Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Spring 2021 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Any update on this potential northerly blast heading our way over Easter?

Considerably watered down on tonights ECM,thanks be to fcuk :)
    Looks quite bland on that for Easter
    Touch of NE by day 10
    But you know what they say about day 10's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I'm not sure what the above poster is referring to. The 12Z ECMWF run today still showed the -10c 850hPa flirting with the northern coasts next Thursday.

At this moment in time, the cold spell is still in play.

O2KKn8W.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Typical! Chase a northerly all winter and one may well come along in April. Although, i seem to recall in years gone by we often got potent northerlies in late March into April.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

Typical! Chase a northerly all winter and one may well come along in April. Although, i seem to recall in years gone by we often got potent northerlies in late March into April.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0305/1034374-april-snow-showers/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

we need rubbish weather until the end of May then we might get a Summer......or rubbish weather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just have to include the chart for next Thurs !

Next week ,after some mild days if not feeling relatively warm in places, set to cool down again towards the weekend. Looks like a lot of dry weather up until around Sunday. Models showing it to get very cold around Sunday from a Northerly plunge of Arctic air.

GFS showing it to get cooler earlier than the ECM from Weds. Will see.

invB96C.png

LIDXTyX.png

UOoyUcu.gif

bRdhpVf.gif

jKPHzs0.gif

F59frvq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Winter's not done yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Met app forecasting 19° for Sligo on Wednesday afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I've only ever heard it the other way around?

Really?!!

Goes both ways. In like lamb, out like a lion - or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

Winter's not done yet. :D

At this point in the year winter can fcuk off and not have any notion of coming back before November/December at the earliest.

• Advertisement

LameBeaver wrote: »
    At this point in the year winter can fcuk off and not have any notion of coming back before November/December at the earliest.

Yeh. MT’s forecast not looking good on that front though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Certainly a cold outlook in the models after the mild few days early next week, ECM showing some very cold widespread frosty nights next weekend, could turn wintry again out at the end of the run.

8hIN0zC.gif

kyLIS5f.gif

n8HRRpj.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm astonished by the silence in here considering we're seeing charts like these:

gfs-0-234.png?6
    06_237_ukthickness850.png

ECM1-216.GIF?27-12
    ECM1-240.GIF?27-12
    00_216_thickuk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Haven't seen the charts but cold, wet and windy is a safe bet.
    "In like a Lamb, Out like a Lion" is surely the most accurate of all the weather-lore sayings.
    Only remember one or two exceptional years where March didn't play out that way.

The saying is: 'in like a lion, out like a lamb'.

March usually starts off poor as so close to winter but ends up milder as spring gets underway. Which usually happens in Ireland too - many years our coldest weather is very end of Feb and first few days of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I'm astonished by the silence in here considering we're seeing charts like these:

The charts have only themselves to blame !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Chart from early April 2008. I recall quite frequent snow showers during this time, but they passed over quickly. They may well have been more significant further north but this I don't recall.

ERA_1_2008040612_2.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Chart from early April 2008. I recall quite frequent snow showers during this time, but they passed over quickly. They may well have been more significant further north but this I don't recall.

ERA_1_2008040612_2.png

If you look up some videos on Youtube of April 2008, you can see the snow cover actually wasn't that bad. I recall walking out of the opticians aged 6 to a blinding blizzard that made everything white! Of-course, it melted when the sun came out, but it stuck during daytime hours when it was snowing! Truly incredible.

Another chart from early April 1998:

ERA_1_1998041012_2.png

No doubt this would have brought down some snow showers to places as well. Funny thing is, if you look back on the reanalysis charts for this similar period in April down through the years, northerlies are actually very common and it would seem that Arctic air masses have an easier time getting down towards us than at another point in the year, which may well have something to do with the sea temps between here and there, which are generally at their coldest of the year around this time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

That's the Good Friday Agreement shot :) Bitter Good Friday. Snow showers and -5C at night. 10 April 1998.

TTLF wrote: »
    If you look up some videos on Youtube of April 2008, you can see the snow cover actually wasn't that bad. I recall walking out of the opticians aged 6 to a blinding blizzard that made everything white! Of-course, it melted when the sun came out, but it stuck during daytime hours when it was snowing! Truly incredible.

I remember cycling in heavy snow showers in north Kilkenny, snow sticking to fields initially, the roads above 250m.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Would hopefully bring a decent covering of snow. Let’s hope it comes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What's up with ME they have an orange wind warning for tonight on their weather map on RTE

That's the Good Friday Agreement shot :) Bitter Good Friday. Snow showers and -5C at night. 10 April 1998.

BBC weather forecast from this day. Warning: crap sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7nLoDUp_c

New Moon

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What's up with ME they have an orange wind warning for tonight on their weather map on RTE

Got a notification on my phone about an hour ago as well about potential strong winds.

New Moon

1998 had been an amazing Spring up to that. A few 16c days in mid February here. With hazy sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

compsys wrote: »
    The saying is: 'in like a lion, out like a lamb'.

March usually starts off poor as so close to winter but ends up milder as spring gets underway. Which usually happens in Ireland too - many years our coldest weather is very end of Feb and first few days of March.

It was always in like a lamb, out like a lion

It was always in like a lamb, out like a lion

I've always hear it both ways. Whatever way it comes in, it invariably will go out the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Always in like a lion and out like a lamb I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Remember 98' well - was living in North Kildare at the time. What stood out was a stupidly warm Feb, followed by a wet,cold April with severe frosts that burnt all the vegetation that had come out early after the mild winter. The following summer was muck too - we defo don't want a rerun in 2021!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

As one poster said above, and it's the way I was told growing up, March will always do one or the other. If it comes in like a lion then it will end like a lamb and if it starts out like a lamb it will go out like a lion.

Advertisement