Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orbo goes on demo (sale?) .. breaks physics :-/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Someone who gives answers full of jargon in an everyday interview is deliberately attempting to obfuscate to mask the fact that they're talking absolute nonsense.

Everyone wants to be understood when they're communicating with another person, so will naturally dial down what they're talking about to ensure they get their point across.

Deliberately refusing to do this is a dead giveaway that someone is a complete spoofer.

It's clear in the interviews that this is what McCarthy does.

One thing though is that it's not necessarily a "scam" for investors. Venture capitalists don't care if it works. They only care if it sells. For that, confidence in a CEO and a marketing campaign are more important than confidence in a product. If McCarthy can convince the general public (or even a niche market - he only has to sell 100,000 of these things) that his nonsense is worth buying, investors will be happy.

If he told them he was building a free energy system that could solve the world's problems and be freely licensed, he would have no investors.

23 people working for Steorn. I have difficulty seeing any good engineers wasting their career on this nonsense. I wonder if McCarthy is holding a lot of the engineering reigns and keeping parts of the "system" secret, convincing the few engineers he does have that their periphery work is worthwhile. 20 of those 23 people are probably sales, marketing and support. Then 3 people working in software engineering and some mechanical/electronic engineering.

edit: Actually, looking at some of the sites talking about it, it's clear that they're also pulling a double-bluff on this one and expecting to make significant sales to people who have more money than sense and are buying one to see if they can figure out how it works. Hence why they're not sending any demo units to technology magazines or experts.

You are all so way off the mark! This is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Care to expand? Any hypothesis based in real science to explain what they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

@seamus: Investors of course are only interested in making a return on their investment, but as soon as they sell one of these they will be facing legal action for fraud and any investment will be following all that went before it down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

zuutroy wrote: »
    @seamus: Investors of course are only interested in making a return on their investment, but as soon as they sell one of these they will be facing legal action for fraud and any investment will be following all that went before it down the toilet.

My guess is that they've been very careful in how they've worded what the Orbo actual does. He said in the interview that they're giving a 12 month warranty but I wonder what does that actually cover. Have they ever claimed how many charge cycles it can do? If it works a couple of time, then breaks (runs out of juice) have they actually lied at any stage?

The only way I can see this could be plausible would be if it was somehow harvesting energy from the environment, through either heat or EM waves. It'd be interested to know if it operates in a Faraday Cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

papu wrote: »
    Care to expand? Any hypothesis based in real science to explain what they're doing?

I too am curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I too am curious.

poWi-fi maybe

Just to show off, the team also connected their antenna to a Jawbone fitness tracker and used it to recharge the coin batter that powered it. “Using this, we charge a Jawbone UP24 device in the vicinity of the PoWi-Fi router from a no-charge state to 41% charged state in 2.5 hours,” they say.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/538031/first-demonstration-of-a-surveillance-camera-powered-by-ordinary-wi-fi-broadcasts/

http://ujvilagtudat.blogspot.ie/2015/08/tesla-forradalom-tudosoknak-sikerult.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gctest50 wrote: »

Yeah it had crossed my mind that they might be doing something like that. It would be pretty sneaky, since it might technically work, but it would be nothing like what they're making it out to be. It might be enough to get them off the hook legally when they fleece people for a shite product that's of no use to anyone. I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

http://www.mexiconewsnetwork.com/news/bat-gen/

Seems like the have they the key to power in mexico also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why is it taking Steorn so long to ship out the units to people who have paid for them? Is there an exact ETA for delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

JTMan wrote: »
    Why is it taking Steorn so long to ship out the units to people who have paid for them? Is there an exact ETA for delivery?
    http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/ * , who claims to have ordered one, has great fun speculating on the issue...

*might be a shill, of course :P

Pizzle wrote: »
    My guess is that they've been very careful in how they've worded what the Orbo actual does. He said in the interview that they're giving a 12 month warranty but I wonder what does that actually cover. Have they ever claimed how many charge cycles it can do? If it works a couple of time, then breaks (runs out of juice) have they actually lied at any stage?

The only way I can see this could be plausible would be if it was somehow harvesting energy from the environment, through either heat or EM waves. It'd be interested to know if it operates in a Faraday Cage.
    Indeed.

On similar lines to the first paragraph, I was speculating about how it might play out:

Some buyers dissatisfied, eventually get money back

Some buyers convinced that it did work charging their small devices for a few months. Steorn claims that the eventual failure was due to degradation of the batteries that hold the harvested free energy, and promise to make/send improved versions or upgrade the devices

Steorn makes higher capacity batteries and the devices seems to work for a bit longer

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum, stringing investors along until the CEO retires...

Disclaimer: Just in case it does turn out to operate on the basis of as-yet-undiscovered refinements to the laws of physics, I declare a very minimally 'open mind' on the subject to offset any subsequent embarassment :p

Hang on - maybe Steorn are crowd-sourcing their ongoing business strategy from discussions of the controversy such as this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/ * , who claims to have ordered one, has great fun speculating on the issue...

*might be a shill, of course :P
    Not sure about a shill, but certainly taking a more optimistic view than most.

I think the most likely way this is going to play out now is that they will delay by another 2-4 weeks and then declare with much sadness that there is a fatal manufacturing flaw in the Orbo which means they have to go back to the drawing board and cannot ship any units. 4-8 weeks later, customers will be refunded.

