phoned dentists in Cork and Dublin and seems many are under the impression that it is every 12 months for fillings......set them straight on that. It raises questions however for any medical card holders who have paid when they didn't need to pay...are they now entitled to reimbursement? They would have only paid because their dentist would have told them they had to pay, raises a few questions me thinks......

Okay, so I got a medical card for the first time in my life last April.
    I needed loads of dental work in June so I had two fillings (paid for by medical card) then I had four more (paid for by myself)

Last week, I was eating and felt bits of my tooth in my food. One of my teeth that I previously had filled is crumbling away!

So I rang dentist and booked in for appt next week. I was under the impression from post above on boards.ie that it was calender year but she said most definitely not. So I just rang HSE and she said that it's definitely from date of procedure.. I would love to know where you got this info?!

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I know it all seems quite crazy but the latest correspondence we dentists received from HSE is that they now go by the callendar year for everything (ie, exam and fillings)

So you can for example have an exam and 2 fillings in Oct, and then the following Jan have exam and 2 fillings (in different teeth) again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I might need to get a 3 piece bridge redone.
    would the MC cover it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

would the MC cover it.?

Not a chance, sorry....

would the MC cover it.?

Not a chance, sorry....

looks like I'm going back north to the guy who did it initially or to Slovakia when visiting the inlaws

• Advertisement

looks like I'm going back north to the guy who did it initially or to Slovakia when visiting the inlaws

Sounds like a fun trip......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

How long ago was it done the first time....?

How long ago was it done the first time....?

it was done about 12 years ago. the dentist in slovakia last year thought there was a bit of decay under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

Just to clarify on post above:

The examination is 1/year (i.e 1 today 28/03/11, next 1 on 28/03/12
    The 2 fillings are 2/calendar year (i.e between 01/01/11 - 31/12/11)
    also as well as extractions prescriptions are covered and any treatment needed to stop bleeding post extraction!

don't know if this helps :)

does this just refer to a simple extraction.. because i need to get out a wisdom tooth which hasnt fully erupted and which is causing recurring infections and a lot of pain but was told could only get it done under the medical card at the dental hosp which has waiting list of up to 2 years. realistically need to get it done sooner rather than later but its looking like i'll have to come up with 300-350 to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Friend had a filling last year on med card. now that tooth is pain/sore. Understand may need root canal which will also mean refill won't it? Will mc cover any of that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Departed wrote: »
    Friend had a filling last year on med card. now that tooth is pain/sore. Understand may need root canal which will also mean refill won't it? Will mc cover any of that

Won't cover the RC

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

So am i right.
    It covers 2 fillings
    all necessary extractions are covered.
    1 examination.
    The examination is 1/year (i.e 1 today 28/03/11, next 1 on 28/03/12
    The 2 fillings are 2/calendar year (i.e between 01/01/11 - 31/12/11)
    also as well as extractions prescriptions are covered and any treatment needed to stop bleeding post extraction!

Also i have discovered for a child to avail of cover they have to be over 16 years of age.
    My appointment last week the dentist suggested i see the hygienist is this covered.
    Thanks.

Just trying to tidy it up as the info was all over the place.

triona1 wrote: »
    So am i right.
    It covers 2 fillings
    1 extraction.
    1 examination.
    Also i have discovered for a child to avail of cover they have to be over 16 years of age.
    My appointment last week the dentist suggested i see the hygienist is this covered.
    Thanks.
    I do not think it is limited in extractions. ask the hse 1850 241850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yep all necessary extractions are covered.

Thanks Departed
    Lucky i only needed 1 extraction.but do need 4 fillings,2 are covered so i'm getting the worst ones done on Thursday.Have to ask the cost at my surgery for other 2 fillings.
    I'm sure my dentist said hygienist is this covered ill have to ask again.

