Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRO Records

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Probably when we're in the Register ourselves...

Oh we're all in it. Many will have 2 entries! Just not the online version.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote: »
    Marriages before 1882 and deaths before 1891 are not yet available but will be added at some future date.
    VirginiaB wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when 19c civil records will appear in images on Irishgenealogy.ie? That is, marriages before 1882 and deaths before 1891? They are really essential for many, especially for those of us whose ancestors emigrated during the Famine and aftermath. Family who remained in Ireland had died before those cut-off dates.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    Send them an email and ask for an update!
    VirginiaB wrote: »
    OK, I'm laughing. But I will send that email--or tear-stained note on pastel stationery.

I e-mailed them 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a response yet. This is becoming interminable; hurry up already. It's so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Courtesy of "Who Do You Think you Are" Magazine - 26th. October 2017.

"Irish GRO confirms new record releases after IGRS raises concerns

The General Register Office (GRO) of Ireland has confirmed that it is still working on earlier historic record releases after the Irish Genealogical Research Society (IGRS) expressed concern about delays.

In 2016, the Irish Department of Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht (DCHG) published images of historic civil registers on its free website, IrishGenealogy.

The initial tranche included births back to 1864, marriages back to 1845 and deaths back to 1891. At the beginning of this year, the GRO promised to supply marriages as far back as 1845 and deaths back to 1864, along with records for 1916 and 1917, by mid-2017.

However, in a blog post on 13 October IGRS pointed out that the project had “gone very quiet” and asked when the “crucial” records would be available.

In response, a DCHG spokesperson told Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine that the GRO was still “working on” a tranche of earlier death records, as well as an additional year of birth, marriage and death records, which would be added to IrishGenealogy shortly, along with the earlier marriage records.

They added that the department hoped to release further information on the update “within the next few weeks”. "

Link - 4th. Story down.
    http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/news/genealogy-news-roundup-living-dna-announces-global-family-tree-plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

BowWow wrote: »
    In response, a DCHG spokesperson told Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine that the GRO was still “working on” a tranche of earlier death records, as well as an additional year of birth, marriage and death records, which would be added to IrishGenealogy shortly, along with the earlier marriage records.

They added that the department hoped to release further information on the update “within the next few weeks”. "

Not particularly hopeful; it's just standard department speak.
    It's almost verbatim what I was told in May.
    The General Register Office (GRO) are working on a tranche of Marriage (pre 1882) and Death (pre 1891) records as well as an additional year of all Birth, Marriage and Death Records. These will be added soon. Further details will be publicised on the website in due course.

I spoke to their tech man at BTOP and he was the least vague he ever was. He actually said "in the next few weeks" - previously it was a in a couple of months. I actually believed him this time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I too asked the question at BTOP and was told 'soon' by the lady on the stand and when pressed she added 'before Christmas'.

I too asked the question at BTOP and was told 'soon' by the lady on the stand and when pressed she added 'before Christmas'.

Which Christmas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What I don't understand is that all this stuff is already primed to go - remember those couple of weeks when everything up to recent times was available??! It should be just a matter of flicking a switch in order to filter by certain years.

Well, they were only the indexes in 2014, not the actual images.

Also, consider a situation like this. Births after the end of 1916 cannot be shown. Someone's December 1916 birth is registered late in February 1917. All the other births on that page have to be redacted. The indexes don't show the exact birth date in the old format but do after the image is added but the date of registration is not in the index. So a computer program or a human needs to check all late registered births.

I do think this project could have been completed sooner, or indeed, held back until it was already to go at once, so I'm not defending them, just want to point out problems we might not consider.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Is it the same people responsible for delivering the initial tranche and the tranche we've all been waiting on?

I've worked in IT for enough years to realise that nothing is trivial.
    However there's a marked difference between the delivery of the first tranche and the vague language around the current tranche.
    Communication of timelines with the end users (us) has been non-existent.