During this time what they're actually doing is using the income to pay off some old debts and look attractive to investors. Once they have the funding locked in, they can then secure new loans to refund the customers and continue on as before.

Steorn have never delivered anything. Ever. I don't see any reason why they would start now. The entire company is based in an illusion that they don't allow people to shatter. By delivering these units, it can be proven once and for all that they're a sham.

Why have images with lines and lines of ready-to-ship units and piles of empty boxes? To give people confidence that a solid, tangible item exists and their €1,200 isn't going into the ether. These are most likely empty cases just plonked onto the countertop - maybe with a USB port glued inside.

There are no videos of the device working. Not even nicely polish Apple-esque mockups videos. The youtube link on the Orbo site has no videos.

They didn't even bother to create a "working" fake with a battery and a USB port to show it charging a phone. That's how obvious it is that these things won't ship.

Edit: Oh wait, there's a picture of a publicity stunt of a phone plugging into a suspiciously battery-size box.

And an hilarious Irish Times interview, in which a very sketchy McCarthy quickly shows a few electronic components and labs doing nothing because the engineers are apparently "camera shy".

seamus wrote: »
    Not sure about a shill, but certainly taking a more optimistic view than most.

I think the most likely way this is going to play out now is that they will delay by another 2-4 weeks and then declare with much sadness that there is a fatal manufacturing flaw in the Orbo which means they have to go back to the drawing board and cannot ship any units. 4-8 weeks later, customers will be refunded.

During this time what they're actually doing is using the income to pay off some old debts and look attractive to investors. Once they have the funding locked in, they can then secure new loans to refund the customers and continue on as before.

Steorn have never delivered anything. Ever. I don't see any reason why they would start now. The entire company is based in an illusion that they don't allow people to shatter. By delivering these units, it can be proven once and for all that they're a sham.

Why have images with lines and lines of ready-to-ship units and piles of empty boxes? To give people confidence that a solid, tangible item exists and their €1,200 isn't going into the ether. These are most likely empty cases just plonked onto the countertop - maybe with a USB port glued inside.

There are no videos of the device working. Not even nicely polish Apple-esque mockups videos. The youtube link on the Orbo site has no videos.

They didn't even bother to create a "working" fake with a battery and a USB port to show it charging a phone. That's how obvious it is that these things won't ship.
    Perhaps.

I wonder what became of the supposed field test in Slattery's pub last year http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/self-charging-battery-causes-a-stir-in-dublin-pub-test-1.2211622
    Someone must know someone who knows how that panned out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Steorn’s Offices Bugged – Miniature Spy Cameras Found

steorn-under-surveillance-3.jpg?resize=720%2C437

“I am someplace between amused and bemused, one thing for sure is that being in the lab alone at night does not feel as comfortable as it used to!…the cabling in these buildings is all over the place, will take a few days to follow them – it does however look like they head out of the office…”

Source

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Steorn’s Offices Bugged – Miniature Spy Cameras Found

steorn-under-surveillance-3.jpg?resize=720%2C437

“I am someplace between amused and bemused, one thing for sure is that being in the lab alone at night does not feel as comfortable as it used to!…the cabling in these buildings is all over the place, will take a few days to follow them – it does however look like they head out of the office…”

Source
    Ha ha - I'm sure they can monetise this entertainment to pay their bills :pac:

The site also has a link some sort of copy of Slattery's report on the May 'field test' (which I could not find directly online). In any case, I suppose it's not of any interest if it only went over a few days.

Elsewhere just now (can't remember where it was linked from) I came across another claimed Orbo-orderer https://orboblog.wordpress.com/

First Orbo shipped
    acland_ocube1.jpg

Source1

source2

Kind of amazing that the first Orbo they send out is missing a main component. You'd think with all the testing/QC they are doing they could get that bit right.

• Advertisement

€1200 and it does not seem to work. Money back please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gar32 wrote: »
    €1200 and it does not seem to work. Money back please :)

In fairness, it seems like a reasonable idiocy tax. Sure they'd only find something else equally inane to spend it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Well nixmix are we all off the mark as you say? From reading around the internet I can't help but laugh at these Steorn jokers, or should I say delusional scammers

Another spectacular failure and they still haven't showed one working product in 15 years!

Although they've had about €23 million from investors all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Seems like a con. No-one is getting what they ordered. Even the oPhone on test had to go back to the lab on 17th Feb - and nothing since. Orbo buyers got an email saying that they had two options - a refund or wait for another 6-8 weeks.

Pathetic really.

Radio silence from Steorn. Maybe they have done a runner.

JTMan wrote: »
    Radio silence from Steorn. Maybe they have done a runner.
    Update here http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/2016/03/latest-steorn-update-moves-goalposts/

He ends with a note of irrepressible optimism, as always with such followers - it's almost like a religious faith :pac:

The web site claims they are sold out ???

http://orbo.com/collections/all

Sunday Business Post reports:
    - Devices sold last year did not work.
    - Shaun McCarthy gone as CE.
    - 23 million taken from investors. Looking for more money from investors.
    - Company will wind up if it does not get more money.
    - AGM in August.
    - Might take another 7-10 years to develop the technology.

So, Steorn have taken 23 million from shareholders (including rural farmers according to reports) and do not have a working device a decade later.

• Advertisement

Surely this is the end of Steorn now, right?

Advertisement