Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else Overcome their fear of Public Speaking.

• 09-02-2017 4:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

I used to be absolutely terrified of speaking in public. Class presentations would be torture. I would be visibly shaking.

Now though after having to present a few things I am passionate about the fear has almost completely faded so much so that I relish public speaking.

Anyone else have a similar situation i would love to know how you overcame your fear??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

How's it going Andy? I used to do a few presentations in my time and I dreaded them. Absolute sweated buckets in the hour before them. Couldn't concentrate. Didn't matter how much preparation I had done, I just got the nerves and the dry mouth and I was dead to rights.

A pal of mine who I worked with in sales told me 'fake it til you make it' is the only way. It sounds like awful marketing guff and to some extent it is.

It works though. Project confidence. You basically have to take yourself out of your own body and act as someone who has loads of confidence. It really does work. Now, you'll still be aware every so often of how terrifying it all is and get the hot flush when you're standing in front of a room, but it's the only thing that's ever worked for me. Just walk in with a swagger that you don't even really have and pretend you're confident as f*** and keep it up right until you're done.

Advertisement