• Advertisement

I believe it is the same people, i.e. the staff of the GRO with technical assistance from people in the Dept of Culture, Heritage & Gaeltacht.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

In fairness to the staff at the GRO the delay doesn't seem to be of their making. Having spoken to them at length about the long delays between updating of records, they have sent all information required to the relevant dept and seem to be as much in the dark as everyone else in regards to the delays. They have also sent info for earlier records marriages and deaths which have also not been uploaded.

Is the website down at the moment for everybody?
    https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Yes.

Deep breaths everyone!

Genealogy Forum Mod

fish%20holding%20breath.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

never even spotted there was an issue - always use the direct links

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Emailed them requesting an update and got this reply today: "We have had to revert to the GRO regarding some of the data. We hope to have this finalised within the next few weeks. Further details will be publicised on the website in due course."

Not sure if that's any less vague!

They have been very consistent in the vagueness of their answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Not sure if this is in the right place, but a tip for irishgenealogy.ie.

You can find all births for a particular pair of parents by putting both their surnames in the Surname field (separated by a space), and leaving the First Name field blank. Handy if you are trying to find children whose existence you don't know of or perhaps simply can't find their name under a common spelling.

This only works after a certain date when mother's former names were on the cert, mind (after 1900 or so).

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

oceanclub wrote: »

You can find all births for a particular pair of parents by putting both their surnames in the Surname field (separated by a space), and leaving the First Name field blank. Handy if you are trying to find children whose existence you don't know of or perhaps simply can't find their name under a common spelling.

This only works after a certain date when mother's former names were on the cert, mind (after 1900 or so).

P.

Just tried that - it works - great tip!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Every day's a school day!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

oceanclub wrote: »

You can find all births for a particular pair of parents by putting both their surnames in the Surname field (separated by a space), and leaving the First Name field blank. Handy if you are trying to find children whose existence you don't know of ....

great tip - thanks. Much easier than using the 'advanced' search option

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Can anyone help to locate two civil marriage records & a death record:-

Aug 1879, Galbally parish church entry "In Limerick, William J. Wilkinson & Bridget Blackburn were married".

c1910/1911 James Blackburn & Catherine/Katie Heffernan. 1911 census recorded as married under 1 year.

c1931 Death of James Blackburn. I can't remember why I think that he died in 1931, maybe I had seen a record on the Calendar of Wills but now I can't locate the reference. His farm had been transferred to his widow by 1933.

Both Wilkinson & Blackburn lived in Civil Parish of Clonbeg, Co. Tipperary (Galbally, Co. Limerick).
    Tks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »
    Well found, the 'e' at the end put me off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well found, the 'e' at the end put me off.

The '18' in the transcript nearly put me off.

'Blackbyrne' also showing up in search results...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

montgo wrote: »
    Can anyone help to locate two civil marriage records & a death record:-

Aug 1879, Galbally parish church entry "In Limerick, William J. Wilkinson & Bridget Blackburn were married".

c1910/1911 James Blackburn & Catherine/Katie Heffernan. 1911 census recorded as married under 1 year.

c1931 Death of James Blackburn. I can't remember why I think that he died in 1931, maybe I had seen a record on the Calendar of Wills but now I can't locate the reference. His farm had been transferred to his widow by 1933.

Both Wilkinson & Blackburn lived in Civil Parish of Clonbeg, Co. Tipperary (Galbally, Co. Limerick).
    Tks.
    The following church record is on rootsireland but no civil record there:

03-Aug-1879 Parish / District: GALBALLY & AHERLOW
    County: Co. Limerick

Husband: William Wilkinson
    Wife: Bridget Blackburne
    Address:
    Denomination: Roman Catholic
    Roman Catholic Occupation:
    Husband's Father: Wilkinson
    Wife's Father Name: Blackburne
    Address:
    Denomination:
    Husband's Mother
    Wife's Mother Name:
    Address:
    Denomination:
    Witness 1: William Kinnane
    Witness 2: Ellen Russell
    Address:
    Notes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

spurious wrote: »

Many thanks for locating his death record. Much appreciated.

Advertisement