Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M&S Dine in for 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It translates to €28. A Valentine's Day special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

It's a fair bit more than the usual €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It is, but I found the selection to be decent. I know some people wouldn't consider it a bargain, but I thought the quality and selection was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Was in Dundrum last night and M&S didn't have this advertised outside (they usually do)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

Is this available in the Irish stores at the moment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

groom wrote: »
    It's a fair bit more than the usual €12.

Even what was the "usual €12" has gone up to €14.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭joi99

No increase in price on this deal in the UK. Irish consumers being shafted by M&S (I know there has been an increase in duty on wine but the price increase is ott imo). Not sure I'd consider it a bargain anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

As usual 6 meaty mains and one crappy vegetarian main option - Mushroom Risotto - hardly a special treat.
    Along with the price increase I will be giving this a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Barr wrote: »

I'd echo this question - is it out today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Haven't purchased a 'dine in for 2' in a while.

The price rise killed it for me.

The difference between UK & ROI pricing is becoming ever more stark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes it is, wife picked it up in M&S Liffey Valley today. Scallops, Fillet beef Wellington, bubbly. It's decent value for one of the best ready made meals you can buy in a shop. The Rosado Cava normally retails at about €14 iirc and is not bad value at that

Great thats Friday sorted. Way better than trying to go to a restaurant. I agree it is good value when you consider what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Haven't purchased a 'dine in for 2' in a while.

The price rise killed it for me.

The difference between UK & ROI pricing is becoming ever more stark.

it was originally €12.50 - it's gone up to €14 for the standard dine-in. In the meantime duty on wine has gone up by €2 so M&S have actually absorbed some of the duty.

€28 for the Valentines version is not such great value - you're gaining a starter and some chocolates, and the mains are slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Starters are more upmarket too and some of the wine retails a good bit higher than those that come with the standard meal. That said, I grand you that €28 is not exactly peanuts for a supermarket meal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CWone

Weyhey wrote: »
    As usual 6 meaty mains and one crappy vegetarian main option - Mushroom Risotto - hardly a special treat.
    Along with the price increase I will be giving this a miss.

Totally agree what a pain - especially when they have plenty of decent veggie options that they could include:-(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Might try this actually, like the mains and desserts, and was planning a night in with the OH the local Italian takeaway and a massage for him as his shoulder is giving him gyp

Works out cheaper than the takeaway and a bottle of wine

My local pub is doing a special of two courses and two cocktails for two for €39.99

CWone wrote: »
    Totally agree what a pain - especially when they have plenty of decent veggie options that they could include:-(

You dont win friends with salad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Super. Looking forward to valentines now. Nomn nom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Tazz T

That's some exchange rate M&S are using. Shouldn't this be in the Rip off Ireland forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭macy10

Was this deal €25 last year and previous years? An increase of €3? Am I right?

• Advertisement

macy10 wrote: »
    Was this deal €25 last year and previous years? An increase of €3? Am I right?

yep:
    http://www.cheapeats.ie/2013/02/12/ms-dine-in-for-two-for-e25/

The levy has increased on the wine so that adds to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I saw one of their "meal for one" dishes the other day which had 142% of the RDA of saturated fat! As much as I like their dine in for two meals, almost all combinations have you consuming more than the recommended amount of almost one thing such as saturated fat.

So their meals are tasty but a heart attack waiting to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kingtut wrote: »
    I saw one of their "meal for one" dishes the other day which had 142% of the RDA of saturated fat! As much as I like their dine in for two meals, almost all combinations have you consuming more than the recommended amount of almost one thing such as saturated fat.

So their meals are tasty but a heart attack waiting to happen!

Only if you eat them everyday.

The levy has increased on the wine so that adds to the price.

it's only increased by a euro since last year, where's the other €2 coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's only increased by a euro since last year, where's the other €2 coming from?

What was their response when you emailed them?

loyatemu wrote: »

Paddy tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Doesn't look like great value, I used to like these deals coz I always felt I couldn't buy a bottle and cook a meal for the same price, but when you figure you could cook whats on their menu and buy a bottle of wine for cheaper I wouldnt bother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hardly good value for 28 Eur, go to aldi get there lovely home made soup and steaks and ice cream and a bottle of wine for around 18 Eur saving you 10.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Hardly good value for 28 Eur, go to aldi get there lovely home made soup and steaks and ice cream and a bottle of wine for around 18 Eur saving you 10.

On Valentines night? You might pay more than the tenner you've "saved" in the long run.

The starters in the M&S valentines special are quite good- Coquilles St Jacques, crab, scallops- any of these plus the wine/cava covers the €28.

Advertisement