Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOMEONE KILL ME!!!!! (not an emo thread)

• 05-02-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

As I type one of my wisdom teeth is abcessed. This is an absolutely unbelieveable amount of pain (i would honestly say **** all my teeth at this point and get them all removed if i could :p ).
    As you can see im writing this early on a Sunday morning, probably the first sunday ive been up early in years! Now thats out of the way, to the questions.

Well obviously i have to go to the dentist about this, so im gonna try go tomorrow morning. I was just wondering:

How much would an extraction for an abcesses wisdom tooth cost?
    How long will it take to recover?
    How painful? (probably not as bad as this)
    Is there anything like stitches involved or does it just come out in one go?
    Recommendation for the pain? (I've had it since Friday Morning, so it has been torturing me all weekend....thats right....every second...with every heartbeat...BANG....BANG.....BANG.....)

All I can say is thanks to everyone in advance. I really dont expect a reply for a few hours because what sane person get up on a Sunday. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Oh if i happen to get an early reply, sorry about the last line. Remember, its the tooth not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The crazy new [url=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=627[/url]Dental Issues forum[/url] might be of interest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

Had an abscess once and the pain was crippling, the dentist will probably give you some painkillers and antibiotics for a couple of days before taking out the tooth. Until you get to the dentist i think you can get something from the chemist that covers the abscess and takes away some of the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Hey Yook,

Toothache is the worst kind of pain in my opion ....I think the best painkillers to get....that worked for me when i got toothache last...were nuerifin extra(excuse the spelling)

I find they kick in after about 15mins...but again tis only a temp solution

Daz

MR DAZ wrote:
    Hey Yook,

Toothache is the worst kind of pain in my opion ....I think the best painkillers to get....that worked for me when i got toothache last...were nuerifin extra(excuse the spelling)

I find they kick in after about 15mins...but again tis only a temp solution

Daz

Nice one man, i'll have to head down to the pharmacy and get some.

Anyone have any ideas on the price of extraction and antibiotics etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The dentist should be able to give you some nice and strong pain killers. I think the name begins with an A...

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Best pain relief is: Tramil (Fantastic angesia) Neurofen Plus (Has Codine). About 250Mg 4/24 PO.
    Using a product called MediGel. It is a light local anestethic. Put it on the gums. Will numb after 5 minutes
    Oldie but a goodie, Clove Oil. Apply with a Q-tip and bite down on it.

This should relieve the pain. If not, the Dentist On Call service can come out to you. All they can do is give you painkillers.

How do I contact the Dublin Dental School and Hospital Out of Hours Emergency Service?
    Telephone (01) 612 7200

* Your call will be connected to an answering service
    * After you hear the beep tone, state clearly your name and the telephone number and where you can be reached for the next two hours
    * A dentist will telephone you as soon as possible and advise you as to what to do next.

If that doesn't work, take the dose I took when I had an absess. Take 1 bottle of Bacardi, 1 Bottle of Coke. Consume till empty. Pain will be there, but hey, yo uwont notice or care!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I feel your pain!

Happened to me before and the pain was so bad I almost passed out a couple of times. I rang a friend of mine for a favour and he got me straight into a dentist within 30min's.

The dentist gave me a local anesthetic injection, had me wait in the waiting room for 5mins. Then he yanked my tooth out! the pain was gone instantly. That was one of the happiest days of my life and it only cost me 40 euros! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Yook wrote:

How much would an extraction for an abcesses wisdom tooth cost?
    How long will it take to recover?
    How painful? (probably not as bad as this)
    Is there anything like stitches involved or does it just come out in one go?
    Recommendation for the pain? (I've had it since Friday Morning, so it has been torturing me all weekend....thats right....every second...with every heartbeat...BANG....BANG.....BANG.....)
    Sorry about your pain, ive had it before and its a nightmare. an extraction for a lower back wisdom tooth can cost anything from 100-1500 euro depending on whether u need to be sedated or need an invisit to a hospital for recovery and whether u have vhi.
    it can take 2 weeks to recover, and there are stiches involved but nothing too serious.
    i think u need antibiotics now and not an extraction, try to get some from a doctor if u cant see a dentist. in the meantime, swill your mouth with warm-hot water with loads of salt in it and take some painkillers like ibuprofin, hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I had to cut my holiday short because of a damn abcess. Without doubt the most unbelievably excruciating pain I have ever experienced.
    I had a sleepless night before I took the initiative and went to a dentist at 8 o'clock the next day. Bear in mind that all this happened while I was in Montreal last August and was on a tight budget. What happened was I got root canal treatment which resulted in a 500 dollar payout (bear in mind I would have payed or done anything to get rid of the pain!!).
    The two options when if you get a abcess is:
    1. Removal of the tooth (cheap option, but of course you loss a tooth)
    2. Root canal treatment (expensive, prob between 500-1000 euro, but you dont lose the tooth

Advertisement