Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M&S Dine in for 2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Do they sell this stuff off cheap in the 15th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

No. Everything that's in the offer (except the chocolates) are regular store items so they just remain on the shelves as usual until they are sold or clearanced out due to expiration dates. I got it yesterday and noticed it hasn't been half as popular as it was in recent years. Not sure it 's just the €3 increase though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I was in there yesterday and the crowds were three-deep around the 'Dine-In' shelves; there will be nothing left to sell off.

Good deal though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Great deal.

While €28 is a lot to eat at home this is quality food with wine. Compare the cost to a restaurant or very good takeaway and there's no comparison.

If you want cheap, get a €1.99 pizza and a few cans of Lidl/Aldi beer.

If you want to celebrate Valentines with quality food at a good value price, head to M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was in there yesterday and the crowds were three-deep around the 'Dine-In' shelves; there will be nothing left to sell off.

You'd be surprised. I've seen that situation in MS with meal deals and there were literally pallet loads of food standing a few feet away with a dozen or so staff to keep piling it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Tazz T wrote: »
    That's some exchange rate M&S are using. Shouldn't this be in the Rip off Ireland forum.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    it's only increased by a euro since last year, where's the other €2 coming from?
    Paddy tax.

£20 = approx €26 at today's exchange rate.

Sparkling wine has approx €2.50 more duty on it here than UK

Also vat is 23% against 20% on the wine and desert apportioned part of the deal (probably 50%.)

So net of tax and duty, the price M&S are getting is less here than what they get in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I went in this morning at 10 am to get the deal , picked my stuff and got to the counter processed the items and she says "oh I can't sell you the wine till 10.30"
    Well kinda defeats the purpose I say and it doesn't say on the hundreds of signage around , only available from 10.30am .
    I left empty handed . Ridiculous law/ policy .
    It's ok to drink at 10.31 but not 10am :eek
    Surely common sense should prevail .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's ridiculous but I'd say the tills won't allow them put it through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

blingrhino wrote: »
    I went in this morning at 10 am to get the deal , picked my stuff and got to the counter processed the items and she says "oh I can't sell you the wine till 10.30"
    Well kinda defeats the purpose I say and it doesn't say on the hundreds of signage around , only available from 10.30am .

Till software as said above is the main restriction - it won't allow the items to scan usually. Other issue is inspections and/or people who'll report it. Not worth any level of discretion on a till operators part if they end up getting the store massively fined. We have extremely restrictive laws on alcohol sale times in this country unfortunately.

If the wine isn't in a section that's either closed off or signed well with the available hours that's a fairly bad screwup on M&Ss part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The law on sale of alcohol before 10.30am (12.30 Sunday) has been around for years.

Its the law - they won't / can't break it just cos you want them to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

blingrhino wrote: »

Ah jaysus. Common sense did prevail. What are you suggesting, that they would break the law for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The Irish can't be trusted to purchase an alcoholic product when they wish to consume later.

Its been the law for years...... Its an ass of a law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

sandin wrote: »
    £20 = approx €26 at today's exchange rate.

Sparkling wine has approx €2.50 more duty on it here than UK

Also vat is 23% against 20% on the wine and desert apportioned part of the deal (probably 50%.)

So net of tax and duty, the price M&S are getting is less here than what they get in the UK.

That's some exchange rate you're using too. £20 is no more than €24.50.

Advertisement