Rockin.
    You should read my phobia post its the last one on the thread.
    I used to be terrified i go no bother now.Its amazing when you walk out and the work is done.I feel so cool after it now lol.

triona1 wrote: »
    Thanks Departed
    Lucky i only needed 1 extraction.but do need 4 fillings,2 are covered so i'm getting the worst ones done on Thursday.Have to ask the cost at my surgery for other 2 fillings.
    I'm sure my dentist said hygienist is this covered ill have to ask again.
    welcome ;)

Slightly ot but people on Disability Allowance are not limited necessarily to two flling a year. there are a list of conditions where more can be covered. HSE will give info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Just wondering about braces under the medical card.

Back when i was in primary school i was referred to see an orthodontist but he just dismissed me at the time :( had no interest in the job from what we gathered.

I then changed from the local dental clinic to a private dentist when i was in secondary, i explained that i was told to get braces. she agreed with me.. and said that it could be possible to get them under the medical card.. But that was over year ago now..

so whats the story now. do i have to go privately about getting them done or is there point in joining this list? :confused:

Its not for cosmetic. have overcrowding which was neglected:(

Jhcx wrote: »
    Just wondering about braces under the medical card.

Back when i was in primary school i was referred to see an orthodontist but he just dismissed me at the time :( had no interest in the job from what we gathered.

I then changed from the local dental clinic to a private dentist when i was in secondary, i explained that i was told to get braces. she agreed with me.. and said that it could be possible to get them under the medical card.. But that was over year ago now..

so whats the story now. do i have to go privately about getting them done or is there point in joining this list? :confused:

Its not for cosmetic. have overcrowding which was neglected:(
    see post 44

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

Rockin wrote: »
    Current medical card dental coverage as of February 2011

an examination,
    2 fillings (emergency)
    as many extractions as required

Hey ya Rockin, Just wondering if this still stands now? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 andodenis.

Originally Posted by Rockin

an examination,
    2 fillings (emergency)

I was wondering about some things
    1/ Is this the same level of coverage for Medical card holders now, it hasn't been changed or reduced, has it?
    2/ Does the filling have to be an emergency filling? How is this defined? Is it the dentist that defines what an emergency is?
    3/ I have broken part of my tooth, the filling in the tooth is still in place, but I will need a new filling to make sure it stays there, is this counted as an emergency?
    4/ Does the dentist of the medical card holder have the right to refuse to cover some of the things that are supposed to be covered? Can he pick & choose & decide himself what level of coverage to provide? Or does he have to provide the full level of coverage?
    I just want to make sure of a few things before I visit the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tfjmor

Rockin wrote: »

an examination,
    2 fillings (emergency)

Today,4/12/12,:mad: my dentist informed that the current treatments allowed by the HSE under the medical card scheme are:
    1 - annual check up & extractions only. Fillings not covered.

tfjmor wrote: »

Today,4/12/12,:mad: my dentist informed that the current treatments allowed by the HSE under the medical card scheme are:
    1 - annual check up & extractions only. Fillings not covered.

2 fillings per year are covered afaik...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Need a false tooth, is any of this cost covered by medical card?

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Here is the latest update from the HSE updated 18/2/13

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/healthpromotion/dental/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 yohanlon

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    Need a false tooth, is any of this cost covered by medical card?

Your dentist can send a form for approval to see if this can be covered, the rule is it has to be for aestethics so if its a front tooth you have a good chance as opposed to a back tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I know you can't get root canal treatment on the medical card but is there even a reduced rate or something for mc holders? I've already had one tooth removed that I was told probably could've been kept if I got a root canal but I couldn't afford it. I really don't want to have to do that again.

You are entitled to have root canal on your first 3 teeth each quadrant.as in front tooth, next one and eye tooth anything back is considered cosmetic, other than that the medical card will pay for an extraction. Maybe put your name on the waiting list at a dental hospital where the price will be way less but is time consuming??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kanno

Are you limited to one dentist with the medical card or can you go to different dentists during the year ,i.e get extraction with dentist A and filling with dentist B ?

• Advertisement

Your not tied to any dentist with a medical card like you are with a doctor so can get treatment done whereever you like, however the first dentist you visit will more than likely do your examination and claim it on your card so visiting a 2nd dentist you may have to pay privately for an exam before they'll do fillings.
    Hope this helps

Advertisement